SENATE RESOLUTION: Rules Amendment (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:18:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE RESOLUTION: Rules Amendment (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE RESOLUTION: Rules Amendment (Tabled)  (Read 824 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2020, 02:14:59 AM »
« edited: May 08, 2020, 02:16:16 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Amendment to Article 11 of the New Senate Rules Resolution

In the Atlasian Senate,

Article 11, Section 6 of the New Senate Rules Resolution is hereby amended:

Whenever either house shall vote to pass a bill, order, or resolution that shall have originated in the other, having previously made amendment to the same, the President of the Congress shall immediately call the amended bill to a vote in the house in which it originated return the amended bill to the house in which it originated and allow no less than 48 hours for debate.  Any member of the house may motion to extend debate no longer than seven days from the date the amended bill was presented.  If the original house should then vote to pass the amended bill, it shall proceed to the President; otherwise, the President of the Congress shall instruct the other house either to pass the bill as it stood prior to its amendment by that house, or else reject it entirely.

Sponsor: Scott
Senate Designation: SB23:15
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 02:15:10 AM »

Sponsor!!!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 03:10:45 AM »

So this is a fairly minor change to the rules, but one I believe is worth making so that legislators have more time to consider, and debate, legislation that has passed and been amended by the other house.  If the Senate adopts this rule change, I will encourage the House to do the same.

Unfortunately, it recently occurred to me that a constitutional amendment might actually be necessary to make this minor change, because currently our Constitution instructs the Vice President to "immediately" call a final vote to legislation amended by the other house and doesn't appear to allow for more debate.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 03:13:57 AM »

Could we possibly get Truman's opinion on this.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 06:38:41 AM »

I don't get the point of the extra debate time? Like we would not be allowed to make amendments or anything so what is the point?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 08:23:32 AM »

I don't get the point of the extra debate time? Like we would not be allowed to make amendments or anything so what is the point?

The point is to allow more time for discussion and consideration, as opposed to just throwing legislation on the floor and forcing people to make a decision on how they should vote immediately.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 10:41:12 AM »

Yes, this is unconstitutional at present.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 11:42:05 AM »

Could we transform this into a constitutional amendment then?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 10:05:49 PM »

Could we transform this into a constitutional amendment then?

Is there any reason we couldn't?

We are the Senate, we can transform any bill we want (except those coming back from house hence the point Tongue).
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 11:33:22 AM »

Honestly, I don't see a point to just passing this text as is (after it's transformed into a constitutional amendment) without also giving power to the chamber that the bill is returning to be able to also further amend the bill. Just delaying final votes and passage of legislation seems pointless in itself. Also, Scott, I don't see how delaying the final house vote on the gun control bill would've changed the outcome with this congress.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 11:25:59 AM »

Honestly, I don't see a point to just passing this text as is (after it's transformed into a constitutional amendment) without also giving power to the chamber that the bill is returning to be able to also further amend the bill. Just delaying final votes and passage of legislation seems pointless in itself. Also, Scott, I don't see how delaying the final house vote on the gun control bill would've changed the outcome with this congress.

Yeah I agree with this. This just slows an already complex process of bicameralism down further.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 05:14:43 PM »

If you allow debate that means you allow amendments and with amends the risk of the kickback loop. That would then require conference committees. This approach fell apart in 2016.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 05:27:02 PM »

If you allow debate that means you allow amendments and with amends the risk of the kickback loop. That would then require conference committees. This approach fell apart in 2016.

To clarify how do things work in Real Life when the House and Senate can't quite agree on a bill?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 06:21:26 PM »

The outcome of the gun control bill wouldn't have changed, but that's really not what this rule change is about.  For instance, I see people in the House debate our versions of their bills all the time as they're voting (like the Antifa Act), and I don't think that's a very efficient way of legislating.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 11:33:36 PM »

To clarify how do things work in Real Life when the House and Senate can't quite agree on a bill?

In RL the VP isn't the go between officially. They send bills to the other chamber and then the partisan administrations determine when or even if a bill is brought up.

There are hundreds of House bills that Mitch is basically crinkling up and smoking in his pipe.

What happens, nothing. The bill just languishes until the end of the session. In RL, unlike in game, when a bill isn't passed by the end of the session it is dead. Here there is perpetual carryover, so you run the risk of a perpetual feedback loop.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 11:36:01 PM »

The outcome of the gun control bill wouldn't have changed, but that's really not what this rule change is about.  For instance, I see people in the House debate our versions of their bills all the time as they're voting (like the Antifa Act), and I don't think that's a very efficient way of legislating.

So basically you want is just a period to discuss the merits before voting? Am I to assume it is not your intent that amendments be allowed to the underlying text during this "debate phase"?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 11:44:59 PM »

So basically you want is just a period to discuss the merits before voting? Am I to assume it is not your intent that amendments be allowed to the underlying text during this "debate phase"?

Correct.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 12:27:48 AM »

Correct.

I think that is going to need to be clarified in the Rules amendment, because debate on its own traditionally implies that amendments are allowed.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 12:39:39 AM »

There may technically be a way to get around the constitution issue: have the VP post a quote "preview" of the bill into the Senate thread; no signatures on the bottom etc, - and PM the Senators to make them aware of this. Then after 24 or 48 hours or however long the VP could formally introduce the passed House bill back to the senate and go to an immediate vote?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 12:43:57 AM »

There may technically be a way to get around the constitution issue: have the VP post a quote "preview" of the bill into the Senate thread; no signatures on the bottom etc, - and PM the Senators to make them aware of this. Then after 24 or 48 hours or however long the VP could formally introduce the passed House bill back to the senate and go to an immediate vote?

Thats a possibility, also deals with the "are amendments allowed" issue, since obviously they wouldn't in that situation.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 06:30:14 AM »

Well, honestly Yankee is getting this basically right. There are 2 options here:

1) We rework this into a constitutional amendment; allowing the Senate and the House to propose amendments. However this has the massive disadvantage of making legislation grind to a halt as everything will be very slow.

2) We do keep it without a constitutional amendment, not allowing amendments. In which case allowing more debate is a bit pointless. You can just make your "Aye" or "Nay" post come followed by a small speech saying why you vote this way, PM other Representatives/Senators to lobby for them to vote your way and what not.

I do not think this bill is a good idea in general.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 12:01:58 PM »

I don’t buy the idea that it’s pointless - the opportunity to discuss for a few days could, for instance, reveal legitimate issues with a bill or allow senators to debate in an attempt to change each other’s minds on something.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2020, 12:17:18 PM »

Honestly, it takes long enough as it is to move a bill from the back of the queue to the floor and through both houses without adding still more time for debate at the end, but that's just my two cents.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 12:23:58 AM »

The institutionalist conservatism in me dictates that I strive to preserve the bicameral system and the Burkean conservatism dictates that I strive to make it the least annoying as possible to people lest it foment opposition to its continued presence.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2020, 06:32:05 AM »

I don’t buy the idea that it’s pointless - the opportunity to discuss for a few days could, for instance, reveal legitimate issues with a bill or allow senators to debate in an attempt to change each other’s minds on something.

If that is the case, as I say just following your vote with a small speech should be enough?

There is also the possibility for the president to do a redraft I believe; if an amendment is crucially needed for some reason.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies