COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:31:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 114285 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1250 on: April 12, 2020, 09:24:09 AM »

Strictly speaking, shouldn’t conservatives be the ones cautious about opening up the country and the liberals be the ones wanting to open the country more willingly?

Yes.

I don't personally know any liberals and leftists who want the lockdowns to continue.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1251 on: April 12, 2020, 09:52:14 AM »

Strictly speaking, shouldn’t conservatives be the ones cautious about opening up the country and the liberals be the ones wanting to open the country more willingly?

If we take the standard definitions of conservative and liberal, the two should be flipped on this issue.

Or we can look at the data objectively, instead of through a partisan or ideological lens?

You guys really want to score political points while thousands of Americans are dying on a daily basis?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1252 on: April 12, 2020, 10:05:19 AM »

Yes.

I don't personally know any liberals and leftists who want the lockdowns to continue.

I don't think anyone "wants" the lockdowns to continue. We'd all love for the country to open back up. But that's not realistic, or the logical thing to do right now
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1253 on: April 12, 2020, 10:09:25 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2020, 10:32:59 AM by Virginiá »

I'd love nothing more than for the lockdown to end, but I don't want a situation where we open society back up, infections/deaths start soaring again, and we end up having to close it down again anyway. That would be even more damaging to the economy and people's trust in how the crisis is being managed down to the local level.

You also have to consider that for the service sector of the economy, just because you officially "open" society doesn't mean people will start shopping / eating out again... This is doubly true if people resume getting sick at an exponential rate. Everyone will just continue staying away from non-essential places, and the economy will still be seriously damaged.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1254 on: April 12, 2020, 10:17:41 AM »

I don't think anyone "wants" the lockdowns to continue. We'd all love for the country to open back up. But that's not realistic, or the logical thing to do right now

South Korea, Sweden, Taiwan, Iceland...
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1255 on: April 12, 2020, 10:30:43 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2020, 10:33:54 AM by Ghost of Ruin »

If we take the standard definitions of conservative and liberal, the two should be flipped on this issue.

Or we can look at the data objectively, instead of through a partisan or ideological lens?

You guys really want to score political points while thousands of Americans are dying on a daily basis?

Looking at the data objectively is partisan. The Republicans reject data, because it incriminates them. I can't speak for anyone else, but I think it's important for the future to understand the reason this is as bad as it is rests firmly on the shoulders of one man and the political party that enabled his crimes and betrayal.

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1256 on: April 12, 2020, 10:51:02 AM »

Omega21

« Reply #1257 on: April 12, 2020, 10:52:28 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1258 on: April 12, 2020, 11:19:59 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1259 on: April 12, 2020, 11:24:56 AM »

jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1260 on: April 12, 2020, 11:25:50 AM »

I'd love nothing more than for the lockdown to end, but I don't want a situation where we open society back up, infections/deaths start soaring again, and we end up having to close it down again anyway. That would be even more damaging to the economy and people's trust in how the crisis is being managed down to the local level.

You also have to consider that for the service sector of the economy, just because you officially "open" society doesn't mean people will start shopping / eating out again... This is doubly true if people resume getting sick at an exponential rate. Everyone will just continue staying away from non-essential places, and the economy will still be seriously damaged.

I would guess June 30th would be a good target to open up the economy.

That is two and a half months from now and at that point any outbreak would be very localized and we could contain it locally. It is still one month because the enhanced unemployment ends and by mid to late June the economic argument will be able to outweigh the risks from the coronavirus.

I would hate for us to open up on May 1st and we suddenly have large spikes in outbreaks again.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1261 on: April 12, 2020, 11:56:40 AM »

I don't celebrate, but to all those who do: Happy Easter, y'all.

Please please stay home.  

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1262 on: April 12, 2020, 12:01:55 PM »

There would be no point to have had a quarantine in the first place if we open too soon. Then there is the point that quarantine failed. The objective of quarantine is to not get to the point where thd health care system is no longer seeing anyone new. Even if there's an outbreak but the hospitals stay open, it worked
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1263 on: April 12, 2020, 12:31:51 PM »

Why is literally everything a conspiracy theory to the Red Avatars?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1264 on: April 12, 2020, 12:47:58 PM »

If the lockdowns last too long, we won’t have sufficient herd immunity built up by fall to temper a potentially dangerous second wave.  Getting young, healthy people back into the economy is important for this reason.   

We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #1265 on: April 12, 2020, 12:47:58 PM »

Why do blue avatars live with their fingers stuck in their ears and their heads buried in the sand?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1266 on: April 12, 2020, 12:50:22 PM »

PPE with style: I saw someone grocery shopping wearing a full-body Easter Bunny suit. Smiley
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1267 on: April 12, 2020, 12:55:28 PM »

Why do blue avatars live with their fingers stuck in their ears and their heads buried in the sand?

Nice deflection.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1268 on: April 12, 2020, 12:58:33 PM »

A progressive relaxing of the rules into late May/early June probably makes sense if the models are too be believed. Re-opening places like hair salons or coffee shops but limiting the number of customers/employees could be a safe way to get some life back into the economy while letting people get back to normal life a bit. Larger gatherings at bars/sporting events would have to be delayed further, but if daily cases drop to near 0 in 6 weeks time, I think the above would be prudent.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1269 on: April 12, 2020, 01:03:17 PM »

Seems like some of them demanded elections be cancelled because people might stand too close and now claim that its actually the other side trying to cancel elections because something something Postal pensions?
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1270 on: April 12, 2020, 01:09:19 PM »

Seems like some of them demanded elections be cancelled because people might stand too close and now claim that its actually the other side trying to cancel elections because something something Postal pensions?

Do you know the difference between cancelling an election and postponing it?
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1271 on: April 12, 2020, 01:19:14 PM »

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1272 on: April 12, 2020, 01:30:56 PM »

Do you know the difference between cancelling an election and postponing it?

I know that failing to waive pension funding rules for the Post Office is neither.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1273 on: April 12, 2020, 01:34:23 PM »

Kansas’ high court rules for governor on religious services
The Kansas Supreme Court ruled Saturday that a Republican-dominated legislative panel exceeded its authority when it tried to overturn the Democratic governor’s executive order banning religious and funeral services of more than 10 people during the coronavirus pandemic.

The decision letting Gov. Laura Kelly’s order stand came after the justices heard oral arguments one day before Easter, which is typically the busiest day on the Christian calendar in terms of church attendance. The Saturday hearing was the court’s first conducted completely via video conferencing.

The court ruled that legislative action designed to give the legislative leadership panel the ability to overrule Kelly’s executive orders was flawed and didn’t legally accomplish that.

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1274 on: April 12, 2020, 02:21:16 PM »

PPE with style: I saw someone grocery shopping wearing a full-body Easter Bunny suit. Smiley

The mental image of the Easter Bunny standing in the cereal aisle, basket over his/her arm, and comparing the backs of two boxes of Raisin Bran is delightful.

"This one is cheaper but....I don't know, doctor says I gotta start cutting back on the sugar."
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies