MT Congressional Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:13:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  MT Congressional Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]
Poll
Question: Will Republicans safely hold 2 Montana seats?
Yes - Leftier district will be at least Likely R

No - Western district will be Lean R at worst for Dems

Montana will not actually gain a second seat

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: MT Congressional Redistricting  (Read 22471 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: March 01, 2022, 12:06:06 PM »

Anyone know what happened to Montana's legislative districts?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #301 on: March 30, 2022, 04:54:51 PM »

Again from what I can tell new legislative districts have not passed, is there any reason why it is taking this long?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #302 on: March 30, 2022, 07:34:22 PM »

Again from what I can tell new legislative districts have not passed, is there any reason why it is taking this long?
If I knew, I'd tell you.
Perhaps there's infighting in the local GOP? That's my best guess in the abstract.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #303 on: June 01, 2022, 04:22:54 PM »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/yeargain/status/1532026268287385601[/tweet

Ah finally its explained.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #304 on: June 01, 2022, 05:12:35 PM »

Ah finally its explained.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #305 on: December 03, 2022, 06:29:11 PM »

https://twitter.com/RedistrictNet/status/1598543160921280514?cxt=HHwWhMC-jaKila8sAAAA

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::e89899d3-fc18-4e5b-99a6-9e77d1ac9211

Montana legislative maps just came out, should remove the GOP supermajorities they just picked up. 57 Trump 43 Biden seats.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #306 on: December 03, 2022, 07:31:28 PM »

Wtf happened? Did the tiebreaker have to choose between a D and an R gerrymander? That seems like some very aggressive cracking of Missoula and Bozeman to squeeze out a bunch of D-leaning seats. Gives me vibes of the MI State House map on steroids.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #307 on: December 03, 2022, 07:39:26 PM »

Wtf happened? Did the tiebreaker have to choose between a D and an R gerrymander? That seems like some very aggressive cracking of Missoula and Bozeman to squeeze out a bunch of D-leaning seats. Gives me vibes of the MI State House map on steroids.

Given downballot results in Western MT, Democrats could plausibly control a chamber after a wave.  Wow!

Continues the theme of Democrats generally getting better legislative maps and Republicans generally getting better congressional maps from officially neutral processes.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #308 on: December 03, 2022, 07:42:42 PM »

Given downballot results in Western MT, Democrats could plausibly control a chamber after a wave.  Wow!

Continues the theme of Democrats generally getting better legislative maps and Republicans generally getting better congressional maps from officially neutral processes.

But this feels like a pretty clear gerrymander; Dems are very purposefully unpacked. It wasn't like they just got lucky with key decisions in some key seats.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #309 on: December 03, 2022, 07:49:13 PM »

But this feels like a pretty clear gerrymander; Dems are very purposefully unpacked. It wasn't like they just got lucky with key decisions in some key seats.

FWIW for the congressional maps, both parties presented drafts to the tiebreaker, she gave feedback which they could incorporate into a final map, and then she made a binding choice between the final maps.  For congress, she chose the Republican map because they were willing to give more ground by proposing a Trump +7 all-Western MT seat in line with state traditions instead of going for an ahistorical north/south split that would have made both districts equally R.  Democrats insisted on splitting more counties than necessary to keep Bozeman, Missoula, and Helena together in a seat Trump barely won. 

I presume the tiebreaker must have picked the Dem map for the legislature. 

It is worth noting that R's can unilaterally put constitutional amendments on the ballot with a 2/3rds majority.  I suppose they could try to abolish the commission and take mapping power back, but I highly doubt it would pass.  Since these are legislative maps, any SCOTUS ruling in the NC ISL case would be irrelevant.
Epaminondas

« Reply #310 on: December 14, 2022, 05:55:38 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2022, 04:23:20 PM by Epaminondas »

Will the Repubs actually let this pro-Dem map stand without any rat-f*ery like everywhere else?
That would be a pleasant surprise.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #311 on: December 14, 2022, 09:19:06 AM »

It's definitely a D gerrymander - Those lines in Bozeman aren't natural at all.  Also they split Whitefish in two when it fits in one district fine.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #312 on: December 14, 2022, 11:18:02 PM »

FWIW for the congressional maps, both parties presented drafts to the tiebreaker, she gave feedback which they could incorporate into a final map, and then she made a binding choice between the final maps.  For congress, she chose the Republican map because they were willing to give more ground by proposing a Trump +7 all-Western MT seat in line with state traditions instead of going for an ahistorical north/south split that would have made both districts equally R.  Democrats insisted on splitting more counties than necessary to keep Bozeman, Missoula, and Helena together in a seat Trump barely won. 

I presume the tiebreaker must have picked the Dem map for the legislature. 

It is worth noting that R's can unilaterally put constitutional amendments on the ballot with a 2/3rds majority.  I suppose they could try to abolish the commission and take mapping power back, but I highly doubt it would pass.  Since these are legislative maps, any SCOTUS ruling in the NC ISL case would be irrelevant.
What looks like the likeliest seat #51 for Democrats, in your view?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies