Which colonists/settlers were “WASPs” descended from?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:25:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Which colonists/settlers were “WASPs” descended from?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which colonists/settlers were “WASPs” descended from?  (Read 733 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2020, 11:23:26 PM »
« edited: May 06, 2020, 10:55:02 AM by darklordoftech »

I know “WASPs” were the elite of New England in the Gilded Age, and that the Cabot Lodges, the Rockefellers, and the Bushes were famous examples. They tended to be Episcopalian. Who did their ancestors arrive with, and what religious denomination did they tend to be at the time?

I’m pre-emptively banning “party switch” debates (edit: unless the “party switch” discussion is necessary to answer the question).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 12:58:19 AM »

I’m pre-emptively banning “party switch” debates.

Look don't wimp out on me like freepcrusher. The Historical Continuity thread got off topic midway through and naturally got back on track as it was literally the case that the deep dive into the off topic aspects (Civil War), ended up being right up the thread's original alley.

Just enjoy the detours and appreciate them for the learning experience that they are.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 01:01:15 AM »

Also because tying my hands, harms my ability to answer your underlying question.

What do you mean by WASPs? That is too broad a category. The descendants of the Cavaliers in VA were WASPs just as the the descendants of the Roundheads, which favored New England.

darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 10:59:29 AM »

Also because tying my hands, harms my ability to answer your underlying question.
I edited the question to say, “unless necessary”.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 11:02:32 AM »

What do you mean by WASPs? That is too broad a category. The descendants of the Cavaliers in VA were WASPs just as the the descendants of the Roundheads, which favored New England.
The New England business elite of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 06:38:14 AM »

This
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 11:38:31 PM »

Just New England, not New York or New Jersey?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 12:28:18 AM »

Just New England, not New York or New Jersey?
I guess New York. No clue about New Jersey.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 02:59:14 AM »

Southerners were directly related to Anglo Saxons, from Britans. They used slave ships to enslave many AA and Indians during colonial years. Celts were descended from King Arthur, who fought the Anglo Saxons from the incursions of Britan
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 09:52:21 AM »

If you're trying to pick which group in Fischer's Albion's Seed were WASPs, the simple answer is "all of them." Actually, the reason for Fischer's focus in that book on 4 groups of British colonists is due to their disproportionate impact on American culture, and WASP is basically a shorthand for the combined culture of these groups, but with an emphasis on the upper class.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 10:45:05 PM »

I know “WASPs” were the elite of New England in the Gilded Age, and that the Cabot Lodges, the Rockefellers, and the Bushes were famous examples. They tended to be Episcopalian. Who did their ancestors arrive with, and what religious denomination did they tend to be at the time?

I’m pre-emptively banning “party switch” debates (edit: unless the “party switch” discussion is necessary to answer the question).

In the 17th century, there were few Anglicans outside the South.  New England was mainly Congregationalists, but with Baptists and Quakers as well in Rhode Island. In the Middle Colonies, there were Presbyterians, Quakers and others.   The Anglican Church grew in the early-mid 18th century from immigration and missionary activity, suffered loss of adherents with American Independence, but then grew again as the Episcopal Church in the early-mid 19th century.  Cabot Lodges and Bushes seems have ancestors that came to New England both in the 17th c and 18th c.   Rockefellers were descended from Germans and Scotch-Irish who came to the Middle Colonies.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 09:46:15 AM »

Although it's not completely compliant with the name, I tend to think of today's WASPs as being descended from English, Scottish, Dutch, French, German, and Swedish settlers who came to the United States (and its predecessor colonies) in the 17th and 18th centuries (and maybe the early 19th century). Scotch-Irish are kinda borderline.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies