MD-GOV 2022: Can Maryland GOP win a third gubernatorial term in 2022? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:30:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-GOV 2022: Can Maryland GOP win a third gubernatorial term in 2022? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Can Maryland GOP win a third term in 2022?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 180

Author Topic: MD-GOV 2022: Can Maryland GOP win a third gubernatorial term in 2022?  (Read 19998 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: June 23, 2021, 08:41:11 PM »

No. Maryland is a blue state, pure and simple, and while Hogan was an exception to that rule, I don't believe they will continue this trend of electing red governors, not unless the Democratic nominee is someone very weak. It's like saying that in 2010 the Tennessee governership should stay with the Democrats because Phil Bredesen, the incumbent, is a Democrat.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 03:11:34 PM »

If the gets the nod the governorship will flip. I cannot see him winning a statewide election Maryland. He might even drag down candidates down ballot.

Are there any competitive races downballot? I feel like most races tend to be either safe D or safe R in Maryland.

Maybe a handful of legislative/county races. But yeah, all the congressional races (including Senate) will be safe and there's no doubt that Democrats will continue to control both chambers of the legislature, as they've done for over a century.

It's honestly kind of amazing that Maryland's consistently been a Democratic stronghold through so many different alignments, even as the internal coalitions have shifted.

Actually, MD was not a Democratic stronghold pre-1992.

It voted for the GOP in 1984 and 1988, and went for Carter narrowly enough in 1980. Prior to that, it voted in a landslide for Nixon in 1972, and went for Humphrey only narrowly in 1968. Before which it went for the GOP in 1948 (even as Truman won nationally) and 1952 and 1956. It also went for the GOP from 1920-1928. In 1904 Roosevelt won the actual popular vote in MD by 51 votes. It also voted for McKinely twice. Admittedly, it was solidly blue from 1868-1892.

But before the Civil War it was a solidly Whig (not Democratic) state that went for the the Whig in every election from 1828 (Quincy over Jackson) and 1832, arguably the first race with a Whig and a Democrat (by four votes - the narrowest raw vote margin ever!!) to 1848, inclusive. It only went for the Democrat in 1852, by which time Clay had died and the Whig Party had basically collapsed, with Democratic candidate Pierce winning in a landslide.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 08:59:48 PM »

If the gets the nod the governorship will flip. I cannot see him winning a statewide election Maryland. He might even drag down candidates down ballot.

Are there any competitive races downballot? I feel like most races tend to be either safe D or safe R in Maryland.

Maybe a handful of legislative/county races. But yeah, all the congressional races (including Senate) will be safe and there's no doubt that Democrats will continue to control both chambers of the legislature, as they've done for over a century.

It's honestly kind of amazing that Maryland's consistently been a Democratic stronghold through so many different alignments, even as the internal coalitions have shifted.

Actually, MD was not a Democratic stronghold pre-1992.
Locally it was, with the last Republican Speaker of the House of Delegates being speaker between 1918-1920 and before that two Republican speakers being speakers between 1896 and 1900.

That is true. I was thinking in terms of presidential elections.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies