Church Attendance Rate Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:24:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Church Attendance Rate Maps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Church Attendance Rate Maps  (Read 2967 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2020, 01:48:18 PM »

I've been working for a few years now on a project using smartphone data to map church attendance in the US. Here's a preliminary map showing the percentage of people who I have identified as attending a church by county during the period of August 2016 to January 2017:

Image Link

I can also post census tract level maps for individual counties by request. Previous data that exists has some severe methodological issues, so I think this is a one-of-a-kind map.

There are a ton of interesting things about this map, some of which confirm some long-held suspicions. A few observations:

1) Church attendance is not actually that high in the South outside of suburban counties. In general, this map correlates well with social capital, which also peaks in the upper Midwest and the Mormon Belt, and the middle of the income spectrum. Dutch Reformed areas also stick out.

2) Suburbs in general have more churchgoers than elsewhere, but especially in some of the anomalously Republican suburbs around Milwaukee and Indianapolis.

3) There seems to be a bit of relationship with Ted Cruz's primary share in 2016 (see Illinois, for example).

I'm sure you can find some other interesting things on the map.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 01:57:08 PM »

Thank you so much for this!
xelas81
Rookie
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 02:03:05 PM »

I've been working for a few years now on a project using smartphone data to map church attendance in the US. Here's a preliminary map showing the percentage of people who I have identified as attending a church by county during the period of August 2016 to January 2017:

Image Link

I can also post census tract level maps for individual counties by request. Previous data that exists has some severe methodological issues, so I think this is a one-of-a-kind map.

There are a ton of interesting things about this map, some of which confirm some long-held suspicions. A few observations:

1) Church attendance is not actually that high in the South outside of suburban counties. In general, this map correlates well with social capital, which also peaks in the upper Midwest and the Mormon Belt, and the middle of the income spectrum. Dutch Reformed areas also stick out.

2) Suburbs in general have more churchgoers than elsewhere, but especially in some of the anomalously Republican suburbs around Milwaukee and Indianapolis.

3) There seems to be a bit of relationship with Ted Cruz's primary share in 2016 (see Illinois, for example).

I'm sure you can find some other interesting things on the map.

What about people without smartphones who goes to a church?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 02:09:02 PM »

The low attendance rates in stereotypically religious Appalachia stuck out during my first glance.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 02:10:07 PM »

That's actually a really valuable piece of work that you should try and share to bigger companies (perhaps Pew?) who might be able to add to it.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 03:37:07 PM »

So basically, Church Attendance is directly correlated with income? (ie rich people go to church, poor people do not)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 03:57:33 PM »

So basically, Church Attendance is directly correlated with income? (ie rich people go to church, poor people do not)

Yes, very much so (but with some important exceptions), which is also pretty commonly seen in survey data. I recall a post by ExtremeRepublican which talked about the income-church attendance relationship pretty well. I believe the idea is that religiosity generally declines with income, but conditional on being religious, church attendance rises with income. Someone who is poor and religious likely doesn't attend church that often, if ever, whereas higher income religious individuals generally attend church quite often. This somewhat explains the Appalachia data, which can also be partially explained by the link between church attendance and social capital, which is also very low in Appalachia.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 05:00:36 PM »

The low attendance rates in stereotypically religious Appalachia stuck out during my first glance.
Contrary to what a lot of media would have you believe, the most religious folk in the South are Middle Class & above, not the "trailer trash" or "poor white trash" or "hillbillies" or what have you.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 05:13:01 PM »

Yes, very much so (but with some important exceptions), which is also pretty commonly seen in survey data. I recall a post by ExtremeRepublican which talked about the income-church attendance relationship pretty well. I believe the idea is that religiosity generally declines with income, but conditional on being religious, church attendance rises with income. Someone who is poor and religious likely doesn't attend church that often, if ever, whereas higher income religious individuals generally attend church quite often. This somewhat explains the Appalachia data, which can also be partially explained by the link between church attendance and social capital, which is also very low in Appalachia.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but isn't it also possible that bringing a smartphone with you correlates to income instead (or at least the number of smartphones a family brings)?

For example, I could see wealthy suburban families going to church with each member also carrying a smartphone at unusually high rates.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 06:20:27 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2020, 06:24:51 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

The New York metro is pretty impressive! I know it's immigrant-driven, but that's a solid percentage - lot of non-Hispanic immigration there too plus the lapsed incumbents of the areas circling Manhattan.

Chicago is significantly lagging, which is not something I would have guessed.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 07:09:18 PM »

Worth noting the numbers could be skewed by people who attend church in a different county than they live in, which I imagine is somewhat common in Appalachia. Might also boost suburban counties a bit too.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 09:18:08 PM »

Worth noting the numbers could be skewed by people who attend church in a different county than they live in, which I imagine is somewhat common in Appalachia. Might also boost suburban counties a bit too.

The data is based on where the person resides.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but isn't it also possible that bringing a smartphone with you correlates to income instead (or at least the number of smartphones a family brings)?

For example, I could see wealthy suburban families going to church with each member also carrying a smartphone at unusually high rates.

Something like 80% or more of American adults own a smartphone, so I'm not hugely concerned about that side of things. It's possible, but my experience suggests that poorer families don't really have fewer smartphones than richer ones, and, if anything, poorer families might be more likely to actually bring their smartphone into church than a wealthier one (e.g. to use as a distraction for kids, etc.).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 09:26:06 PM »

Something like 80% or more of American adults own a smartphone, so I'm not hugely concerned about that side of things. It's possible, but my experience suggests that poorer families don't really have fewer smartphones than richer ones, and, if anything, poorer families might be more likely to actually bring their smartphone into church than a wealthier one (e.g. to use as a distraction for kids, etc.).

Is it possible that there is geographic variation in the distribution of smartphone ownership?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2020, 09:57:33 PM »

Is it possible that there is geographic variation in the distribution of smartphone ownership?

All of our validation measures suggest that smartphones are not spatially distributed differently from the general population relative to any important demographic or political dimension.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2020, 07:38:22 PM »

The data is based on where the person resides.

I'm glad to be part of the 20% or less. That said, dismissing income and other effects that might keep people from going to church with a smartphone turned on and tracking location without some surveying to prove it isn't skewing the data doesn't seem very wise.
Basil
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 1.13

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 06:28:45 AM »

Could you do Lorain and Cuyahoga in Ohio please? I want to see if it confirms my suspicions.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 06:21:11 PM »

Covid 19 was an adjustment to the system. Patrons have the freedom to worship online and not subject to Churches getting them into the Church for membership purposes. I worship at home now
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 07:38:28 PM »

Contrary to what a lot of media would have you believe, the most religious folk in the South are Middle Class & above, not the "trailer trash" or "poor white trash" or "hillbillies" or what have you.

It depends what you mean by "most religious". Certainly the ones most bound up in church learning and religious hierarchy to the point of attending church regularly are middle class and above. I think saying that constitutes being "more religious" is somewhat dismissive of what you might call "modern folk religion" that is quite common with poor people in places like Appalachia who are untethered from institutional churches but nonetheless have strong religious beliefs (predominantly Christian or at least institutional-Christian-adjacent, of course).
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 10:11:31 PM »

Very interesting that the most religious part of the South is the Piedmont--not the coast, Black Belt, or Appalachia. Anybody have an explanation for this?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 10:46:02 PM »

Very interesting that the most religious part of the South is the Piedmont--not the coast, Black Belt, or Appalachia. Anybody have an explanation for this?

At least part of this is due to the uncritical use of phone geolocation data as the means of measurement.

There's also the potential issues of whether rural church locations have been adequately mapped, and whether urban churches are getting a higher rate of false positives from people driving by on their way to somewhere other than church, or simply to another church.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 10:46:29 AM »

Church attendance is correlated with social capital, especially in the South.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2020, 01:53:36 PM »

New York City and the surrounding area is much higher than I would have expected.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2020, 11:01:37 PM »

New York City and the surrounding area is much higher than I would have expected.

I mean, this is ENTIRELY anecdotal, but I always stereotype your average Midwestern Mainline Protestant like myself and a lot of my friends growing up as less avid church goers than the largely Italian Catholics I have met from New York over the years.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 10:49:05 AM »

RI, how difficult would it be for you to estimate church attendance by (broad) denomination using this map?  I'd be very interested to see how Catholics, Evangelicals and various Mainline denominations compare.  Anecdotally, growing up ELCA Lutheran, I feel a lot of Mainliners tend to be part of the "C&E Club" and not attend church often, though I will say a lot would still identify as being Mainline Protestant.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2020, 11:58:01 AM »

RI, how difficult would it be for you to estimate church attendance by (broad) denomination using this map?  I'd be very interested to see how Catholics, Evangelicals and various Mainline denominations compare.  Anecdotally, growing up ELCA Lutheran, I feel a lot of Mainliners tend to be part of the "C&E Club" and not attend church often, though I will say a lot would still identify as being Mainline Protestant.

Depends on how he stored/recorded data on individual churches. DK how this would work in interaction with the cell phone data but I imagine it's matched with a list of locations/coordinates. If that sheet already includes denomination, it shouldn't be that hard to filter, though rendering that # as a percentage of a hypothetical larger body of believers might be difficult. Maybe census info could provide the raw numbers of "adherents" in each denomination to compare attendance numbers with.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies