COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 01:08:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 116472 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: April 14, 2020, 09:31:56 PM »

I didn’t read the article but this stuff is stupid. Of course policymakers need to run cost benefit analysis
 Sorry the world is brutal kid....

Have any of our policymakers actually run this cost benefit analysis?  If so, why haven’t we seen it?
super6646
Canada

« Reply #1526 on: April 14, 2020, 09:36:49 PM »

www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-52289056

Can’t say trump has done a lot of right over the last few years, but this is an obvious move to make until the fire the head of the WHO.

Hopefully we see some major sanctions towards the ppc in the future.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1527 on: April 14, 2020, 09:38:33 PM »

I didn’t read the article but this stuff is stupid. Of course policymakers need to run cost benefit analysis
 Sorry the world is brutal kid....
I'm sure your 60+ year old family members will understand why you are advocating for them being fed to the rancor economy.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1528 on: April 14, 2020, 09:40:01 PM »

The economy won’t magically do better as long as the virus is still wreaking havoc. People will be scared to go out, thousands every day would die which would demoralize the public to the brink of collapse, and mass strikes/civil disobedience would occur against corporations forcing people to unnecessarily put themselves at risk.
Give it until April 30th to even begin looking into reopening.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1529 on: April 14, 2020, 09:41:37 PM »

It’s reactions like this as to why there are downplayers of climate change. Prediction after prediction wrong. It’s hard to make sensible policy decisions when models continue to be wrong.

This is partially true, but one also has to consider that climate change is a much more gradual and less visible process than this pandemic has been-at least in terms of its direct effects on society and on individual livelihoods. People will not change their views about climate change until they begin to personally experience its effects.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1530 on: April 14, 2020, 09:52:22 PM »

The economy won’t magically do better as long as the virus is still wreaking havoc. People will be scared to go out, thousands every day would die which would demoralize the public to the brink of collapse, and mass strikes/civil disobedience would occur against corporations forcing people to unnecessarily put themselves at risk.

People are not scared because of the virus. People are scared because of the media. This is absolutely ridiculous.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1531 on: April 14, 2020, 09:53:50 PM »

People are not scared because of the virus. People are scared because of the media. This is absolutely ridiculous.
You are fake news.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1532 on: April 14, 2020, 09:54:53 PM »

The GOP doesn't realize that letting the economy crater will only increase coronavirus-related deaths due to government being overwhelmed.
The Democratic party doesn't realize that letting the economy crater will only increase coronavirus-related deaths due to government being overwhelmed.
Thank you partisan polarization.

Nice to see you're becoming another bronz...your both sideism is getting old
Unlike you I'm not letting my political sympathies determine how I perceive Corona. I'm thinking for myself.

K keep telling yourself that, if you want to be idiotic go somewhere else.
There's no use in keeping this back-and-forth up, I wouldn't want to burden the mods. Just going to wish you luck on your recovery from COVID-19. Have a nice day, and please do consider what what economists have been saying would happen in a severe economic contraction.

I mean you want to start with me then run away so don't play this game with me stop being a chickensh!t
If I intended to start some sort of game of chicken then I would have left some loose threads in that post. Instead I wrapped things up in the most polite and respectful way possible. That was intended to be my final message to you in this conversation. Now THIS is going to be my final post in said conversation. Thank you for your time and sayonara.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1533 on: April 14, 2020, 10:01:43 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2020, 10:04:54 PM by Forumlurker »

Lol.
People are definitely scared of the virus.
Anyone sane who wants to live a long and healthy life is probably at least worried about it a bit, whether for themselves or for their loved ones.
Even if we accept your flawed premise, what makes you think the “big bad media” is going to stop reporting on the crisis if Trump forces things to reopen?
 (which is their f**king job)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1534 on: April 14, 2020, 10:02:24 PM »

The GOP doesn't realize that letting the economy crater will only increase coronavirus-related deaths due to government being overwhelmed.
The Democratic party doesn't realize that letting the economy crater will only increase coronavirus-related deaths due to government being overwhelmed.
Thank you partisan polarization.

Nice to see you're becoming another bronz...your both sideism is getting old
Unlike you I'm not letting my political sympathies determine how I perceive Corona. I'm thinking for myself.

K keep telling yourself that, if you want to be idiotic go somewhere else.
There's no use in keeping this back-and-forth up, I wouldn't want to burden the mods. Just going to wish you luck on your recovery from COVID-19. Have a nice day, and please do consider what what economists have been saying would happen in a severe economic contraction.

I mean you want to start with me then run away so don't play this game with me stop being a chickensh!t
If I intended to start some sort of game of chicken then I would have left some loose threads in that post. Instead I wrapped things up in the most polite and respectful way possible. That was intended to be my final message to you in this conversation. Now THIS is going to be my final post in said conversation. Thank you for your time and sayonara.

God you're so condescending
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1535 on: April 14, 2020, 10:15:28 PM »

Of course his first name is "Trey".

Fun fact Trey Hollingsworth carpetbagged into Indiana and basically bought the seat.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1536 on: April 14, 2020, 10:16:48 PM »

Can’t say trump has done a lot of right over the last few years, but this is an obvious move to make until the fire the head of the WHO.

Not a chance. The trade negotiations with Beijing are very telling, imo. He has no talent for this sort of thing.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1537 on: April 14, 2020, 10:26:47 PM »

Not a chance. The trade negotiations with Beijing are very telling, imo. He has no talent for this sort of thing.

but muh art of the deal
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1538 on: April 14, 2020, 10:37:03 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2020, 11:10:46 PM by lfromnj »

Any politician that acts like this is no big deal, things we should put money over lives, and wants to act in policy based on this, should volunteer if they're so confident to become infected with the virus. Otherwise they need to shut the hell up with this garbage.

Not speaking about coronavirus in specific but its absurd to believe that a human life's value is infinite in the context of government policy,(obviously no the government shouldn't be rounding up people to kill them) anyway if the economists say that opening the economy would only hurt it, lets it keep it closed it closed, but if that wasn't the case I would say a few hundred to thousand extra elderly people dead is a valid discussion to have in exchange for saving the youngest generation from a brutal recession.

One of the cases I am tracking is Sweden , if they do manage to avoid the healthcare collapse even if more people die in the short term it may have been a worthy sacrifice to let most stuff stay open.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1539 on: April 14, 2020, 10:43:23 PM »

I would say a few hundred to thousand extra elderly people dead is a valid discussion to have in exchange for saving the youngest generation from a brutal recession.
America is the richest country that's ever existed in the history of the planet and human race. They can survive a recession without dropping live citizens into the open jaws of the wealth gods. You're advocating for exact opposite of heroism. Humans aren't spread sheet numbers.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1540 on: April 14, 2020, 10:49:30 PM »

Any politician that acts like this is no big deal, things we should put money over lives, and wants to act in policy based on this, should volunteer if they're so confident to become infected with the virus. Otherwise they need to shut the hell up with this garbage.

Not speaking about coronavirus in specific but its absurd to believe that a human life's value is infinite in the context of government policy, anyway if the economists say that opening the economy would only hurt it, lets it keep it closed it closed, but if that wasn't the case I would say a few hundred to thousand extra elderly people dead is a valid discussion to have in exchange for saving the youngest generation from a brutal recession.

One of the cases I am tracking is Sweden , if they do manage to avoid the healthcare collapse even if more people die in the short term it may have been a worthy sacrifice to let most stuff stay open.
I don’t know if we can accurately compare the US to Sweden. Culturally they are seem more likely to follow government orders than Americans. Obviously it still would be good to look at Sweden as it’s our best comparison, but keep in mind they aren’t completely comparable.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1541 on: April 14, 2020, 10:51:56 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2020, 10:55:21 PM by Forumlurker »

I would say a few hundred to thousand extra elderly people dead is a valid discussion to have in exchange for saving the youngest generation from a brutal recession.
America is the richest country that's ever existed in the history of the planet and human race. They can survive a recession without dropping live citizens into the open jaws of the wealth gods. You're advocating for exact opposite of heroism. Humans aren't spread sheet numbers.
I mean, at some point, we do have to ask ourselves the value of a human life if this virus doesn’t diminish by Mid-May/June, but to say the lockdowns were not worth it seems far-fetched right now.

Also if we reopen now, it will likely be more like hundreds of thousands of dead elderly people and thousands of young people.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #1542 on: April 14, 2020, 10:52:57 PM »

You’re probably right unfortunately.

If it were up to be, I’d be doing my best to cripple the Chinese rn for what they has unleashed onto the west.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1543 on: April 14, 2020, 10:54:29 PM »

I mean, at some point, we do have to ask ourselves the value of a human life if this virus doesn’t diminish by Mid-May/June, but to say the lockdowns were not worth it seems far-fetched right now.
Fortunately for us, almost all signs are pointing to the threat depleting by June, mid-June at the latest.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1544 on: April 14, 2020, 10:58:45 PM »

Another grim milestone has been reached.  The number of US deaths has now exceeded the number of lies Donald Trump has told since taking office.  Sad
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1545 on: April 14, 2020, 10:59:28 PM »

We spent trillions of dollars fighting a war that stemmed from 9/11. We did that because we "never again" wanted to lose 3,000 lives in a terrorist attack. We could have kept the money for tax cuts, infrastructure, whatever you want; and lived with the possibility that another big terrorist attack could happen. But basically everyone supported going to war. So how is this different? Because the people dying will mostly be old? Because we won't lose any buildings? Because we weren't shocked to our core in an instant? Or because you're worried it will be a lot more than 2 trillion lost? Something's different.

We've already eclipsed the 9/11 death toll by a factor of 8!
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1546 on: April 14, 2020, 11:57:03 PM »

We spent trillions of dollars fighting a war that stemmed from 9/11. We did that because we "never again" wanted to lose 3,000 lives in a terrorist attack. We could have kept the money for tax cuts, infrastructure, whatever you want; and lived with the possibility that another big terrorist attack could happen. But basically everyone supported going to war. So how is this different? Because the people dying will mostly be old? Because we won't lose any buildings? Because we weren't shocked to our core in an instant? Or because you're worried it will be a lot more than 2 trillion lost? Something's different.

The coronavirus isn't brown skinned, arab or muslim though, so it's harder to justify to the American people wasting money waging war against it.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1547 on: April 15, 2020, 12:13:08 AM »

Ehhh, its different....that money was mostly corporate welfare checks to companies like Boeing and Raytheon that was going to be spent by a Republicans anyway, 9/11 or not.  The political conveniences of 9/11 just made the stream of funding larger and more certain. 

People actually got richer off the 9/11 defense spending.  Millions of American jobs are directly supported by the "Military-Industrial Complex".  Who's getting richer off the COVID response?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1548 on: April 15, 2020, 12:27:02 AM »

People actually got richer off the 9/11 defense spending.  Millions of American jobs are directly supported by the "Military-Industrial Complex".  Who's getting richer off the COVID response?
The coronavirus stimulus had over a trillion dollars in corporate bailouts.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1549 on: April 15, 2020, 12:28:58 AM »

People actually got richer off the 9/11 defense spending.  Millions of American jobs are directly supported by the "Military-Industrial Complex".  Who's getting richer off the COVID response?
The coronavirus stimulus had over a trillion dollars in corporate bailouts.
And this is making them richer?  Their situation is more analogous to the airlines after 9/11.  They're getting this money simply to keep their heads above water.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies