What is your household income?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:52:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What is your household income?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: What is your annual household income in US dollars?
Less than $25,000

$25,000-$49,999

$50,000-$99,999

$100,000-$250,000

$250,000-$499,999

$500,000-$999,999

$1 million or more

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 104

Author Topic: What is your household income?  (Read 2605 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2020, 07:34:17 AM »

This poll is inspired by a post in USGD that included "I know most people on this forum come from households earning millions a year", which surprised the heck out of me because I've never had an impression that the forum was full of rich people.  So I decided to take a survey and see.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 07:39:35 AM »

I don't really know, but if I had to guess, high six figures.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 07:48:01 AM »

Option 2.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 07:49:24 AM »

This poll is inspired by a post in USGD that included "I know most people on this forum come from households earning millions a year", which surprised the heck out of me because I've never had an impression that the forum was full of rich people.  So I decided to take a survey and see.
there are quite a few offspring of successful people here.  Some of them are, as is usually the case in their class, also successful or on their way to it.  Others...not so much.  We can all agree that they are usually the worst.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 07:50:08 AM »

25-50k €, pretty normal around here for my age.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 08:17:31 AM »

i choice 1, but from 0 and 24,000 there is a large difference
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 08:18:53 AM »

If we're going off of the address where I've lived the last two years, option 2. If we're going off my permanent legal address/the house where I'm spending quarantine, option 4, I think. My parents have never told me their income, so it's just an educated guess on my part.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 08:29:04 AM »

This poll is inspired by a post in USGD that included "I know most people on this forum come from households earning millions a year", which surprised the heck out of me because I've never had an impression that the forum was full of rich people.  So I decided to take a survey and see.

My bad. I did not mean for it to be taken literally. My perception is that most people here grew up very privileged.

Both anyway I was on lower end up of option 3 in St. Louis and now middle of option 3 in Nova. Despite the large increase my income in St. Louis was higher when factoring in cost of living.

While I hate the large oversized houses in Nova that I see all the time which make me so angry that I am tempted just to roll around on the grass at some point... I do not miss living in the reality show of the City of St. Louis. I got a great deal on rent in Nova as well. Paying 700.00 a month. More than I paid for a St. Louis studio but oh well.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 08:55:05 AM »

Option 4, but the median household income in Switzerland is also in option 4
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 09:29:35 AM »

I grew up in the $100-250k range, and being just two years into the working world and my wife in school, we are in the $50-99k range.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 09:40:34 AM »

This poll is inspired by a post in USGD that included "I know most people on this forum come from households earning millions a year", which surprised the heck out of me because I've never had an impression that the forum was full of rich people.  So I decided to take a survey and see.
there are quite a few offspring of successful people here.  Some of them are, as is usually the case in their class, also successful or on their way to it.  Others...not so much.  We can all agree that they are usually the worst.

Dependent upon how you define successful...The only person I know intimately that grew up in a million dollar household is actually the most humble human being I have ever met and in the top 10 non-public figures I most admire. Always cares about learning and never thinks he has all the answers despite usually being the smartest in the room.

Based on plenty of experience, I agree that children of the 'upper middle class'/mid-six figure households are more often than not The Worst; however, the children of the truly successful are often (but not always) extolled with some of the strongest virtues. Still a mixed bag like all income groups, but the curve probably resembles something between a U and J.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 09:51:43 AM »

Dependent upon how you define successful...The only person I know intimately that grew up in a million dollar household is actually the most humble human being I have ever met and in the top 10 non-public figures I most admire. Always cares about learning and never thinks he has all the answers despite usually being the smartest in the room.

Based on plenty of experience, I agree that children of the 'upper middle class'/mid-six figure households are more often than not The Worst; however, the children of the truly successful are often (but not always) extolled with some of the strongest virtues. Still a mixed bag like all income groups, but the curve probably resembles something between a U and J.
I agree.  I'm just talking about those born into wealth and then never make their own way in life.  And to be clear, they are not "the worst" as a group.  Many of them have perfectly reasonable excuses for it, some valid, some not so much.  Either way, it's better for the soul to provide for one's own.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 10:12:02 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2020, 10:16:47 AM by RINO Tom »

Option 3, ENTIRELY on the back of my girlfriend for the moment ... Lol.  If the goal is to disclose all of our privilege, however, the last year I lived with my parents was option 5.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 10:13:24 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2020, 10:34:13 AM by Flarda Man »

Me personally? Less than $20,000 certainly. But my dad owns an entire city block of industrial land that I manage, so the family as a whole is more than comfortable.

Part of the reason I'm no longer active in politics these days is because I have the promise of this land in the future. Considering I have a severely disabled brother and another who might not even be alive at this time next year if he keeps doing what he's been doing, I really don't have the luxury of frittering away at my education in Tallahassee anymore. And that's ok. Of course I wanted a more satisfying, if not a more humble living, in politics. Someone once offered my dad an insane amount of money for this land at the peak of the boom, but I'm gonna hang onto it because the rent we take in can support my entire family yearly. I can sell it if the markets way way up, but I want to squeeze every penny I can earn honestly from this place before I do it.

I'm aware that most families don't have this opportunity. I've been blessed by God to have a fallback job that makes more earnings than I would if I pursued my original calling. God gave us this land to take care of my youngest brother. So I take this job very seriously, and I've actually grown to love it. All I have to do is some mild physical labor, such as today when I used a sledgehammer to break up several rotting pallets. I use a grabber and pick up the trash which accumulates. Sometimes I use a forklift to put a concrete block that weighs a thousand freaking pounds and put it in front of the trucks of tenants who haven't paid their rent. More than once in the last year have we had to seize a truck through storage liens. My dad, having been a trucker for decades, loves buying them, fixing them, and selling them. That's only a side hobby though.

Anywho, if my family can be elligable for Medicare, which my youngest brother relies on (we'd have to sell this place three times over to get the money needed to take care of him), than so should every American. I don't support Medicare for political reasons, but rather, for moral reasons.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 10:30:00 AM »

I agree.  I'm just talking about those born into wealth and then never make their own way in life.  And to be clear, they are not "the worst" as a group.  Many of them have perfectly reasonable excuses for it, some valid, some not so much.  Either way, it's better for the soul to provide for one's own.
My parents's parents both used the expression "we were poor, but didn't know it." I have a lot of friends who grew up rich, but also didn't know it. Mainly because their parents in most cases are very frugal with money and aware that it could have a corrupting and corrosive effect on their motivation.

My dad didn't tell me how valuable his holdings are. I only found out in the last year. My mom always said that we were "upper-middle class" and that I couldn't count on a massive inheritance. I believed it. And I'm glad she did, because I'm lazy enough as it is.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 10:55:48 AM »

3 if pre tax, 2 if after tax.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 11:13:50 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2020, 06:33:59 AM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

Around 50 000$; voted for option 3 though I am not 100% sure of which side of the line my household actually falls in.

Worth noting this is because I am living with my parents, as if I lived alone my income would be a whopping 0$. Also I am sure whatever the American equivalent to my family would be would be firmly within option 3 territory, though certainly far from getting to option 4.

Edit: Yeah, while my household is not rich by any means, I am privileged to have grown in a household well above the national average (which currently hovers around 30k$ for households) and with very stable jobs fo my parents); and really grateful for that.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 11:32:01 AM »

Me personally: 50-99K (live alone, 24 years old)

Growing up, my dad made seven figures.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 11:42:53 AM »

Option 3, ENTIRELY on the back of my girlfriend for the moment ... Lol.  If the goal is to disclose all of our privilege, however, the last year I lived with my parents was option 5.

RINO Tom: Kept man.

Lucky bastard. Grin
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 12:45:22 PM »

$26,500 net (AFTER taxes) in Canadian dollsrs.

I just got a raise putting me up to $31,000 (net not gross) on average, but it's a "COVID-19 hazard raise" and it won't last.

here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 01:05:53 PM »

I make about 50k and my girlfriend makes 40k, so 50-99k range.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 01:16:36 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2020, 01:21:09 PM by Del Tachi »

I grew up in the $250k-$500k range, but now that I'm out on my own I'm making a paltry $48k/yr.  Should be getting a raise to bump me over $50k soon.  Cost of living in Mississippi is ridiculously low, though. 
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 02:12:09 PM »

RINO Tom: Kept man.

Lucky bastard. Grin

Not to downplay JUST how generous my lady friend is, but I think she's expecting me to even things out once this whole MBA thing is done. Wink
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 02:17:30 PM »

It would be rude of me to say.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar