This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:27:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 ... 152
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 156447 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3200 on: August 28, 2023, 05:45:42 AM »

The ULEZ is an issue in my area of Havering - and next door Thurrock is refusing to put up the signs.

Havering Council - a Labour/Residents coalition since 2022 - is against introducing it now, but declined to get involved in the legal challenge.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3201 on: August 29, 2023, 10:37:17 AM »

Not putting up the signs is an especially pointless gesture - it hasn't stopped ULEZ happening and the councils in question aren't within its remit either.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3202 on: September 01, 2023, 08:04:08 AM »

Reshuffle next week apparently.

Should I try and guess or do where I think people should go…
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #3203 on: September 02, 2023, 12:31:23 AM »

Man.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3204 on: September 02, 2023, 07:09:50 AM »

Ah, two nations divided by the same language.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3205 on: September 02, 2023, 09:35:04 AM »

The number of Corbynites gleefully quoting a 90-year old GOP Senator as gospel is quite something.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3206 on: September 02, 2023, 09:48:38 AM »

Now there is actually an interesting THIGMOO story today: it has been briefed that the leadership is considering a clear-out of deadwood scandal-prone MPs for the next election, on the basis that they are an unnecessary risk. Names mentioned include Khalid Mahmood, Liam Byrne and Neil Coyle. I presume that the purpose of leaking the idea is to try to scare some of them to announce their retirements independently as that would not be so messy.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3207 on: September 02, 2023, 09:55:56 AM »

This would certainly be encouraging in indicating that factionalism does not, after all, override all else.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3208 on: September 02, 2023, 10:09:56 AM »

This would certainly be encouraging in indicating that factionalism does not, after all, override all else.

The names in question - even to see them briefed - suggest that verily Lord Watson of Wyre Forest aka 'Tommo' is a spent force, though we already knew that.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3209 on: September 02, 2023, 02:45:34 PM »

Now there is actually an interesting THIGMOO story today: it has been briefed that the leadership is considering a clear-out of deadwood scandal-prone MPs for the next election, on the basis that they are an unnecessary risk. Names mentioned include Khalid Mahmood, Liam Byrne and Neil Coyle. I presume that the purpose of leaking the idea is to try to scare some of them to announce their retirements independently as that would not be so messy.

Yes the weird thing with the endless rows about selections is that iirc the NEC or one of its sub committees can basically say ‘no we do not endorse you’ regardless of what the local party said- this was iirc was done to Godstiff although he hadn’t passed a full selection.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3210 on: September 03, 2023, 07:14:32 AM »

The names in question - even to see them briefed - suggest that verily Lord Watson of Wyre Forest aka 'Tommo' is a spent force, though we already knew that.

My dislike of him from the outset is one of my viewpoints that has been fully vindicated.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3211 on: September 03, 2023, 09:21:10 AM »

My dislike of him from the outset is one of my viewpoints that has been fully vindicated.

I assume you did not support him in the 2015 deputy leadership election, then?

In hindsight, not a great lineup. Flint and Eagle seem almost as bad as him.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3212 on: September 03, 2023, 11:04:22 AM »

Eagle was of course the choice of the left as they failed to get a true believer on the ballot.

I voted for Tom as I was a good member of the old right!
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #3213 on: September 03, 2023, 11:10:57 AM »

Why restore the whip to Coyle only to expel him later? Why not suspend Byrne at the time he was suspended from parliament? Ditto for Mahmood. I’d happily see the back of all three, but I’m not sure I buy this story just yet.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3214 on: September 03, 2023, 02:15:20 PM »

Why restore the whip to Coyle only to expel him later? Why not suspend Byrne at the time he was suspended from parliament? Ditto for Mahmood. I’d happily see the back of all three, but I’m not sure I buy this story just yet.

Well, there is a difference between active disciplinary measures and telling people that they won't be allowed to run again. But it's always hard to tell quite how real this sort of thing is: that it has been briefed without significant pushback is telling, though.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #3215 on: September 03, 2023, 02:40:35 PM »

Well, there is a difference between active disciplinary measures and telling people that they won't be allowed to run again. But it's always hard to tell quite how real this sort of thing is: that it has been briefed without significant pushback is telling, though.

My point, is it’s a bizarre decision to take now when at least two of them have been reselected - not sure if Coyle’s was delayed - and there was an opportunity to get rid of Byrne & Mahmood earlier that wasn’t taken.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3216 on: September 03, 2023, 02:47:33 PM »

My point, is it’s a bizarre decision to take now when at least two of them have been reselected - not sure if Coyle’s was delayed - and there was an opportunity to get rid of Byrne & Mahmood earlier that wasn’t taken.

Ah, but it's the Labour Party.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3217 on: September 03, 2023, 05:39:27 PM »

Is he trying to make an election promise not to raise taxes at all or is he trying to dodge the question so he can pull a Biden and say he's only raising taxes on the rich?
Keir Starmer vows not to increase income tax for workers in major election promise
In an interview with the Mirror, the Labour leader pledged not to hike levies - including income tax.

Making the landmark promise, he said: “We will do nothing to increase the burden on working people, whether it comes to tax or anything else. They have paid a heavy price for the incompetence of the government after the last 13 years.”
Shadow Chancellor Rachel Reeves last weekend promised she would not increase the top rate of income tax. Asked if he could make the same promise for those on the basic rate, Mr Starmer said: “We're not increasing tax across the board.” Pushed on whether he would put up income tax, he said: “No.”

It looks like he is making life hard for himself in government. Can he really raise the top rate of income tax without breaking his promise-or is that frozen now until 2029? Also, I'm not fully across Britain's tax system, but wouldn't some indirect taxes-aka levies-increase automatically? Even a promise to not increase the tax burden at all on 'working people' will be difficult to keep.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3218 on: September 03, 2023, 05:54:27 PM »

He's saying that he won't put up the basic rate of income tax, essentially. Which he was never going to anyway, but this way he gets a nice big headline about how he's looking out for workers.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #3219 on: September 03, 2023, 06:04:23 PM »

It looks like he is making life hard for himself in government. Can he really raise the top rate of income tax without breaking his promise-or is that frozen now until 2029? Also, I'm not fully across Britain's tax system, but wouldn't some indirect taxes-aka levies-increase automatically? Even a promise to not increase the tax burden at all on 'working people' will be difficult to keep.
Given wages will rise in absolute terms, Labour could de facto increase taxes just by keeping the current bands and letting more people’s income drift into higher tax bands. The top rate of income tax pledge is obviously very cautious given it’s been Labour policy since Miliband, but it’s not a massive revenue raiser. If you wanted to raise a lot of money progressively through income tax, you’d have to go down the Corbyn route of increasing taxes on the upper middle class which risks alienating ‘aspirational’ voters. I can’t see Labour raising corporation tax or anything else that would be seen as ‘anti-business’. That leaves a rather limited number of smaller taxes that can be raised like tobacco duty or something.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3220 on: September 03, 2023, 06:07:42 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2023, 06:10:56 PM by Filuwaúrdjan »

If you wanted to raise a lot of money progressively through income tax, you’d have to go down the Corbyn route of increasing taxes on the upper middle class which risks alienating ‘aspirational’ voters.

You would also have to do it by more than proposed in the 2019 manifesto, which was more of a genuflection in that direction than anything else. Tempting to point to all of this as an example of how different the politics of income tax is now, and, yes, that's true, but the change happened a while ago: even the 1983 manifesto is oddly coy on the topic.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3221 on: September 04, 2023, 06:57:23 AM »

So, what has Nandy done to upset Starmer so much?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3222 on: September 04, 2023, 07:14:54 AM »

So, what has Nandy done to upset Starmer so much?

I don't think a great deal, but someone more important than her wanted her portfolio and that was that. She did well in policy terms there, but a Shadow post in which the balance between policy work and media opportunities is very heavily tilted in favour of the former will usually be a low profile one even if it's for an important area unless the portfolio holder is high profile for other reasons. This does seem to have been held against her by some people giving the briefings over the past year or so, which isn't particularly fair, but is how these things tend to go.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3223 on: September 04, 2023, 09:43:46 AM »

She seems to have accepted her new post willingly enough, which is something.

Maybe the only blot on this is RAK walking out (hard to believe it will be for that long)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3224 on: September 04, 2023, 10:02:23 AM »

She seems to have accepted her new post willingly enough, which is something.

Maybe the only blot on this is RAK walking out (hard to believe it will be for that long)

Might she pay her proximity with Khan?
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 ... 152  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies