Bill De Blasio tweets subtle anti-semitic message (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:24:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bill De Blasio tweets subtle anti-semitic message (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bill De Blasio tweets subtle anti-semitic message  (Read 5916 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: April 29, 2020, 09:49:22 AM »

I’m Jewish and I approve this message.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 09:50:42 AM »

As Mayor of a city with many complicated racial and religious relationships, and a huge Jewish community, de Blasio has shown massive and dangerous ignorance. I'm not asking him to recognize every Hasidic sect, but he should know the basic differences between Jews.
I know that the Hasidic, Haredi community has many sects disregarding the rules. I know that because about half of Israel's Coronavirus pandemic is them. But de Blasio here is addressing the entire Jewish community and, while I know he's not an anti-semite, he's definitely doing their job for them.

I’ll wager the very large nonobservant, Reform, Conservative, and even Modern Orthodox communities in New York know he’s not speaking to them.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 10:59:20 AM »

Not directly relevant, but I was shocked to see Noach Dear died of coronavirus some weeks ago.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 08:46:03 PM »

I don't believe DeBlasio hates Jews in general.  I believe he hates the Hasidic Jewish community. 

You don’t think the 2,500 people attending a funeral had something to do with his Tweet?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 06:02:10 AM »

The problem is he's playing on a well known and long-standing stereotype of the Jews being disease spreaders, one that goes back to the plague where they were treated as the scapegoat. There is no excuse short of playing to antisemitism for his remarks.

He's not "playing on it," he's unfortunately trying to manage a situation where Hasidic Jews, as a community, are repeatedly taking actions that trigger the stereotype without consideration for the negative consequences to people's health.

Truth is an absolutely defense against charges of slander or libel.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 06:49:18 AM »

I don't believe DeBlasio hates Jews in general.  I believe he hates the Hasidic Jewish community.

You don’t think the 2,500 people attending a funeral had something to do with his Tweet?

I'm sure it had something.  

I'm glad we're in agreement why DeBlasio felt he needed to communicate to the Jewish community of New York in particular in his tweet.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 01:39:20 PM »

Non-essential gatherings of all sizes are banned by Gov. Cuomo.

20+ scholars gathering indoors are an illegal gathering, even if they try to stay 6 feet apart from each other.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 01:42:37 PM »

I do that quoting thing too, but would you mind putting the new text in bold or italics or something so my name isn’t associated with that sentiment? Thanks
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 06:02:19 AM »

NYT reports that Hasidic Jews are flocking to donate plasma with antibodies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/nyregion/virus-orthodox-plasma-donation.html?referringSource=articleShare
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 09:32:13 AM »

Stop trying to make kvetch happen, Shua
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 09:57:10 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2020, 10:12:03 AM by Brittain33 »

BLM can protest all they want in the streets,

In this timeline, the NYPD has pushed back on protesters, sometimes with violence and tear gas, actually.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 04:07:26 PM »

I feel personally safe in America as a secular Jew, but Jewish institutions (synagogues, clergy homes) and Hasidic individuals are under regular threat of violence, arson, and property crimes. It's not as bad as in Europe where you need round-the-clock security at museums and synagogues, but it's bad in a way my own lived experience and yours, Horus, doesn't reflect.

And I grew up in a town where our public high school was chalked up with swastikas and KKK because we had a large Jewish minority and were surrounded by towns without one. And our temple was chalked up, and when I was in high school marching band we were told to go to the bathroom and concession stands in groups at away games because people from other towns would attack us.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies