This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 05:55:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 ... 152
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 155194 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2700 on: December 04, 2022, 11:13:16 AM »

Crick really is a curate's egg, true enough.

His book on Militant in the 1980s was, and remains, a genuinely impressive work that stands up well.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2701 on: December 04, 2022, 12:58:01 PM »

Abtisam Mohamed, councillor for Firth Park on Sheffield City Council, has been selected as Labour candidate for Sheffield Central, beating Eddie Izzard among others.  From what I've heard she's quite impressive.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2702 on: December 05, 2022, 09:11:25 AM »

Years ago I described Neal Lawson as the soft left answer to Dan Hodges.

Things haven't altered much since.

He really needs to just piss off and join the Lib Dems. He'd be a lot happier there and we'd be a lot happier with him there too.

Abtisam Mohamed, councillor for Firth Park on Sheffield City Council, has been selected as Labour candidate for Sheffield Central, beating Eddie Izzard among others.  From what I've heard she's quite impressive.

The surprising thing to me about that result was that Izzard actually came 2nd (on the first round, anyway), which is better than I thought she'd do. Pick a more suitable constituency and she might have a decent shot at winning selection.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2703 on: December 05, 2022, 04:16:22 PM »

The surprising thing to me about that result was that Izzard actually came 2nd (on the first round, anyway), which is better than I thought she'd do. Pick a more suitable constituency and she might have a decent shot at winning selection.

What do you think might be a more suitable constituency?
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2704 on: December 06, 2022, 04:09:56 AM »

Somewhere that hasn't had a large number of local office-holders sniffing round it for at least 5 years and which doesn't reckon it has a chance to elect a leading member of the Cabinet in 10-20 years time.

The shortlists in some marginals that will fall on quite small swings have been fairly uninspiring (and not just because of factional sorting) so picking one or two in that category and working them hard might be productive.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2705 on: December 06, 2022, 09:51:06 AM »

Somewhere that hasn't had a large number of local office-holders sniffing round it for at least 5 years and which doesn't reckon it has a chance to elect a leading member of the Cabinet in 10-20 years time.

The shortlists in some marginals that will fall on quite small swings have been fairly uninspiring (and not just because of factional sorting) so picking one or two in that category and working them hard might be productive.

Not thinking of somewhere local to your good self, are you? Perish the thought Tongue

(still at least looks like they will be only one of a handful of washed-up Progress dinosaurs elected to the next Parliament even if Labour wins a big majority - there are shortcomings in the general class of people winning selection in this parliament, but that isn't one of them)
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2706 on: December 06, 2022, 10:05:10 AM »

I have no particular animus about the candidate in question (not yet, anyway, but ask me again in a couple of months...) Nevertheless, that did seem like a quieter contest than it might have been and there have been a few others like it. And most of those do not seem to have been due to people being kept off longlists, but rather factional candidates hovering round a smaller group of seats (not all of them notably safe) and ignoring perfectly winnable contests elsewhere.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2707 on: December 06, 2022, 06:17:33 PM »

Yeah I’ve noticed there isn’t anyone new running in a seats lost in 2010 who has immediately set off my radar; I wonder if it’s a hangover from 2015 when a lot of people ran in ‘target’ seats that ended up not even being close.

There will ofc be some last minute retirements I suspect- that tends to be the old way of really stitching up seats for favourite sons and daughters.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2708 on: December 07, 2022, 10:40:07 AM »

The selection for Gloucester yesterday was another example of the "obvious" front runner not winning - there have been a few of these now.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2709 on: December 08, 2022, 09:40:46 AM »

Two internal reports commissioned by Unite's new leadership have confirmed the existence of massive corruption under the previous management and have been passed to the police.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2710 on: December 09, 2022, 09:52:34 AM »

Two internal reports commissioned by Unite's new leadership have confirmed the existence of massive corruption under the previous management and have been passed to the police.

But still H*w*r* B*c*e*t grandstands on Twitter.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2711 on: December 09, 2022, 10:16:08 AM »

I’ve still got my hoodie from the 2019 election that has “promoted by Howard Beckett” on it - I’m wondering if it’ll become evidence.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2712 on: December 11, 2022, 07:03:24 AM »

I see the Wes for Leader campaign has had another awful morning.

Should have been Bridget as Health- but she’s been very good at Education and is finally getting attention from the lobby.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2713 on: December 11, 2022, 07:07:23 AM »

Despite my username the one thing I hated most about New Labour was the weird obsession with thinking that voters cared about you banging on about ‘reforming the public sector dinosaurs’ or whatever this morning was about.

They even seem to forget that New Labours reform agenda came after billions of spending… there are a number of changes that need to happen imho (I assume GPs and social care coming further into the fold will eventually happen ) but I really hate the aggressive framing of it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2714 on: December 11, 2022, 07:50:07 AM »

Most of what he says on the subject is fine and would be supported by most people in the health service - if more is done in the community then you have less pressures down the line in hospitals etc - but he does have a habit of being unnecessarily aggressive in terms of rhetoric, which is not always... helpful, and does undermine this idea of him as a Great Communicator. Though having poor relations with the BMA isn't really a New Labour thing, so much as a Labour thing, full stop.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2715 on: December 11, 2022, 07:54:50 AM »

Should have been Bridget as Health- but she’s been very good at Education and is finally getting attention from the lobby.

The one drawback of having people who really are very good is that they can only hold one major post at any one time...
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2716 on: December 13, 2022, 09:20:10 AM »

Something very THIGMOO about Tarry attacking Streeting over the NHS.

I stand by my comments above but still it is just quite funny when the wider context and backstory is omitted.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2717 on: December 14, 2022, 09:52:13 AM »

Stuff like this is a major reason why I don't think Streeting will ever be Labour leader.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2718 on: December 14, 2022, 10:01:41 AM »

Stuff like this is a major reason why I don't think Streeting will ever be Labour leader.

He's a bit too much of A Young Man In A Hurry and is also a little bit... er... feet first when it comes to communications sometimes: the latter reflects the truth that though he has a Student Politics background, he's fundamentally an East London Labour figure with all that that implies (and always has...) in terms of style.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2719 on: December 14, 2022, 01:23:02 PM »

Very interesting how many Slab figures are now coming out to run in Scotland. A few ex Cllrs, MSPs and even the odd MP.

I’m sure they’ll all be able to tell the panel what community and party campaigning work they have done…
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2720 on: December 20, 2022, 10:41:19 AM »

Oh dear, looks like the bloke we selected in Bolsover wasn't *totally* open and honest about things.

(though they somehow managed to stand for nearby Sherwood in 2019 without this coming to light)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2721 on: December 21, 2022, 12:30:44 PM »

Interesting Guardian piece on Labour frontbench dynamics- some chafing at the return of Douglas Alexander and rumours around Ed Balls and David M. Basically just a ‘well they weren’t here for the hard part why should they get a cushy job’.

Also some complaints re those who have big jobs (Dodds again) and asking why some don’t (C***sy- no doubt because of her helpful interventions on Brexit)

Interesting there was a line re Nandy not seeming to enjoy her role- I thought she was and just needs to be given a big housing offer. You can see one being made in health and education… and the state of housing is going to be one of the biggest challenges for a Labour government. It’s not just the awful private rented sector either anymore…
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2722 on: December 21, 2022, 03:25:52 PM »

Though most of the quotes in those articles are usually from Pat McFadden. I'm not convinced they all are this time (some seem somewhat rational) but they should never be taken as an accurate summary of ShadCab opinion.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2723 on: December 21, 2022, 03:39:28 PM »

Though most of the quotes in those articles are usually from Pat McFadden. I'm not convinced they all are this time (some seem somewhat rational) but they should never be taken as an accurate summary of ShadCab opinion.

Ed Miliband got praised which is rare in Labour briefing.

I don’t want Douglas to return purely because it adds another layer to the ‘people fighting because they haven’t forgiven someone over what they did in the Brown Government’.

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2724 on: December 21, 2022, 05:39:42 PM »

Interesting Guardian piece on Labour frontbench dynamics- some chafing at the return of Douglas Alexander and rumours around Ed Balls and David M. Basically just a ‘well they weren’t here for the hard part why should they get a cushy job’.

To be fair to Balls the reason he wasn't "here for the hard part" was the voters of Morley & Outwood.  Boundary changes there are quite favourable as it happens...
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 ... 152  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies