Should the House move to a proportional representation (PR) system of election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:13:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the House move to a proportional representation (PR) system of election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the House move to a proportional representation (PR) system of election?
Yes, Open List PR

Yes, Closed List PR

Yes, Single Transferable Vote

Yes, Mixed-Member PR

No, the current plurality system is fine

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Should the House move to a proportional representation (PR) system of election?  (Read 2703 times)
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2020, 04:21:50 PM »

I'm currently writing a research/argumentative piece on this subject and would just like to see what the forum thinks.

If you are unfamiliar with some of these terms, FairVote has an excellent article detailing each:
https://www.fairvote.org/how_proportional_representation_elections_work
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 06:01:37 PM »

If we managed to overcome the inertia, vested interests, & corruption holding back reform here in the U.S., then yes, we should switch to a massively better system. I vote MMP so that people can keep their local representatives.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 06:08:48 PM »

I think that MM PR would help get some third parties in Congress.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 06:54:39 PM »

No, but states shouldn't draw districts and there should be some sort of runoff/ranked-choice mechanism. I've often thought it would be nice to apportion senate seats by population and have them be statewide PR, though. Not that any of this is realistic.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 03:17:04 AM »

Open-list PR in small constituencies (average magnitude of 5 seats, with a total number of seats increased to 1000) would be ideal for a country that's diverse both geographically and non-geographically like the US, yeah.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 11:47:36 AM »

I've already expressed my preference for top-two runoffs in seats where no one hits 50%. It works well for France and it's totally compatible with the current American style because it happens in parts of the US and people can intuitively understand it.

A combination of that with increasing the size of the House as Antonio mentioned would really improve the House.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 01:51:51 PM »

No, because having single-member FTP districts preserves some inherent geographic balance in the House.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 01:47:34 PM »

Don Beyer sponsored a bill to switch to single transferable vote PR. Also, California, Washington, and Louisiana do not use plurality voting.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 09:16:26 AM »

My feeling is PR would only make sense if the electoral college is abolished, and if the Senate stops being FPTP
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 02:29:36 PM »

I would prefer a proportional by state system, with lists determined in state party primaries + the option for independents to appear on the ballot and be elected if they reach threshold.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 10:55:02 PM »

No... but the current system is NOT fine. Other changes are needed.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 10:17:40 AM »

I think the idea of local areas being represented in congress has a lot of value, but its really hard to look at some of these ridiculous gerrymandered districts and think that these districts were actually drawn with local representation in mind. I certainly don't think a district that includes a portion of one city, a portion of another and a slither of rural communities in between constitutes a coherent local community that would send a representative to congress with a clear idea of the needs of their district.

I prefer 3-5 member districts and a huge increase in the number of representatives to atleast 1000, elected using ranked choice voting. It allows representation for political minorities in certain areas, a more representative electoral system and keeps a local link.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 11:45:50 PM »

I think the idea of local areas being represented in congress has a lot of value, but its really hard to look at some of these ridiculous gerrymandered districts and think that these districts were actually drawn with local representation in mind. I certainly don't think a district that includes a portion of one city, a portion of another and a slither of rural communities in between constitutes a coherent local community that would send a representative to congress with a clear idea of the needs of their district.

I prefer 3-5 member districts and a huge increase in the number of representatives to atleast 1000, elected using ranked choice voting. It allows representation for political minorities in certain areas, a more representative electoral system and keeps a local link.

This exactly.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 11:51:58 PM »

My feeling is PR would only make sense if the electoral college is abolished, and if the Senate stops being FPTP
Fine by me!
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 12:30:00 PM »

No, because having single-member FTP districts preserves some inherent geographic balance in the House.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 02:14:55 PM »

Only if we went to ranked choice voting for each individual CD, otherwise no.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2020, 04:01:11 PM »

Yes. Consolidate all the electoral districts into single, statewide districts, and award seats to parties based on proportional representation, on a closed list.

Create a single federal standard for casting, counting, tabulating, and certifying ballots.

Create a single federal standard for party registration and candidate nomination.
Please delete this account. :)
Rookie
Australia

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2020, 07:24:47 PM »

I'd say move states with only one district to statewide ranked-choice voting, and move all others to a statewide mixed-member proportional system.

If the house was uncapped, then I'd support moving all states to a single-district-per-state nonpartisan mixed-member proportional system.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies