S.20.1-17: I Am The One Who Knocks On Truman’s Door Amendment (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:07:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.1-17: I Am The One Who Knocks On Truman’s Door Amendment (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S.20.1-17: I Am The One Who Knocks On Truman’s Door Amendment (Tabled)  (Read 1470 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2020, 02:55:32 AM »
« edited: April 17, 2020, 08:35:11 PM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

AN AMENDMENT
to acknowledge and codify the true borders of the Southern Region

Section 1 (Title)
The title of this Amendment shall be, the "I Am The One Who Knocks On Truman’s Door Amendment." It may be alternatively cited by its ordinal number in order of ratification.

Section 2 (Amendment)
i. Article I, section I of the Constitution of the Southern Region is amended to read as follows:
The South and the Constitution thereof shall be representative of the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and the District of Columbia.

Sponsor: MB (citizens slot)
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 03:09:17 PM »

Given the failure of the federal bill, this seems to be a moot point.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 04:20:02 PM »

Now we know MB stands for "Marcus Brutus!"
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 06:07:18 PM »

New Mexico is non-slaveholding territory like Kansas, the Southern aggressors simply want to expand their axis of evil. Sad!
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 06:22:25 PM »

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 06:23:47 PM »

The man who tried to save the REPUBLIC from a Dictator? Gee I can see why you wouldn't like him. Wink

New Mexico is non-slaveholding territory like Kansas, the Southern aggressors simply want to expand their axis of evil. Sad!

Interesting that slavery is not government policy anywhere in Atlasia and is a long dead institution that no one is advocating for. But don't let facts get in the way of peddling a false racist narrative. Also all this land grabbing was started by the Commie-wealth of Fremont, by the unanimous vote by your "parliament". If anyone is the aggressor here it is so obvious that it's Western Imperialism of the Fremontese. Blind Freddie can see this. This has all started from ASV and your First Minister, "Herr Lebensraum" himself, Harry 'I Want Kansas' Truman. Maybe you should reckon with the actions of your own legislature and executive first rather than b!tch and moan over a tit for tat response from another legislature due to your imperialist policies.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 07:14:33 PM »

AN AMENDMENT

Section 1 (Title)
The title of this Amendment shall be, the "I Am The One Who Knocks On Truman’s Door Amendment." It may be alternatively cited by its ordinal number in order of ratification.

Section 2 (Amendment)
i. Article I, section I of the Constitution of the Southern Region is amended to read as follows:

The South and the Constitution thereof shall be representative of the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and the District of Columbia.

I cannot support this bill in current form,

It does not include Arizona.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 07:15:51 PM »

AN AMENDMENT

Section 1 (Title)

Section 2 (Amendment)

I cannot support this bill in current form,

It does not include Arizona.
feel free to put forth an amendment to that effect.
I will not object.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 07:22:48 PM »

proposed amendment:

AN AMENDMENT

Section 1 (Title)

Section 2 (Amendment)
The South and the Constitution thereof shall be representative of the states of Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and the District of Columbia.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 07:23:01 PM »

no objection.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 07:39:31 PM »

Hold on here, our amendment only exerted claim over one state. You're claiming TWO!?!

While the Commonwealth may have initiated this crisis, you Nashville imperalists are escalating it greatly to two states with virtually no Southern connection besides the illegitimate occupation of 1861-1865. Denver WILL consider retaliation if you go through with this.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 07:46:49 PM »

Reminder that I do not mark myself as likely to vote for the final bill. The threat of Fremont irrendetism has passed for the time being. However my collegues have had considerable unhappyness with Fremont doing what it has done, so I will not stand in the way of anything they will see as appropriate payback. I do not like the idea of escalation, but I understand the importance this matter is to the Chamber and to the citizens of the South.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 07:59:54 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2020, 08:16:46 PM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

I would say though that if this amendment passes, as a citizen, when it goes to referendum, I would be inclined to vote yes on it (and be a very solid yes at that) if it just has NM, and a very firm nay if it goes any further. One state is good enough to send a message. And I don't want a verbal shooting war with Fremont if that can be avoided.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 08:22:21 PM »

I've been asked to chime in so I guess I will.

This dispute over territory is the most boring (and distracting) Atlasia "controversy" in recent memory.  It is unhelpful and counterproductive when regions amend their constitution's preamble to defy federal law just to make a statement, which only serves to confuse people in the end.  I voted against the federal amendment in the Senate to absorb Kansas into Frémont.  The amendment that my Commonwealth passed is just as pointless and unenforceable as this one would be.

If the South wishes to sue Frémont for frivolously claiming Kansas, they are free to do so.  A win in court is guaranteed given the obvious discrepancy between federal law and regional.  Making regional constitutions more confusing doesn't accomplish anything but wasted time.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 08:27:00 PM »

I am finding myself increasingly doubtful as to the merits of this amendment altogether.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2020, 08:39:03 PM »

Hold on here, our amendment only exerted claim over one state. You're claiming TWO!?!

While the Commonwealth may have initiated this crisis, you Nashville imperalists are escalating it greatly to two states with virtually no Southern connection besides the illegitimate occupation of 1861-1865. Denver WILL consider retaliation if you go through with this.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2020, 09:44:47 PM »

This bill should be tabled, there is no logical argument for putting New Mexico or Arizona in the South
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2020, 09:59:58 PM »

This bill should be tabled, there is no logical argument for putting New Mexico or Arizona in the South

Image Source
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2020, 10:19:16 PM »

Image Source

That's nice, reported.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2020, 10:23:21 PM »

Cool story, bro.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2020, 10:26:30 PM »

Source: Discord
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2020, 10:44:28 PM »

I've been asked to chime in so I guess I will.

This dispute over territory is the most boring (and distracting) Atlasia "controversy" in recent memory.  It is unhelpful and counterproductive when regions amend their constitution's preamble to defy federal law just to make a statement, which only serves to confuse people in the end.  I voted against the federal amendment in the Senate to absorb Kansas into Frémont.  The amendment that my Commonwealth passed is just as pointless and unenforceable as this one would be.

If the South wishes to sue Frémont for frivolously claiming Kansas, they are free to do so.  A win in court is guaranteed given the obvious discrepancy between federal law and regional.  Making regional constitutions more confusing doesn't accomplish anything but wasted time.
I thank Scott for being pragmatic and reasonable, and while I thank leaders of the South for standing strong with Kansas, I don't think this is the way to go. Fremont may have some bad elected officials that continue to struggle and lose focus, but The People of Fremont are good. New Mexico is in Fremont, Kansas in the South. This was decided by the ConCon and the reasonings for both were justified. That is how it should stay.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2020, 10:49:29 PM »

I very quickly had come to my senses and come to realize this is a problematic bill. I thank Scott for making that clear to me.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2020, 07:43:21 AM »

I will veto this bill if it comes to my desk, though I encourage the Chamber to table it. I agree with Muaddib, Scott, tmth, and Tim. The Southern region did not begin this 'flame war' but we should not exacerbate it.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2020, 09:55:35 AM »

Motion to table immediately
Pages: [1] 2