COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:55:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 116511 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1775 on: April 16, 2020, 12:41:49 PM »

Let's be real, Whitmer isn't being attacked because of her coronavirus policies (which are completely reasonable), she's being attacked because she's a rising star in the Democratic Party and she pisses off Trump.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1776 on: April 16, 2020, 12:43:13 PM »

April 15
Grassr00ts State Progress map
Based on state trend in new cases per day

-Cases strongly decreasing (50% green) 6 states
-Cases starting to decrease (30% green) 13 states
-Cases peaking out (30% yellow) 25 states
-Cases increasing but slowing (30% red) 4 states
-Cases increasing badly (50% red) 2 states

I'll be posting this every 3/4 days with new numbers.

You can also clearly point out the bad governors from the good ones on this map.

The people who were infected at Big Sky and Sun Valley flew back to their home states, and so Idaho and Montana were better able to contain outbreak to Blaine and Gallatin counties.

States like New York, Louisiana, and Washington are barely able to test people in hospitals, while those in other states have begun testing more of the general population. Only 1/40 (2.5%) of tests are positive in Hawaii. Almost 50% are in New Jersey.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1777 on: April 16, 2020, 12:45:38 PM »

Oh no, time to back off quarantine orders, Republican donors are bankrolling astroturf campai.... - Wait, I mean, legitimate grassroots protests against big gubmint!

Gretchen Whitmer who looks like a ghoul...

Was attacking her appearance really necessary?

He is a Republican, so yeah.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1778 on: April 16, 2020, 12:50:16 PM »

Dr Oz has always been a quack and this has just solidified it

I want to go back to school so whatever.
Not disagreeing with you on the sentiment, but it’s kinda funny how back in 2019, most kids/teens wouldn’t be caught dead saying something like that. Heck, just a few weeks before my school district closed for this, classmates were praying for a snow day. I wonder how that will change after this all finishes.

Honestly me, too. I only have three weeks left in my semester. But I know it’s not going to happen at this point.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1779 on: April 16, 2020, 12:50:56 PM »

Oh no, time to back off quarantine orders, Republican donors are bankrolling astroturf campai.... - Wait, I mean, legitimate grassroots protests against big gubmint!

You're right. I have edited my post. How about deleting yours, and responding to the substance of my comments of Whitmer's order.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1780 on: April 16, 2020, 01:00:11 PM »

Let's be real, Whitmer isn't being attacked because of her coronavirus policies (which are completely reasonable), she's being attacked because she's a rising star in the Democratic Party and she pisses off Trump.
You can't go to your residence in another part of Michigan, but people from Chicago can drive up to the western shore of Lake Michigan if Pritzker permits them?

You can use a boat, but not if it has a motor. Do you know how much canoodling can spread Covid-19?

You can't buy lawn care equipment. You can't buy house paint.

She probably has banned the sale of cake.

Maybe the paleness of her skin is due to her never going outside. Stay at home is normal for her.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1781 on: April 16, 2020, 01:03:26 PM »

He is a Republican, so yeah.

Well I'm a republican and I think she's hot.
Begone Coomer

Anyway...
UPDATE 1-Fed's Bostic: Small business may need up to $500 bln monthly in support through crisis

That “baseline” figure derived from staff analysis, he said, would be a starting point for discussions about how to expand a $350 billion small business lending program that was exhausted in about two weeks.

“Using that as a benchmark might give us some guidance. ... It would not be good to lose them,” Bostic said of the country’s millions of businesses with fewer than 500 employees.

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1782 on: April 16, 2020, 01:14:05 PM »

Maybe the paleness of her skin is due to her never going outside. Stay at home is normal for her.

Dude, you know that you *can* make an argument without going after her appearance, right?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1783 on: April 16, 2020, 01:15:19 PM »

Why did Worldometers count those 3,778 old cases from New York on BOTH April 14 and 15?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1784 on: April 16, 2020, 01:15:32 PM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1785 on: April 16, 2020, 01:36:28 PM »

Midwest Governors Announce Partnership to Reopen Regional Economy

- Illinois
- Indiana
- Kentucky
- Michigan
- Minnesota
- Ohio
- Wisconsin

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1786 on: April 16, 2020, 01:49:43 PM »

Why did Worldometers count those 3,778 old cases from New York on BOTH April 14 and 15?

This is why I run my own numbers.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #1787 on: April 16, 2020, 01:50:05 PM »

Gretchen Whitmer banned Michiganders from traveling to their upstate cottages, while permitting residents of other states to do so (if "permitted" to do so by their state). She banned use of motors on boats. She banned selling of lawn care equipment. She banned selling of house paint. Several sheriffs have said that they won't enforce her diktats.

Gee this got edited to take out the word ghoul. Hmmm I can’t put my finger on why Republicans struggle with women so much. 🤔🤔🤔
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1788 on: April 16, 2020, 01:51:41 PM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1789 on: April 16, 2020, 02:22:16 PM »

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1790 on: April 16, 2020, 02:32:26 PM »

Governor Evers just extended the stay-at-home order for the state of Wisconsin until May 26th. 
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1791 on: April 16, 2020, 02:33:27 PM »

Dr Oz has always been a quack and this has just solidified it

If you are thinking of a gradual reopening, I would think that opening at least primary schools are one of the first things that should happen.  

Education of children is probably the single most essential function of our society that is being neglected right now.  And lower grade school classroom present relatively little risk compared to most other forms of socialization.  

It’s not just that children are much less likely to develop serious complication from the virus.  Most importantly, these classrooms involve relative small groups of people interacting mostly only with other members of their small group on a very regular basis.  It’s much more like the next step up from interacting only with your family than going to a sporting event or concerts with thousands of strangers tightly packed together.  Even going to the grocery store seems much riskier to me.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1792 on: April 16, 2020, 02:42:12 PM »

- Illinois
- Indiana
- Kentucky
- Michigan
- Minnesota
- Ohio
- Wisconsin

They clearly are not on the same page, since Evers just extended the shutdown to May 26th, while DeWine is trying to open up on May 1. DeWine was doing so well, and now he's just doing Trump's dirty work once again. It's simply idiotic to open up such a big state again in 2 weeks, especially when Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and nearby states, are still not doing well.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1793 on: April 16, 2020, 03:00:53 PM »

Important data points here:

Sweeping testing of the entire crew of the coronavirus-stricken U.S. aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt may have revealed a clue about the pandemic: The majority of the positive cases so far are among sailors who are asymptomatic, officials say.
The Navy’s testing of the entire 4,800-member crew of the aircraft carrier - which is about 94% complete - was an extraordinary move in a headline-grabbing case that has already led to the firing of the carrier’s captain and the resignation of the Navy’s top civilian official.

Roughly 60 percent of the over 600 sailors who tested positive so far have not shown symptoms of COVID-19, the potentially lethal respiratory disease caused by the coronavirus, the Navy says. The service did not speculate about how many might later develop symptoms or remain asymptomatic.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-military-sympt-idUSKCN21Y2GB
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1794 on: April 16, 2020, 03:03:46 PM »

- Illinois
- Indiana
- Kentucky
- Michigan
- Minnesota
- Ohio
- Wisconsin

They clearly are not on the same page, since Evers just extended the shutdown to May 26th, while DeWine is trying to open up on May 1. DeWine was doing so well, and now he's just doing Trump's dirty work once again. It's simply idiotic to open up such a big state again in 2 weeks, especially when Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and nearby states, are still not doing well.

Its almost a last ditch gambit where the party elders are gambling the lives of perhaps hundreds of thousands of people and the health of tens of millions more in order to prove that tehlibz overreacted and that Trump is a good president.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1795 on: April 16, 2020, 03:07:53 PM »

- Illinois
- Indiana
- Kentucky
- Michigan
- Minnesota
- Ohio
- Wisconsin

Flattening the curve is not about keeping everyone locked inside forever. It's about making sure hospitals don't get overloaded like they have in Italy or NYC, and clearly DeWine's actions have flattened the curve in Ohio. He's also putting in specific rules about how things can open, and still isn't allowing big gatherings like concerts or sports games. Everyone else will need to open back up at some point, and Ohio can show us how it's done.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1796 on: April 16, 2020, 03:10:57 PM »

Dude, you know that you *can* make an argument without going after her appearance, right?
If you had seen the CNN interview you might have drawn the association between her banning of the selling of lawn care products and using boats with motors. You know how most people are not actually white, but sort of pink? She is white. It is not a healthy color.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1797 on: April 16, 2020, 03:13:52 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2020, 03:22:30 PM by Donald Trump’s Toupe »

People like to unjustly mock Trump for his Easter opening desire - that desire wasn’t a prediction, and in any case his estimate was much more sensible than the 12 to 18 month lockdowns from all the alarmists.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1798 on: April 16, 2020, 03:16:52 PM »

Perhaps the Mainstream Media should display a live count up to everyone who has survived the day: 7.8 billion people.

That wouldn’t be as lucrative, though.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1799 on: April 16, 2020, 03:17:32 PM »

- Illinois
- Indiana
- Kentucky
- Michigan
- Minnesota
- Ohio
- Wisconsin

Flattening the curve is not about keeping everyone locked inside forever. It's about making sure hospitals don't get overloaded like they have in Italy or NYC, and clearly DeWine's actions have flattened the curve in Ohio. He's also putting in specific rules about how things can open, and still isn't allowing big gatherings like concerts or sports games. Everyone else will need to open back up at some point, and Ohio can show us how it's done.

I actually agree; if I were a governor I wouldn't be considering opening things back up, but it seems like DeWine's contemplating doing so in a relatively restrained and cautious manner. And it needs to be remembered that Beshear, whose response has garnered universal praise, technically never imposed a lockdown.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies