What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:24:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 626479 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: November 06, 2007, 04:57:47 AM »

Mean Creek - Very low budget indie film (not even a million dollars in the budget) that was awesome. Basically a look at these kids in rural Oregon and how they react to their plan that goes horribly wrong. The kids are actually great actors (including Macaulay Culkin's little brother) and it's gripping till the end. The last sequence is one of those that leaves you staring at the credits for a few seconds afterwords before you get up/turn it off. 10/10

This is one of my favorite movies.

Wow, me and BRTD agree.

I've seen two films in the past two days - Eastern Promises and Oldboy; both rather original works from original directors. The former is David Cronenberg's most recent feature and shows himself getting further and further away from the old Cronenberg style (seen in films like Videodrome or The Fly) and into something which actually could be said to be influenced by Oriental films. Despite this it still has the traditional violence though not as stomach turning as before though a 2-on-1 fight in a public bath is one of the most notable visual sequences in the film. Though Personally I prefer the old Cronenberg; though the 'why?' is somewhat to difficult to explain - perhaps it's because the film's plot is lacking in something, though the performances are all good especially Viggo Mortenson in one of the lead roles is brilliantly enigmatic. Perhaps my slight dissapointment is due to in the end this story of Women trafficing and the Russian Mafia set in London seemed just a bit too familiar.

Oldboy on the other hand is both brilliant and bizarre - though both films are quite similiar, appealing more to the celebral than the heart they feel just a little numbing at times and it's no wonder the student responsible for the Virginia Tech massacre listed this as one of his favourites (he renacted scenes from the film in his "video manifesto".) with it's mix of total paranoia, moody mystery and sense of complete helplessness, it's lead villian being very Bondesque with his Perfect suits and elaborate Penthouse but unlike Bond is a true master manipulator as this is a classic case of a story where "all is not what it seems". This may not be good or bad depending on your POV and this is in a running line of Oriental films like Battle Royale whose purpose is obvious meaningless violence (though unlike that film at least it doesn't justify itself with an asinine political message.) This Korean film could never be made in the United States or at least make into a mainstream theatre but anyone with an interest in film should check this out , even though the editing is unusual for those used to Hollywood and can be difficult to follow. Recommended.

Oldboy is pretty good but I actually liked Lady Vengeance more. I guess I'm soft.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1076 on: November 06, 2007, 04:59:46 AM »

I saw American Gangster last weekend.  It was great; I always love Denzel Washington.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1077 on: November 06, 2007, 11:20:04 PM »

American Gangster.

Best. Film. Of. The. Year. The end.

really?  i thought it was almost completely unexceptional.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1078 on: November 10, 2007, 05:19:58 AM »

Lions for Lambs

I thought it was an alright film. I couldn't buy Tom Cruise as a Republican Senator though. Why would the people of Illinois vote for him? My mum kept on referring to me to Andrew Garfield's character in the film. She said in a sense, I'm wasted talent.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1079 on: November 10, 2007, 02:32:18 PM »

Lions for Lambs

I thought it was an alright film. I couldn't buy Tom Cruise as a Republican Senator though. Why would the people of Illinois vote for him? My mum kept on referring to me to Andrew Garfield's character in the film. She said in a sense, I'm wasted talent.

He was from Illinois? Dumb. Sure you can't exactly cast Tom Cruise as someone from Texas or the deep south, but why not somewhere like Indiana or Arizona?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1080 on: November 10, 2007, 05:34:26 PM »

Eastern Promises

An interesting piece of work. Heavy on violence from the get go. Deals with some depressing subjects. Nonetheless there's some dark humour there which I appreciated. I thought Viggo Mortenson was very good and the story holds up fairly well. Worth watching.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1081 on: November 10, 2007, 08:08:44 PM »

Lions for Lambs

i thought he the scenes of him and meryl were the only things in that film worth anything.  the war scenes were predictable and sappy and the college scenes felt like an afterschool special.  pretty bleh overall.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1082 on: November 11, 2007, 02:11:36 PM »

Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Not very impressive

Bee Movie

Solid, if more cliched than a Pixar would've been.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1083 on: November 11, 2007, 05:16:26 PM »

American Gangster was very good.  Denzel Washington and Russel Crowe didn't pull out anything too special or new but didn't matter, they played their characters damn well.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1084 on: November 11, 2007, 05:36:39 PM »

I saw American Gangster Friday night and Bee Movie Saturday night.  Very different movies to say the least.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1085 on: November 12, 2007, 12:48:37 AM »

I thought it was cool how American Gangster paradoxically got you to root for both Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe's characters.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1086 on: November 12, 2007, 02:21:10 AM »

Footloose
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #1087 on: November 12, 2007, 07:30:29 PM »

Lilya 4-Ever

Not the most depressing film I've ever seen, but close.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1088 on: November 12, 2007, 09:15:48 PM »

Garden State. I was worried I'd be unable to see Zach Braff as Andrew Largeman and just think "It's J.D. in a movie!", but that wasn't an issue at all. I knew the soundtrack would be amazing, but the plot was great as well. I'm all for the movies that are captiviating without a single explosion or murder.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1089 on: November 12, 2007, 10:00:54 PM »

Lars and the Real Girl

just a plain, simple good movie.  nothing extraordinary about it besides the performances, but it would have been ridiculous had it been treated almost any other way.

A-
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1090 on: November 12, 2007, 10:17:16 PM »

I want to see that so badly. I've discovered amazingly that it actually IS playing in Bismarck, ND, so if it still is in a week I can see it when I'm at home for Thanksgiving, instead of having to drive to the Twin Cities just to go to it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1091 on: November 13, 2007, 09:01:09 AM »

I want to see that so badly. I've discovered amazingly that it actually IS playing in Bismarck, ND, so if it still is in a week I can see it when I'm at home for Thanksgiving, instead of having to drive to the Twin Cities just to go to it.

Driving to teh city to catch a movie? Sounds very suburban...

And Michael, big kudos for watching a Swedish movie!!!?! Cheesy

Last movie I watched was Ratatouille. Solid, though not the best animated picture I've seen.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1092 on: November 13, 2007, 09:59:25 AM »

Ratatouille's the best movie I've seen this year.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1093 on: November 14, 2007, 02:54:47 AM »

The Dreamers.

The purpose of watching it was to see Eva Green naked, and in that case it definitely delivered. But it was a good story otherwise, even ignoring the fact that the ending made no sense.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1094 on: November 14, 2007, 03:33:40 AM »

Shrek the Third - not great, not terrible.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1095 on: November 14, 2007, 08:30:21 AM »

Quigley Down Under  <--- always a great movie
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1096 on: November 16, 2007, 12:09:46 AM »

Jackie Brown.

Eh, it was OK. I probably would've enjoyed it more if I didn't know it was by Tarantino, since it was more like a straightforward crime drama than a Tarantino film, and that's not what I was expecting.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1097 on: November 18, 2007, 02:14:27 PM »

American Gangster

Denzel put in what should be an Oscar worthy preformance. Brutal, calculating, gentlemanly, he did it all. Crowe was not all that impressive at all, some of the supporting cast (corrupt cop with big mustache) turned in good preformances. All in all, extremely watchable.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1098 on: November 18, 2007, 02:54:15 PM »

Decent creepy horror film. The box and marketing greatly overstated Samuel L. Jackson's role though (unsurprisingly)
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #1099 on: November 18, 2007, 03:32:07 PM »

Been a while since I saw one in theaters...that would be Michael Clayton last month.  Not counting theaters...I watched some horrible made-for-TV movie on TNT last night, and I rented Oklahoma! last weekend.

I'm looking forward to Sweeney Todd this winter.  I've never heard the music, but I've had two friends whose opinions I trust tell me it's Sondheim's best work (of course, they said the same about Into The Woods, which I've never been fond of)...and Johnny Depp starring in a Tim Burton movie!?!  That is truly sublime.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies