Penalty for getting an abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:31:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Penalty for getting an abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: If you believe getting an abortion should be illegal, what should the penalty be?
Pay a fine

Jail time

Death

Other

Getting an abortion should be legal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Penalty for getting an abortion  (Read 5021 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2006, 07:37:37 AM »

One viable, if not strange argument against that Ebowed.

If any event that in the end leads to the creation of a life is murder, then isn't intercourse with protection or - to an extreme end - male masturbation, murder?

Well, I don't believe that an embryo is only potential life - I believe it is life, as it is a developing human being with a separate DNA code to that of the mother's.  So the comparison, at least in the manner that you presented it, isn't really valid, because sperm is only the potential to be life, assuming all of the right conditions are met.  When a guy masturbates, he's not committing murder, because none of the sperm is unique or going to develop into anything other than a dried semen stain.

So, I would say that using protection is preventing life from beginning, whereas abortion is ending life after it has already begun.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2006, 07:44:18 AM »

Yet again, we come back to the same old game:  you're choosing when life begins.  Absolutism - "life begins at conception" is absolute in no real way.  If we're defining it by when things are "set in motion," life begins when ejaculation is achieved during coitus.  A number of things - protection, birth control - can interrupt this process.

If sperm is not unique, how is an embryo?  Both are potential life containing DNA.  The amount of time they can survive on their own really is functionally irrelevant, frankly.  By that definition, many very alive things that require a certain condition to achieve life are not alive.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2006, 07:52:53 AM »

Yet again, we come back to the same old game:  you're choosing when life begins.

I don't see how this is any sort of surprise; it's no different than someone who is pro-choice during the frist trimester saying that life begins somewhere around 90 days after conception.  That's what the issue is really about, anyway.  Very few people who sincerely believe life begins at conception would go on to say that abortion should be legal in all circumstances.  Obviously, abortion becomes unacceptable when it's clear that the act would be taking a human life, so of course I'm basing my beliefs on when I think life begins.  I don't see how it's any "same old game."

If sperm is not unique, how is an embryo?

An embryo has a newly formed, separate DNA code.

You don't look at a pile of semen and see it develop into anything new.  You could jerk off and think, "I'll name that one Jerry," but until that sperm meets with an egg and forms a new, separate entity, you're not really going anywhere.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2006, 02:06:21 PM »

It should be legal within 90 days of conception.

After that, community service for first infraction, then a fine and community service for second, and community service/jail time for third.  Throwing black women in jail isn't the answer here, especially if they have families to tend to at home.

So, only black woman get abortions?
Or only black woman have families to care to and should be pitied?
You, sir, are the epithome of the lily white latte liberal.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies