FT 15.15 – Local Electoral Calendar Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:11:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 15.15 – Local Electoral Calendar Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: FT 15.15 – Local Electoral Calendar Act (Debating)  (Read 744 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2020, 12:39:40 PM »

AN ACT
to bring state and local elections in line with parliamentary terms

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "Local Electoral Calendar Act."

Section 2 (Electoral calendar for state and local elections)
i. The terms of the state (or territorial) and municipal governments now sitting shall end on 29 June 2020, and the terms of their successors then begin.
ii. Hereafter, all officers of the states (or territories) and municipalities of Frémont shall serve terms of three months commencing on the first Monday following their election.
iii. All regular state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be on the ultimate Saturday of the month in which they are given to proceed.
(a) Elections for the state (or territorial) and municipal governments to assume office on 29 June 2020, in accordance with the provisions of §2(i) of this Act, shall proceed on 27 June 2020.
(b) Thereafter, regular elections for state (or territorial) and municipal office shall proceed in March, June, September, and December.
iv. The filing deadline for all state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be thirty days before the election.

Section 3 (Amendment to the Universal Suffrage Act)
i. §4(ii) of the Universal Suffrage Act is amended to read as follows:
No sooner than thirty days before the election, and no later than fifteen days before, the ministry of elections will send to every non-apparent citizen an envelope prominently labeled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS."
Sponsor: Harry S Truman, FM

The first minister has the floor.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 12:45:06 PM »

As the speaker has indicated elsewhere she is otherwise occupied at the moment (an understandable plight in these unusual and challenging times), I have taken the liberty of bringing this article to the floor in my capacity as president of parliament. This legislation would amend the Universal Suffrage Act passed earlier this year to bring our state and municipal elections in line with the Holy See. This involves shortening the term of state and municipal offices from three years to three months (since this bill was written, the pontifex maximus has indicated that he will report these elections biannually, so this may suggest the advisability of an amendment) and altering the timeframe for the distribution of mail ballots accordingly.

I eagerly anticipate your thoughts and suggestions for improvement.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 01:01:35 PM »

This seems like a commonsense act, and I will obviously support it when it comes to a vote. However, a 2-day lame duck period seems a bit short, and I'd like to see more guidelines on what dates in a month elections would take place (e.g. the election will take place on the 27th of each month, etc. etc.), as while the date officeholders take office is clear when the election occurs isn't.

These might be moot points though, thanks quarantine brain.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 09:26:45 PM »

This seems like a commonsense act, and I will obviously support it when it comes to a vote. However, a 2-day lame duck period seems a bit short, and I'd like to see more guidelines on what dates in a month elections would take place (e.g. the election will take place on the 27th of each month, etc. etc.), as while the date officeholders take office is clear when the election occurs isn't.

The lame duck period is short, but so are the terms. Two days is the same amount of time between a regional election and the seating of a new parliament. The original purpose of the lame duck term was to allow newly-elected legislators to travel from their homes to the capitol, a process that no longer takes several weeks to achieve; so providing for an extended lame duck period only creates an unnecessary buffer between the delivery of a new mandate and the point at which it is recognized in the composition of state and municipal governments. With regard to election days, my thought was that having the election always be on a Saturday would increase voter participation, especially as we make the transition to VBM (so that people won't have to calculate for the lack of Sunday mail delivery when posting their ballots).
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 09:48:34 PM »

The lame duck period is short, but so are the terms. Two days is the same amount of time between a regional election and the seating of a new parliament. The original purpose of the lame duck term was to allow newly-elected legislators to travel from their homes to the capitol, a process that no longer takes several weeks to achieve; so providing for an extended lame duck period only creates an unnecessary buffer between the delivery of a new mandate and the point at which it is recognized in the composition of state and municipal governments. With regard to election days, my thought was that having the election always be on a Saturday would increase voter participation, especially as we make the transition to VBM (so that people won't have to calculate for the lack of Sunday mail delivery when posting their ballots).
Alright, that sounds fine then.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 12:44:19 PM »

Proposing an amendment:

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

i. The terms of the state (or territorial) and municipal governments now sitting shall end on 29 June 2020, and the terms of their successors then begin.
ii. Hereafter, all officers of the states (or territories) and municipalities of Frémont shall serve terms of six months commencing on the first Monday following their election.
iii. All regular state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be on the ultimate Saturday of the month in which they are given to proceed.
(a) Elections for the state (or territorial) and municipal governments to assume office on 29 June 2020, in accordance with the provisions of §2(i) of this Act, shall proceed on 27 June 2020.
(b) Thereafter, regular elections for state (or territorial) and municipal office shall proceed in March, June, September, and December.
iv. The filing deadline for all state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be thirty days before the election.

No sooner than thirty days before the election, and no later than fifteen days before, the ministry of elections will send to every non-apparent citizen an envelope prominently labeled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 08:43:34 PM »

Naturally the region is free to pursue its own mechanism, but personally I'd much prefer if the bill didn't set a firm election cycle for all states twice a year. This because the ideal - from the point of view of the NPC election mechanism - would be to have a few states voting every month, which wouldn't be possible here.

I wonder if there would be support to allow states - directly or by omission - to essentially choose their own months for elections, which would allow for the rotation mechanism to work and ensure there's NPC elections for different parts of Fremont at the end of every month.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 07:33:37 PM »

Bumping this after a week, any thoughts?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 08:17:53 PM »

Oh crap, forgot about this. 24 hours to object to Truman's amendment.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 08:45:56 PM »

Actually I'm going to object to the Truman amendment and propose my own:

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

ii. Hereafter, all officers of the states (or territories) and municipalities of Frémont shall serve terms of six months commencing on the first Monday following their election.
(a) Special elections for the state (or territorial) and municipal governments to assume office on 29 June 2020, in accordance with the provisions of §2(i) of this Act, shall proceed on 27 June 2020.
(b) Thereafter, regular elections for state (or territorial) and municipal office shall proceed in March,June, September, and December. once every six months, with individual states determining the months their elections take place in.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 08:56:48 AM »

No real point in the 29 June date if states are setting their own calendars, is there?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 11:30:26 AM »

No real point in the 29 June date if states are setting their own calendars, is there?
Yeah, not really, unless we want to have one big special election in late June before resetting to the new system (which should be up to Lumine now with the new amendment).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 01:31:00 PM »

Yeah, not really, unless we want to have one big special election in late June before resetting to the new system (which should be up to Lumine now with the new amendment).

Strictly speaking, if Fremont were to wish for a big special election in June followed by the rotation system after that I can simulate such a thing, though the scope would probably prove counterproductive in terms of players having to campaign in too many states.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 01:50:25 PM »

Strictly speaking, if Fremont were to wish for a big special election in June followed by the rotation system after that I can simulate such a thing, though the scope would probably prove counterproductive in terms of players having to campaign in too many states.
I mean, it would be a nice dose of activity for Fremont, and, as we don't know who serves in what position yet, it would probably be the fairest way to determine 'current' officeholders.

Truman, thoughts?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 11:06:55 PM »

I mean, it would be a nice dose of activity for Fremont, and, as we don't know who serves in what position yet, it would probably be the fairest way to determine 'current' officeholders.

Truman, thoughts?
Honestly, I'm not a fan of staggering the elections, period —but if we're going to, I don't think it makes sense to randomly throw everyone out of office only to have to reset again in a few months.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 11:39:20 PM »

Truman, thoughts?
Honestly, I'm not a fan of staggering the elections, period —but if we're going to, I don't think it makes sense to randomly throw everyone out of office only to have to reset again in a few months.
Wdym reset again? I don't think it would reset again after a few months...
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 12:13:47 AM »

Truman, thoughts?
Some of these seats would be up again in July, yes? So if we do a special election at the end of June, we're essentially creating a one-month term.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 11:06:19 AM »

Truman, thoughts?
Some of these seats would be up again in July, yes? So if we do a special election at the end of June, we're essentially creating a one-month term.
Well, yes, but there's also the benefit of creating a truly fair incumbent determination method, as as of yet we don't know who the incumbent Governors are. Though I suppose this can be done on the staggered system by tacitly implying that there are no incumbents.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 05:27:41 PM »

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

(a) Special elections for the state (or territorial) and municipal governments to assume office on 29 June 2020, in accordance with the provisions of §2(i) of this Act, shall proceed on 27 June 2020.
(b) Thereafter, regular elections for state (or territorial) and municipal office shall proceed in March,June, September, and December. once every six months, with individual states determining the months their elections take place in.

The following amendment has passed.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 05:56:31 PM »

Proposing an amendment:

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

The terms of the state (or territorial) and municipal governments now sitting shall end on 29 June 2020, and the terms of their successors then begin.
i. Hereafter, all officers of the states (or territories) and municipalities of Frémont shall serve terms of six months commencing on the first Monday following their election.
ii. All regular state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be on the ultimate Saturday of the month in which they are given by the laws of those states (or territories) to proceed.
(b) Thereafter, regular elections for state (or territorial) and municipal office shall proceed once every six months, with individual states determining the months their elections take place in.

iii. The filing deadline for all state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be thirty days before the election.

OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 06:07:44 PM »

24 hours to object.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 09:35:51 PM »

The amendment passes.

Now, shall we vote? Or are there outstanding concerns?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 11:33:57 PM »

The amendment passes.

Now, shall we vote? Or are there outstanding concerns?
Okay by me.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2020, 11:48:38 PM »

Assuming that's a seconding. Vote opened.

48 hours, folks.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2020, 11:58:57 PM »

Aye.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies