HB 23-15: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act (At Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:42:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 23-15: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act (At Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 23-15: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act (At Final Vote)  (Read 691 times)
Peanut
Costa Rica

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:54:25 PM »

Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act

SECTION I: Name and Intent

A.) This bill may be cited as the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act.

Section II: Criteria

1.) There shall be a nationwide ban on the purchasing, manufacturing, sale, or possession of assault weapons. The criteria laid out in Section 3A to shall be used to classify assault weapons.

2.) The prohibition does not apply to a firearm that is (1) manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action; (2) permanently inoperable; (3) an antique; or (4) a rifle or shotgun specifically identified by make and model.

3.) Any of the following features shall classify a firearm as an 'Assault Weapon'.

A.) Any semi automatic rifle which has a High Capacity Magazine (see Section III) which can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

B.) Any firearm which has a bayonet lug.

C.) Any firearm which has a threaded barrel.

D.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine in front, or outside of the pistol grip.

E.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine which can accept more than 15 rounds.

F.) Any semi-automatic shotgun with one or more of the following criteria; a pistol grip, a forward grip, a detachable magazine or a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

SECTION III: High Capacity Magazine Ban

A.) A large capacity ammunition feeding device is hereby classified as any device including a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, helical feeding device, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, that has an overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept rounds above the limits in Section 2 A, E and F.

C.) The above shall not apply to the possession of any large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed on or before the date of enactment of this Act.

Section IV

A.) This Act shall not apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed before the enactment of this act.

B.) This Act shall apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed for law enforcement.

C.) This Act shall not apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed for Military purposes.

Section V:

A.) The punishment for possessing or purchasing any assault weapon that is purchased or transferred between owners after the implementation date of this act on the 1st October 2020 shall be a fine of $3,000.

B.) The punishment for the sale or manufacturing of any assault weapon defined within Section 3 shall be a fine of $10,000.

C.) As outlined in Section IV these punishments shall not apply to the manufacture, purchase or sale of any assault weapon before the 1st October 2020.

D.) As outlined in Section IV these punishments shall not apply for the possession of any assault weapon that the owner legally possessed before the 1st October 2020.

E.) An exemption shall be applied by the Attorney General for the manufacture of assault weapons defined within Section 3 providing said weapons are solely sold to the Atlasian Military.

F) There shall be no prison sentence imposed for the possession, manufacturing, purchasing or sale of any assault weapon.

SECTION VI: TIMING

1. This bill shall take effect after the 1st October 2020.
House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 5-4-1-0

Atlasian Regional Senate
Passed 4-3 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled

People's House of Representatives (amended version)

As promised, here's the amended version. Looking forward to the final showdown and assorted rants.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 10:54:50 PM »

A final vote is now open on this bill. Congressmen, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 12:14:05 AM »

I object to this final vote. How do we go from a bill that was just posted to a final vote without debate?

If I have to vote, Nay. No way. No how. Out of my cold dead hands!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 03:37:49 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2020, 04:34:45 AM by President Pericles »

I object to this final vote. How do we go from a bill that was just posted to a final vote without debate?

This bill was passed by the House previously, so the rules state that this time it goes straight to a final vote.
4.) Whenever either house shall vote to pass a bill, order, or resolution that shall have originated in the other, having previously made amendment to the same, the President of the Congress shall immediately call the amended bill to a vote in the house in which it originated. If the original house should then vote to pass the amended bill, it shall proceed to the President; otherwise, the President of the Congress shall instruct the other house either to pass the bill as it stood prior to its amendment by that house, or else reject it entirely.
link

You can of course try to amend this rule. Personally, I think that would be unwise as it is hard enough to pass legislation as is.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 04:57:04 AM »

Aye
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 04:21:14 PM »

Aye
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 04:27:34 PM »

Aye.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 06:07:17 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2020, 07:50:05 PM by Leinad »

Abstain.

I'm glad it went to the Senate because they did make it better (yay it applies to cops!), and this isn't the "they're taking our guns" kinda bill some people are painting it to be, but I also (unfortunately) am of the position that it isn't a "gun violence is over forever now" bill, either.

edit: lol I didn't change my vote I just made a minor grammatical error and went back to fix it
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 11:03:46 PM »

Aye. Please raise your cold, dead hands if you'd like to be counted!
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 01:01:14 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2020, 08:39:41 PM by Representative Encke »

Since this seems likely to pass, perhaps a few years down the line, we can take a look at the data and see if this policy has actually played a role in decreasing gun violence, right?. Oh wait, we already have data on this from the '94 ban. Newsflash: it didn't work.

NAY
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 08:16:43 PM »

This bill was passed by the House previously, so the rules state that this time it goes straight to a final vote.
4.) Whenever either house shall vote to pass a bill, order, or resolution that shall have originated in the other, having previously made amendment to the same, the President of the Congress shall immediately call the amended bill to a vote in the house in which it originated. If the original house should then vote to pass the amended bill, it shall proceed to the President; otherwise, the President of the Congress shall instruct the other house either to pass the bill as it stood prior to its amendment by that house, or else reject it entirely.
link

You can of course try to amend this rule. Personally, I think that would be unwise as it is hard enough to pass legislation as is.

At the very least I think it would be fair to allow at least 24 hours for reading the amended bill and input/debate from members, even if no new amendments can be introduced.  I plan to introduce an amendment to the Senate rules to that effect later this evening.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 08:35:33 PM »

link

At the very least I think it would be fair to allow at least 24 hours for reading the amended bill and input/debate from members, even if no new amendments can be introduced.  I plan to introduce an amendment to the Senate rules to that effect later this evening.

Doesn't the 72 hour voting period already serve that purpose? People can of course change their votes too, so I don't see how adding another day makes much difference.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 08:44:54 PM »

link

Doesn't the 72 hour voting period already serve that purpose? People can of course change their votes too, so I don't see how adding another day makes much difference.

No, because opening final votes without allowing any time for debate gives people less time to read the bill and consider it on its merits.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 04:38:04 AM »

this has now passed has it not?
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 07:34:41 PM »

Bill's passed on a 4-2-1-2 vote. It is as such sent to the President for his signature.

Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act

SECTION I: Name and Intent

A.) This bill may be cited as the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act.

Section II: Criteria

1.) There shall be a nationwide ban on the purchasing, manufacturing, sale, or possession of assault weapons. The criteria laid out in Section 3A to shall be used to classify assault weapons.

2.) The prohibition does not apply to a firearm that is (1) manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action; (2) permanently inoperable; (3) an antique; or (4) a rifle or shotgun specifically identified by make and model.

3.) Any of the following features shall classify a firearm as an 'Assault Weapon'.

A.) Any semi automatic rifle which has a High Capacity Magazine (see Section III) which can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

B.) Any firearm which has a bayonet lug.

C.) Any firearm which has a threaded barrel.

D.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine in front, or outside of the pistol grip.

E.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine which can accept more than 15 rounds.

F.) Any semi-automatic shotgun with one or more of the following criteria; a pistol grip, a forward grip, a detachable magazine or a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

SECTION III: High Capacity Magazine Ban

A.) A large capacity ammunition feeding device is hereby classified as any device including a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, helical feeding device, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, that has an overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept rounds above the limits in Section 2 A, E and F.

C.) The above shall not apply to the possession of any large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed on or before the date of enactment of this Act.

Section IV

A.) This Act shall not apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed before the enactment of this act.

B.) This Act shall apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed for law enforcement.

C.) This Act shall not apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed for Military purposes.

Section V:

A.) The punishment for possessing or purchasing any assault weapon that is purchased or transferred between owners after the implementation date of this act on the 1st October 2020 shall be a fine of $3,000.

B.) The punishment for the sale or manufacturing of any assault weapon defined within Section 3 shall be a fine of $10,000.

C.) As outlined in Section IV these punishments shall not apply to the manufacture, purchase or sale of any assault weapon before the 1st October 2020.

D.) As outlined in Section IV these punishments shall not apply for the possession of any assault weapon that the owner legally possessed before the 1st October 2020.

E.) An exemption shall be applied by the Attorney General for the manufacture of assault weapons defined within Section 3 providing said weapons are solely sold to the Atlasian Military.

F) There shall be no prison sentence imposed for the possession, manufacturing, purchasing or sale of any assault weapon.

SECTION VI: TIMING

1. This bill shall take effect after the 1st October 2020.
House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 5-4-1-0

Atlasian Regional Senate
Passed 4-3 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled

People's House of Representatives (amended version)
Passed 4-2-1-2 in the People's House of Representatives

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 08:52:16 PM »

Praise the Lord! Lives upon lives have been saved!!!!!!!!!!!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 01:52:46 AM »

Praise the Lord! Lives upon lives have been saved!!!!!!!!!!!

A sad day for Atlasia. The right to keep and bear arms has been infringed by the tyrannical government. Out of my cold dead hands!
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2020, 07:22:31 AM »

It's a shame to see so many uneducated elected officials pushing for policies that have proven to be ineffective.

But sure, cheer on a policy that does nothing to save lives.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies