"Friend Requests from Guests"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:26:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  About this Site
  The Atlas
  "Friend Requests from Guests"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Friend Requests from Guests"  (Read 427 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2020, 09:10:56 PM »

So I have had two requests from folks asking to be my "buddy" within the past (10) days who simply show up as "Guests"....

No idea who these people are, let alone if this is anything legit or just a phishing attempt...

Has anybody else experienced this?

Are there loopholes within the Atlas migration to TalkElections that allows individuals to send PMs to my account as "guests"?

Regardless--- don't plan on accepting any "buddy requests" from guests, but curious if I am an outlier or if this is something else going on, since in my mind before I accept anyone as a "buddy" I would like to be able to know that they are a legit Atlas Poster and not some random spam or phishing account....

What does the rest of the Community think about this concern of mine?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 09:12:55 PM »

this seems concerning.
It did remind me to send you a buddy request. You are an excellent poster after all.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 09:24:33 PM »

The buddy request PMs don't show up as personal messages from the user who added you to their buddy list, they show up as PMs from "Notifier", which SMF just labels "Guest" for whatever reason. It's not an actual PM from a guest user. It's just a quirk of the system.

Keep in mind that the buddy list feature is a 3rd party addon made for the SM forum software, so it doesn't have "full integration." That is why you have little quirks like showing up as "Guest."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies