This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:01:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 151
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 151530 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2425 on: July 29, 2022, 06:49:05 AM »

He was indeed.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2426 on: July 29, 2022, 06:49:33 AM »

Wasn't Tarry a councillor there for a time or am I misremembering?

He was, most famous for living in Brighton whilst doing so.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2427 on: July 29, 2022, 06:54:51 AM »

Hopefully she loses to the Tories.

I really wouldn't suggest such a thing even in jest.

(and to avoid any doubt, I would be delighted to see her exit politics)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2428 on: July 29, 2022, 07:57:42 AM »

Cruddas did announce his retirement at a v late stage.

Tarry is lucky the council leader is going for Barking- Rodwell is very popular.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2429 on: July 29, 2022, 08:20:29 AM »

Tarry is lucky the council leader is going for Barking- Rodwell is very popular.

Barking is a bunfight, Ibrahim Dogus (big donor, West Brom candidate in 2019) is also going for it - and I’ve heard of at least two ex-MP’s sniffing around. He may decide Dagenham is an easier selection to win even if the general election is harder (though I’d agree it’s unlikely).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2430 on: July 29, 2022, 08:53:42 AM »

Barking is a bunfight, Ibrahim Dogus (big donor, West Brom candidate in 2019) is also going for it - and I’ve heard of at least two ex-MP’s sniffing around. He may decide Dagenham is an easier selection to win even if the general election is harder (though I’d agree it’s unlikely).

The main problem for the council leader in Dagenham is Cruddas himself, who made it very clear he heavily dislikes him (and also those members who are in Havering wards).
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2431 on: July 29, 2022, 09:54:14 AM »

Hopefully she loses to the Tories.

I think the chances of whoever the Tories select in Canterbury being noticeably better than Duffield on trans issues are pretty minuscule, though at least they're higher than the chances of them being better than Duffield on other matters.

NB that's a seat where the boundary changes could make it harder for Labour to win.  The initial proposals don't make much difference, but IIRC there were alternatives put forward which would.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2432 on: July 29, 2022, 10:34:57 AM »

The main problem for the council leader in Dagenham is Cruddas himself, who made it very clear he heavily dislikes him (and also those members who are in Havering wards).

It’s a good point, but I have to wonder how much the average member (even in his constituency) cares what Jon Cruddas thinks? I’ve always found him insufferable and out of touch.
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat
Poland

« Reply #2433 on: July 29, 2022, 10:47:04 AM »

Reminder that Dogus lost WBE in 2019 because the news broke that he'd been investigated for money laundering...
Heat
Poland

« Reply #2434 on: July 29, 2022, 10:48:09 AM »

It’s a good point, but I have to wonder how much the average member (even in his constituency) cares what Jon Cruddas thinks? I’ve always found him insufferable and out of touch.
My understanding is that he's always been very popular with his CLP.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2435 on: July 29, 2022, 11:07:30 AM »

Even for THIGMOO standards this is hilarious and messy. Worth reading in full!

https://labourlist.org/2022/05/exclusive-labour-on-target-to-lose-dagenham-and-rainham-cruddas-warns/
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2436 on: July 29, 2022, 11:12:47 AM »

My limited experience is he’s a marmite type- very smart and talented, but equally has that tendency of some in THIGMOO to look arrogant because of his own intelligence.

The fact he won the first round in 2007 speaks a lot to his skill and we don’t really tend to get people of his type in the party anymore.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2437 on: July 29, 2022, 12:43:43 PM »

Trans issues have become as much of a dividing line as the EU/anti-semitism were 16-19, perhaps more so as those issues have become less prominent. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were GC corbynites who backed Duffield, or indeed people to the right of her (since Duffield isn’t seen as on the right by the right) for the same reason. Whilst there will be plenty in the 65 who voted to trigger her who also backed Keir.

Am I wrong to assume that it's a generational divide? I find it awfully hard to imagine "gender-critical" activism having appeal to any significant number of Labour activists my age.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2438 on: July 29, 2022, 01:05:00 PM »

Trans issues have become as much of a dividing line as the EU/anti-semitism were 16-19, perhaps more so as those issues have become less prominent. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were GC corbynites who backed Duffield, or indeed people to the right of her (since Duffield isn’t seen as on the right by the right) for the same reason. Whilst there will be plenty in the 65 who voted to trigger her who also backed Keir.

Am I wrong to assume that it's a generational divide? I find it awfully hard to imagine "gender-critical" activism having appeal to any significant number of Labour activists my age.

You don’t tend to see many passionately pro-Trans people over the age of 30 for sure. Though in my experience support for Trans rights isn’t as monolithic as you might think amongst under 30s - it’s more that GC people under that age would keep quiet about it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2439 on: July 29, 2022, 01:46:26 PM »

The fact that it is complete nonsense psephologically (and that he will know that) is the real 'Italian Chef Kisses Fingers' detail. Old school; classic.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2440 on: July 29, 2022, 01:50:53 PM »

I was always confused why Cruddas's career flatlined after 2010 despite seemingly trying to be the voice of post NuLabourism during Brown's career - he had some kind of strategic advice job during the Miliband years and made no real intervention during the Corbyn years (pro or con). Did he just suddenly lose his ambitions or did he annoy people?
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2441 on: July 30, 2022, 11:10:33 AM »

Ian Byrne lost another trigger, seems likely he’ll face a full selection. It also seems UNITE’s new leadership don’t care about him because he’s seen as McCluskey’s man.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2442 on: July 30, 2022, 02:18:18 PM »

I was always confused why Cruddas's career flatlined after 2010 despite seemingly trying to be the voice of post NuLabourism during Brown's career - he had some kind of strategic advice job during the Miliband years and made no real intervention during the Corbyn years (pro or con). Did he just suddenly lose his ambitions or did he annoy people?

Iirc he didn’t even run for the Shadow Cabinet when he could have done quite well and got a decent job under Ed. Others who followed closely at the time might know more but he just seems to have lost interest- I can’t even recall anything big he’s done in Westminster.

instead he just did the weird policy job which is always historically a bit of a crap job. I always assume MPs trying to do this just get muscled out by party staff or various officials.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2443 on: July 31, 2022, 05:25:29 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2022, 05:31:56 AM by CumbrianLefty »

Even by normal "Labour thinker" standards he is incredibly pessimistic, though. I still recall his claim that the Big Society (remember that, folks?) could be "absolutely devastating" for Labour - something that seemed outlandish at the time and appears positively hilarious now.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2444 on: July 31, 2022, 09:01:54 AM »

Roy Hattersley has a guardian article attacking Keir over Brexit. It’s not a bad article but has he actually liked any Labour Leader since 1992?

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2445 on: July 31, 2022, 09:04:47 AM »

Roy Hattersley has a guardian article attacking Keir over Brexit. It’s not a bad article but has he actually liked any Labour Leader since 1992?

This assumes that he liked Kinnock, which is questionable.
Heat
Poland

« Reply #2446 on: July 31, 2022, 11:03:47 AM »

Even by normal "Labour thinker" standards he is incredibly pessimistic, though. I still recall his claim that the Big Society (remember that, folks?) could be "absolutely devastating" for Labour - something that seemed outlandish at the time and appears positively hilarious now.
Is he pessimistic or does he choose his words with what he wants other people to do in mind, though...
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2447 on: August 01, 2022, 06:48:59 AM »

Well the "official" line remains that Tarry wasn't actually sacked for joining a picket line, so motyw.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2448 on: August 01, 2022, 08:36:05 AM »

Btw that was in reply to a since deleted post re Lisa Nandy's visit to a picket line this morning.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2449 on: August 01, 2022, 10:45:17 AM »

That was my bad - realised after posting it that I was probably mischaracterising the Nandy picket photo. As per usual, too much handwringing on my part - so nuked it.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 151  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies