Church Attendance Rate Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:43:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Church Attendance Rate Maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Church Attendance Rate Maps  (Read 2978 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2020, 03:10:08 PM »

New York City and the surrounding area is much higher than I would have expected.

I mean, this is ENTIRELY anecdotal, but I always stereotype your average Midwestern Mainline Protestant like myself and a lot of my friends growing up as less avid church goers than the largely Italian Catholics I have met from New York over the years.

I find this funny, because here in Italy, well, pretty much everyone is an Italian Catholic, but a lot of people are Christmas & Easter types, starting with my mother.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2020, 01:54:44 AM »

RI, how difficult would it be for you to estimate church attendance by (broad) denomination using this map?  I'd be very interested to see how Catholics, Evangelicals and various Mainline denominations compare.  Anecdotally, growing up ELCA Lutheran, I feel a lot of Mainliners tend to be part of the "C&E Club" and not attend church often, though I will say a lot would still identify as being Mainline Protestant.

Depends on how he stored/recorded data on individual churches. DK how this would work in interaction with the cell phone data but I imagine it's matched with a list of locations/coordinates. If that sheet already includes denomination, it shouldn't be that hard to filter, though rendering that # as a percentage of a hypothetical larger body of believers might be difficult. Maybe census info could provide the raw numbers of "adherents" in each denomination to compare attendance numbers with.

There is no religious information in the decennial census. There have been non-governmental surveys of religious affiliation, but nothing by the government in this country.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2020, 12:01:27 AM »

I'd missed this thread earlier, but I'm really not surprised by the finding about church attendance, particularly in the South.  I think that a lot of people don't understand just how big of a role churches play in upper-middle class communities in the South- and how that both differs from similar communities outside of the South (or parts of the Midwest) and from more downscale Southern communities.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2020, 05:56:30 PM »

Covid 19 and the decline of Sunday schooling for K-12 have changed things so that people are doing online Churches even the Evangelicals in the South; consequently, I think they should change the term from Church attendance to traditionists and secularists, due to the fact the changing of the times

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies