HB 23-17: Jobs and Pay During the Coronavirus Pandemic Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:04:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 23-17: Jobs and Pay During the Coronavirus Pandemic Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 23-17: Jobs and Pay During the Coronavirus Pandemic Act (Passed)  (Read 1340 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2020, 05:45:47 PM »
« edited: April 23, 2020, 08:31:37 PM by Speaker Thumb21 »

JOBS AND PAY DURING THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC ACT

To provide hazard pay to frontline workers and incentivise employee retention.

Be it enacted by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia assembled
SECTION I: TITLE.
This law shall be referred to as the Jobs and Pay During the Coronavirus Pandemic Act.

SECTION II: FINDINGS.

(a) Frontline workers put the health and wellbeing of themselves and their families at great risk to provide vital services to help Atlasians get through this pandemic.

(b) Hazard pay can help us compensate these workers for the risks they are taking.

(c) The Coronavirus pandemic has put many workers at risk of unemployment.

(d) It is important, therefore, that congress works to keep people in employment so that they can afford what they need to get through these difficult times.

SECTION III: DEFINITIONS.

(a) "Frontline workers" shall refer to:
 (i) Healthcare workers.
 (ii) First responders.
 (iii) Grocery and food service workers.
 (iv) Farmworkers.
 (v) Public works employees.
 (vi) Postal and delivery workers.

SECTION IV: HAZARD PAY FOR FRONTLINE WORKERS.

(a) In addition to their normal wage, frontline workers shall be entitled to hazard pay equivalent to 20% of their monthly pay as it stood on the 1st of March 2020.

(b) 75% of this hazard pay be covered by the Atlasian Government, with the remaining 25%
covered by the employer.

(c) The hazard pay granted by this section shall be offered in addition to any other hazard pay an employee may be recieving.

SECTION V: EMPLOYEE RETENTION.

(a) All loans given to businesses with fewer than 250 employees under the More Money for
Hurting Small Businesses Act and the Emergency Economic Stimulus Act of 2020 shall become
grants if a business does not dismiss employees or reduce employees hours without their
consent for 10 months upon the passage of this act.
 (i) This provision shall not apply in cases of documented serious employee incompetence
 or bad faith actions (provided other remedies have proven infeasible).

(b) Businesses shall be required to pay 25% of the monthly wage as it stood on the 1st
of March 2020 of employees who they have dismissed for 3 months after the dismissal.
 (i) This provision shall not apply in cases of documented serious employee incompetence
 or bad faith actions (provided other remedies have proven infeasible).
 (ii) This provision shall apply for 10 months upon the passage of this act.

SECTION V: IMPLEMENTATION.

(a) This act shall take effect immediately upon passage.

Sponsor: Thumb21
House Designation: HB 23-17

72 hours to debate.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 05:55:32 PM »

This bill adds 20% hazard pay for essential workers, I think its important that they are compensated for the risks that they are taking.

It also offers incentives to businesses to keep their employees by allowing them to keep the money they've recieved in a loan if they don't fire people. There is also a disincentive in that they still have to pay former employees even if they've been dismissed.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 11:06:48 PM »

Seems pretty commonsense to me.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 12:45:18 PM »

Please explain why the government should be dictating the amount someone is paid and forcing our failing restaurants to pay even more to their employees?
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 02:19:45 PM »

Please explain why the government should be dictating the amount someone is paid and forcing our failing restaurants to pay even more to their employees?

Because having an industry whose workers are dependent on tipping culture is not a good thing. Especially during a time where they can't rely on it for survival and have to stay at home.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 05:24:46 PM »

Because having an industry whose workers are dependent on tipping culture is not a good thing. Especially during a time where they can't rely on it for survival and have to stay at home.

Where are those restaurants going to get the money while the government shuts them down of limits them to takeout and delivery?
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 09:12:07 AM »

Where are those restaurants going to get the money while the government shuts them down of limits them to takeout and delivery?

A few things.

1. These businesses are getting significant loans to help them cover their costs and get through the crisis.
2. They won't have to repay these loans anyway if they don't fire anyone.
3. Businesses only have to pay a quarter of the hazard pay, or 5% extra.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 07:03:52 AM »

Unless anyone has any other issues, motion for a final vote.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 12:45:18 PM »

Unless anyone has any other issues, motion for a final vote.

Seconding the motion for a final vote.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 07:26:20 AM »

Final vote

72 hours
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 07:26:43 AM »

Aye
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 08:18:21 AM »

aye
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 01:17:07 PM »

Aye
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 01:36:25 PM »

Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 09:25:03 PM »

Nay.

Money doesn't grow on trees, and our hurting small businesses can't afford to pay more to their employees right now. This is a decision best left to employers.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 09:59:31 PM »

Sorry I'm jumping into this late, but how is food service workers defined? Is this just full-time workers are part-time as well? There are a lot of restaurants around me that have shut down completely during the crisis. "More Money for Hurting Small Businesses Act" seems to be covering the initial pay as it is the average of the past year, but may not be able to cover some of this additional that is required under this bill.

This bill has good intentions - with multiple COVID-19 relief bills going through, I hope Congress carefully compares each one to ensure there isn't too much overlap or other loopholes. Right now, employees who fall into one of those categories but who aren't working now are going to be getting their regular pay, an additional 20% as well as the monthly stimulus checks. Helping hurting Atlasians needs to be balanced with Congress being good fiscal stewards of tax dollars, and I think there are a couple missing gaps here that need to be addressed.

I'll bring these concerns up to the Senate when they debate - hopefully the House passes this. Perhaps designation that this only applies to businesses that have remained open operating a certain number of business hours per week. Section V can also come into conflict with at-will states/regions, unless that was outlawed in a previous federal bill.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 10:07:27 PM »

our hurting small businesses can't afford to pay more to their employees right now. This is a decision best left to employers.

To be fair, the Atlasian left has made clear for a while that they think small business owners are evil and only exist to exploit people to make a profit (even though it's not actually true)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 10:38:29 PM »

Abstain.

Laudable goals, but the implemention is questionable, and it is very important that the Senate corrects the flaws that have been pointed out.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 10:42:30 PM »

Let it be known that if we were to go on strike, this bill‘s passage would greatly ease 1/3 of our concerns. If it is watered down in any way or not passed along with the other concerns of housing for those without legal residence or dealing with undocumented Atlasians working and testing concerns, the strike will continue until an acceptable compromise is reached.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 10:53:26 PM »

Let it be known that if we were to go on strike, this bill‘s passage would greatly ease 1/3 of our concerns. If it is watered down in any way or not passed along with the other concerns of housing for those without legal residence or dealing with undocumented Atlasians working and testing concerns, the strike will continue until an acceptable compromise is reached.

I will not be blackmailed into changing my vote by threats of strikes or otherwise.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 11:05:22 PM »

I will not be blackmailed into changing my vote by threats of strikes or otherwise.
I was merely stating a probability of a strike occurs, not any sort of blackmail.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 11:09:19 PM »

I was merely stating a probability of a strike occurs, not any sort of blackmail.

Well, not only will I not be blackmailed over any issue, I'm also going to read every bill very closely right now to make sure that the Atlasian left isn't trying to enact their pet issues into law in a time of crisis. Never let a crisis go to waste, eh?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2020, 01:09:24 AM »

Well, not only will I not be blackmailed over any issue, I'm also going to read every bill very closely right now to make sure that the Atlasian left isn't trying to enact their pet issues into law in a time of crisis. Never let a crisis go to waste, eh?
The working class will not he pushed to submission by anyone. Not now, not ever.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 01:16:27 AM »

The working class will not he pushed to submission by anyone. Not now, not ever.

You don't speak for the "working class", nor do the unions that politicians like you like to force them to join.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 01:31:22 AM »

Gonna have to vote Nay on this for reasons that have already been stated. This is not the time to be forcing struggling businesses to give their employees pay raises. If others feel that hazard pay is necessary, then make it a 15% raise subsidized entirely by the government rather than 20% at a 75/25 split.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies