MD-GOV 2022: Can Maryland GOP win a third gubernatorial term in 2022?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:05:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-GOV 2022: Can Maryland GOP win a third gubernatorial term in 2022?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
Poll
Question: Can Maryland GOP win a third term in 2022?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 180

Author Topic: MD-GOV 2022: Can Maryland GOP win a third gubernatorial term in 2022?  (Read 20006 times)
Duke of York

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2022, 04:52:17 PM »

He hasn’t won yet.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2022, 05:30:00 PM »

Maybe Cox deserves credit for winning the primary? Atlas always says the most right-wing candidates are "unelectable" and they consistently beat expectations on this forum. Republican primary voters still love Trump, but the far-leftists on this forum can't understand how somebody can support Trump except for "muh racist" or "muh fascist" or whatever.

Not saying Cox will win the general election, but don't act all shocked when Trumpist candidates win primaries and (some) win general elections.

I don't get how winning elections means someone isn't racist or fascist? Mussolini came to power because of an election. Racists win elections all the time, in almost every country. Most people were racist not too long ago. A large enough contingent of people are racist now that they make up a significant electoral interest. Your party wins most of their votes. If that bothers you it has nothing to do with "far leftists"
When you call everyone who disagrees with your agenda a "fascist" or "racist" it completely devalues the meaning of what you say and causes everyone to ignore you, and rightfully so.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2022, 06:23:36 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2022, 07:09:17 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

The answer to this thread title question evidently is a big, fat no! Cox might just be the worst possible candidate for Maryland today. The diametric opposite of the state he is trying to win in-a state that has become a microcosm for the Democratic Party. He is Mastriano in more hostile territory.

I had this election as being strong likely D, out of caution if Schultz were nominated and everything went right for her in a good environment, but this is titanium safe D now. I completely agree with everyone else saying that.

The Maryland GOP (and Massachusetts GOP too) really have become gluttons for punishment, haven't they? Even with the MD-6 election.

Moore will be an excellent Governor and could definitely be a sneaky POTUS candidate some day.

If he does end up winning and can prove to be an effective and popular Governor he might as well be an automatic front-runner in an open primary: he is young, handsome, a veteran, a person of color, has links to the black community, can have appeal to both progressives and establishment interests, and by that point will have had executive experience. He has some minor controversies regarding his book, but I don't know how much that will harm him going forward. At the very least he would also make a good running mate too. He is very likely to appear on a presidential ticket in the future, period, in one way or another.

He might end up on the Obama-like trajectory that Democratic politicians like Eric Adams, Cory Booker, and Anthony Brown all wanted to be on.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #203 on: July 21, 2022, 02:40:49 PM »

They won't. The Republican party in Maryland doesn't want to win general elections statewide anymore.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #204 on: July 22, 2022, 08:25:13 AM »

75K+ mail-ins counted on the Dem side, and Moore remains the leader with 34.7% overall, 30k votes ahead of Perez (27.8%)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #205 on: July 22, 2022, 08:49:36 AM »

Indies vote in the primary and they voted for Prez or Cox, obviously, Prez and FRANCHOT split the vote
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #206 on: July 22, 2022, 09:49:41 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #207 on: July 22, 2022, 09:54:49 AM »

No FRANCHOT the worse Top to third primary D in history

Exposed flaws in poll
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #208 on: July 22, 2022, 10:12:27 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/06/02/franchot-ad-maryland-governor-race/

Here's why Franchot Lost he had questions about his funds
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #209 on: July 22, 2022, 01:25:30 PM »

Congratulations to Wes Moore on winning this one and this is not a criticism of him as he did not come up with the rules for the election but it seems a bit ridiculous that 66% of voters chose someone else but he gets the nomination because he got 30,000 more votes.  I'm not the biggest fan of runoffs but in a situation like this, I get it.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #210 on: July 22, 2022, 05:47:51 PM »

I think it should be noted that some outlets still haven't projected Moore as the winner and Perez insists on not conceding until more votes are counted, which I guess is fair, but I still doubt it will matter. 

Congratulations to Wes Moore on winning this one and this is not a criticism of him as he did not come up with the rules for the election but it seems a bit ridiculous that 66% of voters chose someone else but he gets the nomination because he got 30,000 more votes.  I'm not the biggest fan of runoffs but in a situation like this, I get it.

I totally get where you're coming from, but in fairness to Moore it's not his fault there were so many candidates in this race. Hell, Baker, who withdrew, came in fourth place. Actually, I'm wondering if Baker dropping out is really what helped Moore come out ahead. Moore's margin in Prince George's probably would have been weaker had he stayed in and Franchot or Perez would possibly have benefited from that.
Duke of York

« Reply #211 on: July 22, 2022, 05:56:46 PM »

I think it should be noted that some outlets still haven't projected Moore as the winner and Perez insists on not conceding until more votes are counted, which I guess is fair, but I still doubt it will matter. 

I totally get where you're coming from, but in fairness to Moore it's not his fault there were so many candidates in this race. Hell, Baker, who withdrew, came in fourth place. Actually, I'm wondering if Baker dropping out is really what helped Moore come out ahead. Moore's margin in Prince George's probably would have been weaker had he stayed in and Franchot or Perez would possibly have benefited from that.

I get why some outlets are being cautious but given how much ground Perez has to make up and the margin he has to win mail in ballots to overtake Moore the odds are simply not in his favor. Plus there are many ballots left to count in Baltimore City, Baltimore County and Prince George's County were Moore has been doing well.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #212 on: July 22, 2022, 09:14:38 PM »

Definitely, I won't place any blame on him.  He doesn't make the rules and we can't fault him for playing the system as it is and, as you mention, he didn't force anyone else into the race. 

My main point is that it is a bit absurd that a candidate can be nominated with a supermajority of voters against him.  But this isn't a Moore-specific point and I'd make it no matter which of the many Democrats won.
LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #213 on: July 22, 2022, 10:41:58 PM »

Tonight is the first night I’ve heard of Wes Moore but wow, he’s giving serious Obama vibes in this Colbert interview I found. He is a very strong candidate and I think we’ll hear more from him on the national stage one day
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2022, 12:51:21 AM »

Maybe Cox deserves credit for winning the primary? Atlas always says the most right-wing candidates are "unelectable" and they consistently beat expectations on this forum. Republican primary voters still love Trump, but the far-leftists on this forum can't understand how somebody can support Trump except for "muh racist" or "muh fascist" or whatever.

Not saying Cox will win the general election, but don't act all shocked when Trumpist candidates win primaries and (some) win general elections.

No one is surprised when Trumpist candidates win Republican -primaries-.  It is much more surprising when Trumpist candidates don’t get the nomination.

But that doesn’t make them “electable”.  The number of Trumpist candidates that have won general elections in swing states is pretty small.  And as far as I can think of, the number of Trumpist candidates that have won in states or districts as blue as MD is zero.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #215 on: July 23, 2022, 12:53:13 AM »

No one is surprised when Trumpist candidates win Republican -primaries-.  It is much more surprising when Trumpist candidates don’t get the nomination.

But that doesn’t make them “electable”.  The number of Trumpist candidates that have won general elections in swing states is pretty small.  And as far as I can think of, the number of Trumpist candidates that have won in states or districts as blue as MD is zero.

inb4 Mayra Flores

I'm being negatively polarized into caring about that race even though I absolutely hate Gonzalez.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2022, 02:40:18 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2022, 06:15:50 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

These extremist GOP candidate are winning because Indies or D's are voting in the R primary that will vote D in the GE, they did the same thing with Bailey in IL and Sullivan and Irvin split the vote, Sullivan would have given PRITZKER a run for his money, but Pritzker didn't attack Sullivan he attacked Irvin

Schultz underperform because D leaning Indies voted for Cox the Bailey of this race
Duke of York

« Reply #217 on: July 23, 2022, 11:01:00 AM »

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-entertainment-donald-trump-larry-hogan-cdacc45d4f3cc6f65d14357d0ae86c64

AP has called it for Moore.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #218 on: July 23, 2022, 11:10:14 AM »

Gov. Moore incoming? He'd be the only black gov in 2023? Unless some of the black lt. govs like Gilchrist or Stratton unexpectedly ascend to the top job.
Duke of York

« Reply #219 on: July 23, 2022, 04:02:17 PM »

Gov. Moore incoming? He'd be the only black gov in 2023? Unless some of the black lt. govs like Gilchrist or Stratton unexpectedly ascend to the top job.

He is the heavy favorite to win and probably will be the only black governor in the nation and only the third in US history.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #220 on: July 23, 2022, 04:48:23 PM »

They won't. The Republican party in Maryland doesn't want to win general elections statewide anymore.
Their local machines tend to suffer when they are in statewide power, whereas oftentimes local democratic machines quietly benefit from a Republican governor vetoing bills they can't vocally oppose.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #221 on: July 23, 2022, 06:07:05 PM »

Time to suggest a punny topic title change!

"Wes is Moore."
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2022, 11:01:38 PM »

The real question is do Dems hold their state legislative supermajorities.

Also, I think a Dem trifecta MD would be a prime target to join Cali and NY in the GOPs punching bag. MD frankly has a lot of problems, its association with DC is meaningful, and also you have a lot of white liberals and a lot of black communities that aren’t doing so well, which the GOP loves to pit against each other (yes ik Ann Arundel County exists)
Duke of York

« Reply #223 on: July 24, 2022, 08:25:15 AM »

Also, I think a Dem trifecta MD would be a prime target to join Cali and NY in the GOPs punching bag. MD frankly has a lot of problems, its association with DC is meaningful, and also you have a lot of white liberals and a lot of black communities that aren’t doing so well, which the GOP loves to pit against each other (yes ik Ann Arundel County exists)

It seems highly plausible given how extreme Cox is. I wouldn't be surprised if Republicans lose seats in both chambers.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #224 on: July 24, 2022, 09:04:26 PM »

It seems highly plausible given how extreme Cox is. I wouldn't be surprised if Republicans lose seats in both chambers.

Redistricting made this almost inevitable imo. Even if Republicans manage to minimize their losses now that just means they'll lose harder in the next unfavorable cycle.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies