Google using user data to track social distancing practices
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:20:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Google using user data to track social distancing practices
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you comfortable with this?
Yes

No

Not sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Google using user data to track social distancing practices  (Read 461 times)
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2020, 09:56:18 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/google-launches-social-distancing-tracking-site-using-location-data.html

Interesting development.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 10:02:51 PM »

I’d prefer a more user accountable organization to be in charge of this then Google.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 10:04:01 PM »

I’d prefer a more user accountable organization to be in charge of this then Google.

I'd guess only Google and Apple have the necessary data for this.

Another thought I had was: wouldn't this kind of app be, you know, pretty much a dream come true for someone trying to plan a terrorist attack?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 10:19:05 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Generally the way these systems work is to see pings on 2.4/5ghz. Basically, people voluntarily leaving their Wifi/Bluetooth on walk by, & the access point takes note of it & adds it to the DB. This led to a lot of pushback from consumers, so many phones now randomize their MAC address so that you can't so easily passively track the device individually over a long period of time. You may still see the radio & track the ping, but beyond that, unless the person has installed your app, you don't get much more than that.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 11:11:41 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Generally the way these systems work is to see pings on 2.4/5ghz. Basically, people voluntarily leaving their Wifi/Bluetooth on walk by, & the access point takes note of it & adds it to the DB. This led to a lot of pushback from consumers, so many phones now randomize their MAC address so that you can't so easily passively track the device individually over a long period of time. You may still see the radio & track the ping, but beyond that, unless the person has installed your app, you don't get much more than that.

Um, Google literally knows everywhere you've ever been. They're in everyone's phones.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 11:26:45 PM »

Um, Google literally knows everywhere you've ever been. They're in everyone's phones.

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 11:41:55 PM »

(Sorry if I misinterpret your meaning...)  You are free to be fine with that, but I'm not sure how you can rationalize mocking others for thinking it's creepy.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 11:50:03 PM »

(Sorry if I misinterpret your meaning...)  You are free to be fine with that, but I'm not sure how you can rationalize mocking others for thinking it's creepy.

I'm mocking them for not knowing the facts, mainly that Google (like I'd just said) intentionally obfuscates location data so it's impossible for any human other than you to see raw location history. Meanwhile, it's your cell carrier that already has the ability to provide your real-time location to law enforcement (at federal, state, & local levels) with no warrant through a web portal that has no checks or protections against abuse, so why bother with Google? It's not what they need to be worrying about.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 11:53:47 PM »

I should iterate that I’m not comfortable with any private firms being able to track my location like this.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 08:27:22 AM »

Everyone wants to pretend this is something sinister and not the evolution of fine-tuned public safety technology.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 09:07:44 AM »

I would much prefer Google to any other company in the World.

Probably trust them with my data better than any Government.

Google are the only company that does not send the fake mass emails from a CEO saying "we are in this together and there for you in this crisis".

Also, when managing my Google and Facebook advertising accounts, i cannot access the private details of anyone in Google who has looked at my ads. In Facebook however, i can almost see where they live.

Googles software for web analytics and search advertising is AAA+ grade.

Facebook/Instagram on the other hand gets a D-. The back end of the Facebook advertising platform is unbelievably poor in quality.

The two companies are like adults and teenagers.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies