How do European immigrants vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:18:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How do European immigrants vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do European immigrants vote?  (Read 418 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2020, 04:34:28 PM »

There is almost certainly no hard data on this.  Guessing those born in Germany, Italy, Poland and the FSU vote Republican. 

British immigrants to the US seem to be more ''cosmopolitan elite'' types.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 05:10:52 PM »

Overwhelmingly Democratic, I would imagine.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 04:29:12 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2020, 05:51:36 AM by Lechasseur »

Most likely Democratic overall

But they're most likely a lot more Republican than you'd think, especially outside of NYC/Northeast (the main destination for most European expats)

The ones willing to move elsewhere in America often are the type of people who are entrepreneurial and/or really like something(s) about America compared to Europe

Obviously the vast majority of Western Europeans would vote Democratic in the US; the thing is though the ones that would actually be willing to live in the US I think would be disproportionately Republican
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 11:55:07 AM »

The vast majority are probably either refugees from the former Yugoslavia, who seem to be pretty D based on precinct results, and Jewish immigrants from the former USSR who seem to be rather Republican. Probably net D when you include the much smaller pool of other European immigrants as well as those who are still alive from earlier waves of immigration, who are probably heavily Dem.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 01:45:44 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2020, 02:07:43 PM by King of Kensington »

The Jewish immigration from the FSU was earlier.  There was the Soviet Jewish wave of the 1970s, and they represented a very high share of the initial post-1990 flow, but I doubt that a majority of those born in the FSU in the US now are Jewish.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 01:51:41 PM »

I imagine those European immigrants that have been in the US for a long time vote like older American-born members of their ethnic communities.  Most people born in Italy or Greece for instance are aged immigrants who have been in the US for more than four decades, they're probably not that different from the broader Italian American or Greek American communities in their voting, which they are very much a part of.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 03:06:13 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2020, 04:48:56 PM by Clarko95 »

Coming from NW Indiana, most of the European immigrants I knew tended to be eastern/southeastern European (Poles, Serbs, Croats, Lithuanians, Bosnians, Macedonians, and Greeks) and the older ones generally lacked citizenship so didn't vote.

Most tended to vote Democratic, but in 2016 there was a strong anti-Hillary vote amongst many of the Serbs and Greeks for some reason. I can guess why on the Serbs but the Greeks I have no idea.

Otherwise most of them seemed to act like ethnic Democrats who held a mix of views but didn't really jive with the Republican Party for various reasons. The Bosnians and Poles seemed pretty steadfast in their support for Democrats. The Bosnians are obvious but I am surprised with some of the Poles, some of whom I would have guessed would have responded positively to Trump's racialized rhetoric.

But again, this is entirely anecdotal with a little speculation thrown in.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies