COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:00:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266446 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1950 on: May 12, 2020, 10:42:43 AM »

There is a very simple way to deal with these people. Call the police on them and let them deal with it. And if they assault the employees in any sort of way they should be charged with terrorism.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1951 on: May 12, 2020, 10:49:23 AM »

Still doesn’t look like people’s opinions have changed much on opening up:

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1952 on: May 12, 2020, 11:12:58 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2020, 11:41:01 AM by Meclazine »

I was having a conversation with my girlfriend today about the role medical professionals have played during this pandemic.

I am of the opinion that they should write their advice down and have politicians include it in their policy decision making.

"Based on medical advice..."

"We will be guided by the medical experts..."

We have had medical professionals grand stand a little in Australia. The Australian chief medical officer is saying that we have to download his COVID-19 App otherwise he cant see the tracing data properly, and without that data, restrictions cannot be lifted.

The medical researchers in WA are asking for money for researching children. But we have zero cases.

Another leading doctor is parroting some other weird story and our chief scientist is talking about land rights for aboriginals.

It's just drivel.

Just because someone is a doctor or a scientist does not mean you should put a microphone in front of them.

The way the media works, this stuff needs to be written down and discussed in a succinct manner. Otherwise, as we saw with the UV and isopropyl alcohol discussion, it gets taken out of context.

I thought the balance that Donald had with Dr Fauci and Dr Birx was ideal. It was balanced.

I genuinely believe the media have been 75% of the problem in the US, on both sides.

We need a better system for getting a single message out to people during a pandemic in a non-political way.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1953 on: May 12, 2020, 11:21:00 AM »

The petulant narcissist just can't handle women asking him smart questions, ran away like a coward.

Why would an American president ask an American reporter to ask China, a place with nothing resembling a real free press, a question.

Besides the fact that it was stupid, sexist, bratty behavior by Trump that was likely racist, it was also an incredibly moronic thing to say.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1954 on: May 12, 2020, 11:24:34 AM »

We need a better system for getting a single message out to people during a pandemic in a non-political way.

Not having a president like Trump, who can't resist scoring political points, would help a lot with that as well. I don't remember either Obama or Christie grandstand when Hurricane Sandy was pounding the NYC area. Indeed, they worked together and helped out the people of that area and were rewarded for it. I hope Trump gets shellacked.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1955 on: May 12, 2020, 12:31:28 PM »

Fauci on the vaccine timeline:

https://twitter.com/robbysoave/status/1260252836245524483

Mitt Romney asks a very good question: Is vaccine in 1-2 years "a long shot," "more likely than not," or "very likely." Dr. Fauci says it is "clearly much more likely than not" that there will be a vaccine in that time frame.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1956 on: May 12, 2020, 03:37:24 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2020, 03:40:48 PM by Andy Beshear’s Campaign Manager »

New WaPo-Ipsos poll of large states shows that, with the exception of DeWine in Ohio (who of course has been taking this very seriously and fighting his own party on it), Democratic governors are much more popular than Republican governors in terms of approval of their COVID response.

Notably, Brian Kemp in Georgia (first to reopen) has the lowest approval rating, underwater at 39%. And “that woman” Gretchen Whitmer has a 72% approval rating. Looks like all those protesters were just a vocal minority. Shocker!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/many-governors-win-bipartisan-support-for-handling-of-pandemic-but-some-republicans-face-blowback-over-reopening-efforts/2020/05/11/8e98500e-93d2-11ea-9f5e-56d8239bf9ad_story.html
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1957 on: May 12, 2020, 03:54:54 PM »

New WaPo-Ipsos poll of large states shows that, with the exception of DeWine in Ohio (who of course has been taking this very seriously and fighting his own party on it), Democratic governors are much more popular than Republican governors in terms of approval of their COVID response.

Notably, Brian Kemp in Georgia (first to reopen) has the lowest approval rating, underwater at 39%. And “that woman” Gretchen Whitmer has a 72% approval rating. Looks like all those protesters were just a vocal minority. Shocker!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/many-governors-win-bipartisan-support-for-handling-of-pandemic-but-some-republicans-face-blowback-over-reopening-efforts/2020/05/11/8e98500e-93d2-11ea-9f5e-56d8239bf9ad_story.html
Brad Little and Holcomb have also been pretty good, at least for GOP governors.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1958 on: May 12, 2020, 04:04:57 PM »

I bet if Trump or Pence were tested positive, they wouldn't report it. Unless they get sick (which I don't wish despite strong dislike), nobody would notice since neither can actually get out much anyway.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1959 on: May 12, 2020, 04:07:45 PM »

Brad Little and Holcomb have also been pretty good, at least for GOP governors.

And don't forget Larry Hogan, who's probably had the best response to the pandemic aside from DeWine among Republicans, and certainly among all Governors.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1960 on: May 12, 2020, 04:15:44 PM »

LA extended their stay at home order until end of July

Here in Florida, in Orange County 4th of July Events got cancelled and all conventions through the end of the year were ordered to cancel
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1961 on: May 12, 2020, 04:34:42 PM »

Madison has free drive through testing for everyone who comes in. I went in a couple of hours ago. The COVID-19 test SUCKS. My nose still feels violated.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1962 on: May 12, 2020, 04:41:00 PM »

Madison has free drive through testing for everyone who comes in. I went in a couple of hours ago. The COVID-19 test SUCKS. My nose still feels violated.

Yeah it sucks
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1963 on: May 12, 2020, 04:52:11 PM »

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1260324940114464768

Just over 1500 deaths, compared to 2500 a week ago.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1964 on: May 12, 2020, 04:54:22 PM »

Most Americans have no intention of letting Trump off the hook for testing, God bless them:

Poll: Majority of Americans say coronavirus testing responsibility falls on federal government
The Pew Research Center survey finds 61 percent hold this view, compared with 37 percent who say responsibility mainly falls on state governments.

I bet if Trump or Pence were tested positive, they wouldn't report it. Unless they get sick (which I don't wish despite strong dislike), nobody would notice since neither can actually get out much anyway.

If Trump does test positive, then that is basically a death sentence for him.  And trust me, people would notice if they don't see Trump on television after a while even if his administration lies about it.  Especially if Pence starts becoming more visible all of a sudden.  
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1965 on: May 12, 2020, 05:27:25 PM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/accidental-poisonings-from-bleach-and-disinfectants-more-than-doubled-in-april-—-the-same-month-trump-suggested-they-could-be-injected/ar-BB13YUjc?li=BBnbfcL
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1966 on: May 12, 2020, 05:35:00 PM »

The positive test rate at 7% is also really good.  It's the lowest other than yesterday (which may have had some data issues).
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1967 on: May 12, 2020, 06:17:52 PM »

I'm extremely annoyed by people thinking that it's a black and white rift between reopening and keeping the orders in place.

It's like people refuse to acknowledge heat in this.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #1968 on: May 12, 2020, 06:25:52 PM »

Haven't really researched it tbh, but is there any actual proof that the virus is significantly reduced in warm weather? I mean, the thing is spreading just fine in Brazil, Ecuador and Peru for instance.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1969 on: May 12, 2020, 06:33:40 PM »

Does anyone have "US minus New York" numbers? It seems like New York being through the worst of it is accounting for most or all of the decline in new cases.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1970 on: May 12, 2020, 06:39:21 PM »

Does anyone have "US minus New York" numbers? It seems like New York being through the worst of it is accounting for most or all of the decline in new cases.
It’s not just New York, things in NJ, LA, and MI are looking positive. That being said, smaller states are seeing substantial case growth and need to be monitored.
(This is why we should have had an actual quarantine of the NYC metro)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1971 on: May 12, 2020, 06:47:31 PM »

Colorado numbers for May 11

New cases: 176 (-46.3%)
Total cases: 19,879

New deaths: 16 (+300%)
Total deaths: 987

“Real” cases: 244 (-49.7)

It does look good on the case front, although Monday typically has lower cases than usual here.
The new death increase isn’t surprising. Imo, the 4 deaths on Sunday seemed way too low, even if we were declining.
I still am pessimistic for the rest of this week, but there is no doubt these numbers alone are far better than I would have anticipated.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1972 on: May 12, 2020, 06:49:30 PM »

Haven't really researched it tbh, but is there any actual proof that the virus is significantly reduced in warm weather? I mean, the thing is spreading just fine in Brazil, Ecuador and Peru for instance.

Yes, just look at South Africa and Australia, and to an extent India. Also, look at how well several southern states are doing (Florida, Texas, Georgia, Alabama) compared to their governor's loose strategies.

It’s not just New York, things in NJ, LA, and MI are looking positive. That being said, smaller states are seeing substantial case growth and need to be monitored.
(This is why we should have had an actual quarantine of the NYC metro)

Testing is surging, cases p/d are probably going to continue to increase while the testing surges, the actual amount of cases p/d is declining almost everywhere. The only acceptable metric is percent of positives, which is declining everywhere.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1973 on: May 12, 2020, 06:51:08 PM »

There is speculation, and some small scale studies that kinda make the correlation, but it isn’t established fact.
I personally do think it will slow it a bit, but it certainly won’t make the virus disappear. More sunlight and less dry air will probably help.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1974 on: May 12, 2020, 06:51:47 PM »

Yeah it sucks

Does it hurt or just feel weird?
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies