North Carolina Or Georgia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 07:41:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  North Carolina Or Georgia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Which Will Vote Further Left
North Carolina

Georgia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: North Carolina Or Georgia  (Read 4695 times)
Joe Boden
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2020, 02:01:33 PM »

Which one flips first?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 02:13:04 PM »

I’d say GA narrowly, but this question has been asked countless times already, and I still think the difference is fairly negligible either way.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 02:16:23 PM »

North Carolina seems more likely.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 02:20:06 PM »

NC will vote to the left of GA by 4-6 points
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 02:25:47 PM »

NC, but my bold prediction is that both flip
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 02:39:29 PM »

Almost surely Georgia.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 02:42:17 PM »

North Carolina
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 03:49:24 PM »

Georgia, because:
a) Democrats have a lot more room to fall with rural whites in NC than they do in GA.
b) Democrats have a lot less room to gain in suburbia in NC than they do in GA still.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 04:32:34 PM »

Georgia
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 04:40:59 PM »

Might be the easiest question ever asked on this board....

North Carolina.

GEORGIA IS A LIKELY STATE. It’s not flipping anytime soon. It has close calls but never flips.

Texas will flip long before Georgia does
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 05:26:47 PM »

NC. NC and GA are powered by many of the same trendss, making it hard for me to see GA vote to the left of NC. If NC has flipped, GA has probably flipped as well. NC trended to the left of the nation in 2016, despite Clinton's dissapointing performance, so the state is clearly trending left in the long term.
JRP1994

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 05:35:51 PM »

I really don't understand the argument for Georgia voting to the left of North Carolina. For Biden to win Georgia, he'll have to be benefitting from an Obama-level black turnout and over-performing Obama and Clinton among southern white voters. That's not out of the question, but I don't see a scenario where he does well enough among those demographics to win Georgia while simultaneously losing North Carolina, where there hasn't been nearly the exodus of white voters to the GOP.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 05:55:22 PM »

North Carolina obviously
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 06:00:11 PM »

Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 06:01:39 PM »

Out of these Southern non-Florida states, I think the order of flipping is pretty clear: NC>GA>TX

North Carolina obviously flips first for the reasons JRP1994 mentioned, then Georgia flips later of Biden is doing well enough, and then if Texas flips it means both NC and GA already flipped. That being said, the only one of these 3 I realistically see flipping in 2020 is North Carolina.

And on top of that, I could very well see Cooper carrying Biden and Cunningham in North Carolina this year. I think it may well be a reverse of WI/PA/FL 2016.
I can't see such an effect happening in GA or TX, and even if Biden somehow won those, the GOP would hold the Senate seats there regardless.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 06:19:07 AM »

North Carolina.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2020, 07:34:17 AM »

NC due to Pandemic affecting this African American state
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2020, 11:39:55 AM »

Out of these Southern non-Florida states, I think the order of flipping is pretty clear: NC>GA>TX

North Carolina obviously flips first for the reasons JRP1994 mentioned, then Georgia flips later of Biden is doing well enough, and then if Texas flips it means both NC and GA already flipped. That being said, the only one of these 3 I realistically see flipping in 2020 is North Carolina.

And on top of that, I could very well see Cooper carrying Biden and Cunningham in North Carolina this year. I think it may well be a reverse of WI/PA/FL 2016.
I can't see such an effect happening in GA or TX, and even if Biden somehow won those, the GOP would hold the Senate seats there regardless.

Texas seems to be a different situation entirely.  I could just barely see something like this in a polls were wrong scenario (think 2000 where everyone was focused on the wrong states):

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 12:03:25 PM »

I really don't understand the argument for Georgia voting to the left of North Carolina. For Biden to win Georgia, he'll have to be benefitting from an Obama-level black turnout and over-performing Obama and Clinton among southern white voters. That's not out of the question, but I don't see a scenario where he does well enough among those demographics to win Georgia while simultaneously losing North Carolina, where there hasn't been nearly the exodus of white voters to the GOP.

More young voters in Atlanta, and Atlanta has more pull than The Research Triangle or Charlotte for NC. Also fewer ancestral D rural areas that aren't already Republican in GA.

Not to mention Hillary literally did better than Obama's '08 performance in Georgia with little investment, meanwhile NC went rightwards despite investment through the roof.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 12:44:42 PM »

More young voters in Atlanta, and Atlanta has more pull than The Research Triangle or Charlotte for NC. Also fewer ancestral D rural areas that aren't already Republican in GA.

Not to mention Hillary literally did better than Obama's '08 performance in Georgia with little investment, meanwhile NC went rightwards despite investment through the roof.

Hillary didn't do better than Obama.

GA: Obama got 46.9% (08) and 45.39% (12) while Hillary got 45.35%

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 12:51:48 PM »

Yes, but 3rd party vote much higher in 2016.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2020, 12:54:16 PM »

Texas seems to be a different situation entirely.  I could just barely see something like this in a polls were wrong scenario (think 2000 where everyone was focused on the wrong states):

What do you mean by Texas is a completely different situation entirely? How so?
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 12:56:11 PM »

Yes, which took away from the Republican vote total. Johnson votes more than likely would have voted for a different Republican candidate than Trump. The Democrat vote totally in GA hasn't changed, it was the Republican vote totally that did. That leads me to believe that around 45ish is currently the top end of what the Dems can get in GA.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2020, 12:59:51 PM »

Texas seems to be a different situation entirely.  I could just barely see something like this in a polls were wrong scenario (think 2000 where everyone was focused on the wrong states):

What do you mean by Texas is a completely different situation entirely? How so?

Texas is a question of whether a massive currently Lean R demographic (suburban white voters) will realign.  This is also true of Arizona, and for that matter, Kansas.  NC and GA are almost purely about demographic change and whether R margins with incoming retirees (NC) and D margins with incoming black voters (GA) hold into the medium/long run.  Texas has been majority-minority for decades and still votes Republican.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2020, 01:01:06 PM »

Yes, which took away from the Republican vote total. Johnson votes more than likely would have voted for a different Republican candidate than Trump. The Democrat vote totally in GA hasn't changed, it was the Republican vote totally that did. That leads me to believe that around 45ish is currently the top end of what the Dems can get in GA.

Stacey Abrams would like a word.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies