Seattle sells old firestation as "unique residential dwelling”....you know where this is going
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:23:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Seattle sells old firestation as "unique residential dwelling”....you know where this is going
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Seattle sells old firestation as "unique residential dwelling”....you know where this is going  (Read 208 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2020, 12:55:13 PM »

link-local
The Seattle man then spent thousands of dollars on interior remodeling, and for more than three years, his extended family and friends used the firehouse for holidays, celebrations, charity fundraisers, graduation parties and as an office until a Land Use Notice of Violation arrived in July of 2016.

According to the City of Seattle's violation letter, a "complaint about this property" had been received. A Housing and Zoning Inspector "investigated" and found "violations of the Seattle Land Use Code."

Kroon was ordered to "discontinue all unauthorized uses including but not limited to office and residence" because "the legally established use of the property is as a public facility (fire station.)"

“I thought it was sort of a joke when they said it’s still a fire station,” Kroon recently told KIRO 7. “I said, ‘Should I buy a truck?’ I mean seriously, this is just crazy! You sell a residential property and then you tell me it’s still a fire station?”

According to a civil lawsuit Kroon recently filed in King County Superior Court, the 2016 letter was "the first time the City had notified... the Kroon family that Fire Station 38 was not - as the City had represented - a residential dwelling."

Kroon was also sued by Seattle for alleged violations of city Municipal Code, for "using Fire Station 38 as something other than a fire station." According to Kroon, the City’s lawsuit against him was accruing penalties of $500 a day, for a total of “someplace around $400,000 in arrears,” he said.
ahhh govts, they can do whatever the hell they want, no matter how stupid, and have the cops to enforce it and the only way you can get right, is to pay for a lawyer, the only professional group worse than politicians to protect you and even then, you might not win.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 02:57:11 PM »

If the city really did sell it to him marketed as a "residential dwelling" he should be able to claim detrimental reliance. While it wouldn't guarantee a contract rescission (although I'd certainly demand it) I cant imagine any judge upholding the per day penalties. Most judges I've dealt with treat excessive per day penalties as government overreach. I technically could invoke per day (measured as every 10 days here) penalties on most of the building code cases I take to court but we never try ... its hard enough just getting a judgment out of the judge. Plus after the Sackett case (SCOTUS) last decade, excessive per day penalties have been determined to violate due process clause. F'd up situation though.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 04:53:52 PM »

If the city really did sell it to him marketed as a "residential dwelling" he should be able to claim detrimental reliance. While it wouldn't guarantee a contract rescission (although I'd certainly demand it) I cant imagine any judge upholding the per day penalties. Most judges I've dealt with treat excessive per day penalties as government overreach. I technically could invoke per day (measured as every 10 days here) penalties on most of the building code cases I take to court but we never try ... its hard enough just getting a judgment out of the judge. Plus after the Sackett case (SCOTUS) last decade, excessive per day penalties have been determined to violate due process clause. F'd up situation though.
he did end up not having to pay anything, and they did the paper work to make it a residence for him.  He's currently suing to have them pay for his lawyer fees...$60k ish if my memory serves.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 05:27:13 PM »

Government incompetance. Sigh.

Those fire poles are probably great for Festivus celebrations.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 10:01:42 PM »

Government incompetance. Sigh.

Those fire poles are probably great for Festivus celebrations.

Only if made of aluminum. They're probably brass or wood as those were the traditional materials used.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 02:19:43 AM »

I strenuously object to the use of a firehouse for any purpose other than ghostbusting.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies