What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:15:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 630684 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: February 22, 2006, 02:13:42 AM »

Stroszek!  It was so good, and wonderfully anti-American.  I love Werner Herzog.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 07:27:47 PM »

Last two:
Thursday I saw:
Fitzcarraldo
A movie about a crazed opera-lover:

Who drags a steamboat over a mountain in 1890's Amazonia:

Friday I saw:
Innocence
A tale of prepubescent girls in a surreal boarding school.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 01:58:01 AM »

Frodo- Not only you are a hypocrite, you're a homophobe. 

And that right there is exactly the queer agenda. If you disagree with their position and where they stand. Start personally attacking them. Very petty.

How is it 'personally attacking' someone to say that they hate homosexuals when their position is that they hate homosexuals?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 12:37:35 AM »

They should count themselves fortunate that I am not already their enemy. 

Why?!  What have they ever done to earn your enmity? 

I'm sure your hatred comes not from them but from your intolerant culture, community, forbears, etc.  If only there were some way to feed you all to the lions.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 01:34:08 AM »

In keeping with my Werner Herzog theme of this visit to the Bad Place I added another to my list.  Alas, the Werner Herzog portion of my local  university film series has ended, and whilst going through withdrawal I came upon, unexpectedly, a showing of Incident at Loch Ness, a 2004 mockumentary.  Mildly funny, but not much there compared to his usual films.. of course it only starred Herzog, he did not direct.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 11:40:02 AM »

I just watched almost all of Brokeback Mountain on the plane on first leg of  my journey back to Thailand, but they turned off the entertainment as we were landing in Taipei.  I missed the last part.. damn!

Excellent movie up till that point.. now I really want to see the ending.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 08:03:54 AM »

Noo Hin!  I was on the bus to Pattaya and they showed it on the way - bootlegged DVD no doubt. 

Noo Hin is based on a popular cartoon series in Thailand that has been around for 30 years.  This movie is a very cute and hilarious story about an 'upcountry' girl from Isaan who goes to Bangkok to work in a factory and ends up as a maid for a wealth family full of beautiful daughters.  Noo Hin is very homely, hyperactive, and sometimes downright strange, but extremely plucky, and has an strange ability - when she is feeling happy, proud, or in love - of appearing incredibly beautiful.  Nice idea.  There are many such cartoonish aspects of the film, which has a really appealing surreal look.. similar in concept to Sin City mentioned above, though a very different kind of cartoon.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/journal_view.php?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 12:10:59 PM »

I finally saw V for Vendetta today - what a good film!  So deftly topical in today's fascistic political environment.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 11:46:15 AM »

I actually watched Shawshank Redemption for about the 8th time, but this time dubbed in Thai.  I guess you could say I'm working on my Thai a bit.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 12:52:57 AM »

No, actually, it's spelled "happyness" in the title.  It's a reference to the daycare the main character sends his son to in the movie.  To illustrate how poor the neighborhood is, the word "happiness" in their version of the Declaration of Independence was misspelled, but no one wants to bother to get it fixed.

The movie is based on a true story, in which this actually was the case.

Are you sure he didn't mean the film 'Happiness'?  That was a great movie - I'll never forget the part where Philip Seymour Hoffman comes on the wall.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 10:12:32 AM »

Watching right now - Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.

It is quite good.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 04:05:57 AM »

Just watched "Match Point", the Woody Allen movie, the other night - really enjoyed it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 02:35:31 PM »

Just watched "Match Point", the Woody Allen movie, the other night - really enjoyed it.

You just liked it that the main character got away with murder.
It is a very good movie, though.

Yes, and Yes!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 07:04:36 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2009, 07:07:19 PM by opebo »

In The Valley of Elah - a pretty good anti-war movie with Tommy Lee Jones.  Anyone seen it?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 11:10:59 AM »

In The Valley of Elah - a pretty good anti-war movie with Tommy Lee Jones.  Anyone seen it?

I liked it but I thought the message got a bit too blatant. Movies should be more subtle.

Well sure, it was just a hollywood movie, after all.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 07:26:53 PM »

Wow, that Stakeout sounds good.

Well I just saw that 'Star Trek' - I happened to be in bangkok and a 21 year old ex-student of mine took me to it.  And she paid!  It was an enjoyable movie, though obviously continuity and believability were not very well done.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »

Le Prix du Danger - excellent French film with fine leftist undertones and a tantalizing dash of Foucault.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 12:27:59 PM »

When French films are aired on TVs or cinema in US, are they dubbed most of the time or just subtitled?

I'm not sure.. I watched this one on that French channel they have on Thai cable.. French audio, English subtitles.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 05:15:33 AM »

I actually watched Dagon again last night, this time in Thai.  Love that film!  But weirdly enough every time I've seen it in the past it looked super-grainy and hard to see.. which seemed to suit it.  This time it was crystal clear..
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 03:43:44 PM »

I finally watched Superbad last night - wow, very good.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 05:41:54 PM »

I think its called The CSA - a Movie.  About the Confederate STates of America.  Good film, whatched it entirely on Youtube.  It is fascinating how similar the present is to the future confederacy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 12:39:49 PM »

Little Children.  I liked it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 04:19:56 PM »

Re-viewed The Graduate.  Man it is impressive how much better 1967 was than now!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 01:49:18 PM »

Re-viewed The Graduate.  Man it is impressive how much better 1967 was than now!

So true.

Everybody was smoking like chimneys, drinking nice hard highballs (mostly Martinis), and ing around.  Oh man, what's happened to us.  We're like that movie with the society of 40 year old virgins and Sylvester Stallone frozen.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 02:06:13 PM »

So true.

Everybody was smoking like chimneys, drinking nice hard highballs (mostly Martinis), and ing around.  Oh man, what's happened to us.  We're like that movie with the society of 40 year old virgins and Sylvester Stallone frozen.

Someone's watched Demolition Man lately eh?

Actually no, but its never far from my thoughts.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies