"God bows down to Donald Trump"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:40:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "God bows down to Donald Trump"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: "God bows down to Donald Trump"  (Read 3455 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2020, 11:53:56 PM »

How are there Christians who believe this?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 11:55:18 PM »

There aren't.

The people who believe this aren't Christians. (Except in their own imaginations.)

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 12:00:14 AM »

Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition
 who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.
The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders
and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved
And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie,
that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 01:24:33 AM »

There aren't.

The people who believe this aren't Christians. (Except in their own imaginations.)

Sure they are. Do they meet the moral and theological parameters? Probably not. But if we applied such a standard, the pews would be empty. So, assuming they self-identify as such, that's exactly what they are. Sadly, I don't think this sort of thinking is unrepresentative of reactionary white Christians in 2020. It's exaggerated, to be sure, but they're certainly more enamored with tribal warfare than any sort of Sermon on the Mount ethic. I think it was Dostoevsky who said, to paraphrase, that there was one Christian, and he died on a hilltop in Judea 2000 years ago. Evidently, the author had a pretty clear understanding of humanity!

Supposing it had actually happened in 2020, would the crowd chanting "Free Barabbas!" have been teeming with MAGA hats? There's not a shred of doubt in my mind.        
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 01:41:51 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2020, 09:12:27 PM by Olawakanda Forever »

There aren't.

Sure they are. Do they meet the moral and theological parameters? Probably not. But if we applied such a standard, the pews would be empty. So, assuming they self-identify as such, that's exactly what they are.
No no no no no no no no NO. I was told again and again, adamantly, confidently and aggressively, that trans people don't get to decide how they are identified based on their feelings, that the FACT that they meet the biological definition of a man means that they cannot be considered a woman. I was told by these same "christian" trumpanzees that our logic dictated that they could self-identify as an attack helicopter and we would have to respect that identity, and that obviously that was ridiculous as the biological facts didn't show they were a helicopter.

These people do NOT follow the teachings of Christ. They are not christians. That's an objective fact. They spent all this time and energy screaming about how you have to meet the proper definitions or else it doesn't count. Why the f__k should we now accept that they FEEL like they are christians, based on no actual facts?
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 02:50:56 AM »

So apparently, while the photo is real, the poster wasn't put up by a Trump supporter but by a Trump opponent taking the piss.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/god-bows-down-trump-sign/
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 03:08:03 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2020, 03:11:17 AM by Rep. Joseph Cao »

BlueSwan beat me to it, but if I may quote from the Snopes article:

…Sander is definitely not a Trump supporter. Since the 2016 election, Sander has posted over a hundred signs in his yard bearing messages that criticize and poke fun at the current chief executive … In this particular case, Sander’s “God Bows Down to Trump” campaign sign display was meant to be taken ironically (or “satirically”) rather than literally — it was mocking Trump and the sentiment expressed in the text rather than promoting them.

(It's also from February.)

Not to cut off the very interesting discussion, though. Carry on.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 03:10:48 AM »

Trump/God 2020 !
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 03:16:22 AM »

Trump/Judas 2020

"I like deities that don't get captured (and crucified)."
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 07:10:01 AM »

Trump/Judas 2020

Neither running mate is a native-born American citizen. Smiley
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 07:46:17 AM »

BlueSwan beat me to it, but if I may quote from the Snopes article:

…Sander is definitely not a Trump supporter. Since the 2016 election, Sander has posted over a hundred signs in his yard bearing messages that criticize and poke fun at the current chief executive … In this particular case, Sander’s “God Bows Down to Trump” campaign sign display was meant to be taken ironically (or “satirically”) rather than literally — it was mocking Trump and the sentiment expressed in the text rather than promoting them.

(It's also from February.)

Not to cut off the very interesting discussion, though. Carry on.

Was it taken literally by many supporters?

It is definitely true that a fundamentalist mantra now is "Christ died for you. Trump lives for you."

There aren't.

Sure they are. Do they meet the moral and theological parameters? Probably not. But if we applied such a standard, the pews would be empty. So, assuming they self-identify as such, that's exactly what they are.
No no no no no no no no NO. I was told again and again, adamantly, confidently and aggressively, that trans people don't get to decide how they are identified based on their feelings, that the FACT that they meet the biological definition of a man means that they cannot be considered a woman. I was told by these same "christian" trumpanzees that our logic dictated that they could self-identify as an attack helicopter and we would have to respect that identity, and that obviously that was ridiculous as the biological facts didn't show they were a helicopter.

These people do follow the teachings of Christ. They are not christians. That's an objective fact. They spent all this time and energy screaming about how you have to meet the proper definitions or else it doesn't count. Why the f__k should we now accept that they FEEL like they are christians, based on no actual facts?
It's not a religion, its an identity.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 09:43:28 AM »

There aren't.

^^^
I agree with all of this.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 09:56:18 AM »

The question is then whether supporters are taking it literally.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 10:09:58 AM »

Trump/Judas 2020

Neither running mate is a native-born American citizen. Smiley

As long as they were living in the US when the Constitution was adopted, they're good.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 10:16:45 AM »

And the answer is no, because most Trump supporters have actually stepped inside a church and know/experience something about religion.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 12:47:27 PM »

How are there people who believe there are Christians who believe this?
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 01:05:44 PM »

So apparently, while the photo is real, the poster wasn't put up by a Trump supporter but by a Trump opponent taking the piss.

Correct. The creator of the sign posts a new one every week on the NJ subreddit and every week there's 100 comments asking if it's for real.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 01:12:55 PM »

Just more evidence that the left's portrayal of religious conservatives is nothing but an absurd caricature not based in any sort of reality.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 07:01:21 PM »

That's what I thought when I read the actual sign. It looked like parody to me, and it turns out it was.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 10:54:14 AM »

Trump does have a personality cult, but that expression is mockery.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2020, 11:08:07 AM »

Trump/Judas 2020

Good to see you're getting your mojo back.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2020, 09:20:40 PM »

How are there people who believe there are Christians who believe this?

Shua asks the intelligent question.

Just more evidence that the left's portrayal of religious conservatives is nothing but an absurd caricature not based in any sort of reality.

DelTachi provided the intelligent answer.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2020, 09:30:39 PM »

There aren't.

^^^
I agree with all of this.

Ah yes the No True Scotsman fallacy
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2020, 12:24:57 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2020, 03:47:01 PM by R.P. McM »

I mean, the traitorous, racist, p*ssy-grabbing POTUS is certainly problematic. And then there's this:

Yeah, the caricatures leftists have painted of the Christian right have been all wrong /s. Nah, mang, it pains me to say so, but they were right all along. The Caucasian, Christian far-right is an extremely ugly portrait of humanity. Sorry — pressure your peers to do better.  Alternatively, you can whine about "the media!" — should we all huff Lysol? — and we can systemically and mercilessly dismantle your electoral coalition. Your choice.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2020, 01:38:56 AM »

There aren't.

These people do NOT follow the teachings of Christ. They are not christians. That's an objective fact. They spent all this time and energy screaming about how you have to meet the proper definitions or else it doesn't count. Why the f__k should we now accept that they FEEL like they are christians, based on no actual facts?

If we limit the definition of "Christian" to "people who follow the teachings of Christ," there are no Christians in this country.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies