GA- Cygnal (GOP Internal) Trump +1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 05:12:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  GA- Cygnal (GOP Internal) Trump +1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: GA- Cygnal (GOP Internal) Trump +1  (Read 3643 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2020, 04:46:22 PM »

Actualy a good poll for Trump, cygnal is a great pollster. And if Trump leads Biden now when his polling is terrible across the board, it just shows that Dems can't win here and should focus elsewhere.

Do you understand what a margin of error is?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2020, 05:56:55 PM »

Vindication for RFKfan! I'm still going to continue being bearish on this state though, but perhaps I will be surprised.
bilaps
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2020, 06:15:19 PM »

Actualy a good poll for Trump, cygnal is a great pollster. And if Trump leads Biden now when his polling is terrible across the board, it just shows that Dems can't win here and should focus elsewhere.

Please tell me. Does it mean Trump could be ahead by 6?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2020, 06:29:31 PM »

Please tell me. Does it mean Trump could be ahead by 6?

That is within the range of possible outcomes.  The poll results are Trump 45%, Biden 44%, with a margin of error of +/- 4%.  This applies to each candidate’s support, not to the margin between them.  So with good methodology (which we’ll assume to be the case, since Cygnal is a good pollster) then 95% of the time, this result would mean that the actual levels of support among the voter population are:

Trump: 41-49%
Biden: 40-48%

Which yields possible margins in the range of Trump+9 to Biden+7.  With such a large overlap of possible outcomes, it’s really overstating the case to say that "Trump is leading in Georgia" based on this poll.  It would be more realistic to say "it’s close".

Having said that, I do think Trump has a small advantage here and is more likely than not to win the state in November.  But the key word there is small; it’s certainly close enough that the state is in play, and a Biden win wouldn’t a huge shock.

Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2020, 07:19:09 PM »

LMFAO why would they release this? Trump +1 in a GOP internal looks horrible.

Probably the same reason Perdue was doomsaying about the election recently. To spook their supporters into donating/volunteering and to try to get ambivalent Trump-leaners back in the fold by telling them the Demoncrats are going to win.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2020, 08:10:04 PM »

Yeah, clearly less likely to flip than IA/OH.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2020, 08:36:37 PM »

Rather difficult to get excited about a poll where Biden has a lower % than Hillary's final result.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2020, 11:53:24 PM »

You don’t even need the 2018 results to tell that this is a competitive state. GA GOP's alarm bells should have started to ring at the very latest when Clinton came within five points of winning the state and did three percentage points better than Obama.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2020, 08:53:32 AM »

You don’t even need the 2018 results to tell that this is a competitive state. GA GOP's alarm bells should have started to ring at the very latest when Clinton came within five points of winning the state and did three percentage points better than Obama.

Trends are real... essentially. Normally we do not take a single trend map but 2016 was a different case for sure.

Though for 2020 I still believe that PA and MI are more likely to go Democratic than Georgia. Wisconsin or GA very close call.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2020, 11:40:48 AM »

Trends are real... essentially. Normally we do not take a single trend map but 2016 was a different case for sure.

Though for 2020 I still believe that PA and MI are more likely to go Democratic than Georgia. Wisconsin or GA very close call.

I think GA is in play, but further down the list.  IMO, this is the order of likelihood to flip.  Above the line are the states that I think would flip if the election was held today.

MI
PA
AZ
WI
FL
NC
----------
GA
OH
TX
IA
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2020, 11:41:55 AM »

Jesus H.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2020, 12:23:56 PM »

If I had to bet for Georgia going forward:

2020: Trump wins by 2 points, Perdue by 5, and Collins by 1

2022: Democrats win Governorship and Senate seat (Collins)

2024: Democrat wins Georgia in the presidential race
Pulaski

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2020, 04:23:22 AM »

Georgia has to be an absolute priority for Dems this year; two Senate races and a chance to demonstrate the effectiveness of a grassroots operation that can overcome Kemp's efforts to suppress votes. Heavy, heavy, heavy investment required.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2020, 04:08:35 PM »

Or for that matter, an internal poll?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies