L. D. Smith vs OSR
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:27:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community
  Forum Community Election Match-ups (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  L. D. Smith vs OSR
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for? Who would win?
Smith/Smith

Smith/OSR

OSR/Smith

OSR/OSR

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: L. D. Smith vs OSR  (Read 748 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2020, 06:33:42 AM »

Personally, I like both, but I vote for the one who backs the Democratic presidential nominee against Trump.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 10:31:58 AM »

I don't know who would win, but I'd easily vote for OSR. I wouldn't agree with a number of his policies, but I think if elected to public office, he'd work for pragmatic solutions to urgent problems.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 11:04:36 AM »

Smith, easily. I think he would win, too.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 12:21:48 PM »

Smith, easily. I think he would win, too.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 02:15:18 PM »

I'd probably vote for OSR
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 03:29:52 PM »

LD Smith, but I wouldn’t mind if OSR won.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 03:41:55 PM »

I don't know who would win, but I'd easily vote for OSR. I wouldn't agree with a number of his policies, but I think if elected to public office, he'd work for pragmatic solutions to urgent problems.

Your moderate heroism has given me cancer and it slowly spreads to all my vital organs.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 03:58:00 PM »

I'd vote OSR
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 04:13:35 AM »

Your moderate heroism has given me cancer and it slowly spreads to all my vital organs.

Well, American politics would significantly improve if there was way more moderate heroism in Washington and elsewhere. It would actually function to get things done instead of hackery, finger pointing and insults. Moderate heroism to me doesn't mean selling out just every belief and giving up all convictions, it means arguing about issues, both between and within executive and legislative branches as well as on the campaign trail. Questioning the other side's judgment and not motives. Sometimes it's necessary to take a stand when you don't come together, but the system for a reason requires compromise and current leaders, especially on the right, lost the ability to compromise and get meaningful things done. Not even those, that shouldn't even be subject to major debate.

If Republicans would get rid of the extreme elements and be like OSR, Washington would be a much better place. And if they were in charge, I wouldn't like everything, but I would much rather see Democrats arguing on the issues and get a majority for other policies. For that reason, I'd be supporting him over a socially conservative Democrat like Smith, although my vote is more pro-OSR than anti-Smith.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 04:15:58 AM »

Smith, but I wouldn't be broken up about OSR winning.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 04:22:15 AM »

Write in: Santander
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 04:41:42 AM »

Well, American politics would significantly improve if there was way more moderate heroism in Washington and elsewhere. It would actually function to get things done instead of hackery, finger pointing and insults. Moderate heroism to me doesn't mean selling out just every belief and giving up all convictions, it means arguing about issues, both between and within executive and legislative branches as well as on the campaign trail. Questioning the other side's judgment and not motives. Sometimes it's necessary to take a stand when you don't come together, but the system for a reason requires compromise and current leaders, especially on the right, lost the ability to compromise and get meaningful things done. Not even those, that shouldn't even be subject to major debate.

If Republicans would get rid of the extreme elements and be like OSR, Washington would be a much better place. And if they were in charge, I wouldn't like everything, but I would much rather see Democrats arguing on the issues and get a majority for other policies. For that reason, I'd be supporting him over a socially conservative Democrat like Smith, although my vote is more pro-OSR than anti-Smith.

My problem with your reasoning is that the real difference between "extreme elements" within the Republican Party and the "responsible" ones mostly lies in style, not actual policies (at least not it's core). For this reason I'm greatly disturbed with the presently perpetuated myth that the GOP was somehow more a "sane" party before "Trump hijacked it", but we've seen how "respectable" Republicans like McCain, or even supposedly "centrist" ones like Collins behaved during the Obama administration. As far as at least 90% of actual policy is concerned, McCain/Collins-type Republicans and Trump/DeSantis-type Republicans are the two sides of the same coin.

Now, speaking of OSR specifically, granted, there are some actual differences between some his positions and positions of Trump-style Republicans, but policy-wise a sane Democrat should still vote for L. D. Smith, whom I wouldn't necessarily describe as "conservative". I myself I'm to his left for sure, would probably prefer a more left-wing candidate in primary, but in the GE I'd vote for him with full enthusiasm. The idea of voting for a Republican "to encourage less extreme elements within the party" over a perfectly reasonable Democrat doesn't make sense from policy standpoint. If one votes this way, then we take policies away and focus on pure personality.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 04:49:14 AM »

I like social conservatism, so L.D. Smith, but both are great
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61