What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:52:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 194 195 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 631592 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4725 on: October 08, 2011, 10:49:40 PM »

The Ides of March

Very well acted and plotted movie, though people who pay as close attention to politics as us will be so irked by minor details. The thing that bugged me was the idea that George Clooney's character was basically an open agnostic and yet the frontrunner for the presidency.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4726 on: October 09, 2011, 12:01:40 AM »

Real Steel

I had some time to kill today and my friends wanted to see it based on the hilariously goofy trailer. It really is Rocky with giant robots. If that's all you're looking for, it'd be hard to imagine you being disappointed.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4727 on: October 09, 2011, 01:37:36 AM »

Moneyball = best picture of the year so far.  You could tell it was gunning in that category from the beginning as previews before the film were all Oscarbaits that no normal sports movie would get for trailers.

50/50.  Take Seth Rogen out and it's not a comedy.  Good date movie, especially if she's a JGL fangirl.

Didn't have time for Ides until next weekend.  I might take my nephew to Real Steel if I'm stuck with him for an afternoon soon.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4728 on: October 09, 2011, 01:45:42 AM »

Train Spotting  Shocked
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4729 on: October 10, 2011, 01:08:58 PM »

The Ides of March

Very well acted and plotted movie, though people who pay as close attention to politics as us will be so irked by minor details. The thing that bugged me was the idea that George Clooney's character was basically an open agnostic and yet the frontrunner for the presidency.

just saw it.  more thought provoking than the average flick.  the first 20 minutes had be write it all off as some bourgeois, white liberal fantasy, but that was precisely the point, to establish it and then to flip it on its head.

I have a lot of thoughts on it but feel unable to articulate it, perhaps because it is too soon.  two main terms are being shot out in my brain: "truth" and "consciousness". 

a key point to make is, the entire film is a bourgeois affair.  literally not one single line goes to somebody not very very much on the inside, except if we count the hotel worker who finds Evan Rachel dead.  and the main plot thread is resolved through interactions within this sphere: ie, they come together and decide who will be the next Dem. nominee, and presumably the next president, without the consent nor real influence of the mass electorate.

and the final scene, with Gosling about to be interviewed and asked, "how did it all go down", brings me to 'truth'.  the truth, for the masses, is unattainable.  it is hidden behind the silk curtains of the House atop the Hill.  the ruling sphere resolves its differences, determines its narrative, and then this gets parroted to the inconsequential Rest as a 'Truth'.

all my disparate thoughts.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4730 on: October 10, 2011, 01:10:47 PM »

Not actually a film about middle-aged men in anoraks with an interest in train numbers?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4731 on: October 10, 2011, 01:29:14 PM »

Y Tu Mamá También

Captivating.  I'll look for more films by this director. 
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #4732 on: October 10, 2011, 10:26:31 PM »

Moneyball, the Tree of Life and A Better Life.

@angus watch Children of Men asap.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4733 on: October 10, 2011, 10:34:54 PM »

Congratulations, you are now a man.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4734 on: October 12, 2011, 08:49:42 PM »

Two films on telly recently named after places; Copenhagen and Brazil. Inevitably (for nothing in the world is as predictable as my tastes) I liked both. I'd seen bits of the latter before, but only bits, so it still counts for this thread.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4735 on: October 12, 2011, 08:54:16 PM »

CHINATOWN

Classic. Too bad it was made by a terrible person.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4736 on: October 13, 2011, 07:14:17 AM »

Moneyball, the Tree of Life and A Better Life.

@angus watch Children of Men asap.

I concur with this.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4737 on: October 13, 2011, 01:59:33 PM »

picked it up today.  Looks intriguing, although very different than Y Tu Mamá También.

I'll try to watch it this weekend. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4738 on: October 13, 2011, 11:51:30 PM »

Two films on telly recently named after places; Copenhagen and Brazil. Inevitably (for nothing in the world is as predictable as my tastes) I liked both. I'd seen bits of the latter before, but only bits, so it still counts for this thread.
I never understood why Brazil was called that.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4739 on: October 13, 2011, 11:54:08 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2011, 11:55:47 PM by Mr. Moderate »

The theme song was chosen before the title and they just decided to name it after that.  I find Brazil to be pretty overrated.  Actually, everything Terry Gilliam does is a joke that goes on 45 minutes too long.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4740 on: October 14, 2011, 12:11:52 PM »

The theme song was chosen before the title and they just decided to name it after that.  I find Brazil to be pretty overrated.  Actually, everything Terry Gilliam does is a joke that goes on 45 minutes too long.

This, excluding Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, is one of the truest statements I´ve ever seen on this forum.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4741 on: October 14, 2011, 12:14:06 PM »

Neo Ned

Decent.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4742 on: October 14, 2011, 02:25:13 PM »

I would actually agree that it doesn't work particularly well as a cohesive whole (although it certainly could have with a bit of severe editing). But, and this is the main thing to me, the details are often (in a strange way) oddly lovely. Like the children with the matches. Heart warming, right?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4743 on: October 15, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.  Surprisingly thought-provoking.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4744 on: October 16, 2011, 09:43:22 AM »

Wow.  I watched it last night.  Will probably rewatch it again today to appreciate the visual details.  Captivating movie, no doubt.  Brilliant direction. 

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4745 on: October 16, 2011, 08:12:09 PM »

Il Divo

Really, really, really good.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4746 on: October 19, 2011, 08:24:41 PM »

DRIVE

Awesome.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4747 on: October 22, 2011, 12:10:38 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2011, 12:18:34 AM by Politico »

The Ides of March

Yeah, that was quite unrealistic and very hard to get over (Even though I share the character's viewpoint on that particular issue). I thought the film just ran through the motions at the beginning, but it did not end too shabbily. However, *SPOILER ALERT* I expected the house of cards to come crashing down on Gosling's character by virtue of the traceable nature of cell phones, but I also like to think he confesses to everything during his final interview...how could he possibly live with himself otherwise? *END SPOILER ALERT*

I especially enjoyed Hoffman's performance and his dialogue on loyalty. Also, Giamatti was amazing.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4748 on: October 22, 2011, 05:58:53 AM »

Oh! Watched that one in cinemas when it came out here (two years ago, maybe?). I remember me and my friend laughed so hard we were hushed by someone.

It certainly made me realize how Berlusconi can win elections in Italy - by the standards of the Italian right he is a shining beacon of honesty and law-abiding.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4749 on: October 22, 2011, 04:01:46 PM »

Paranormal Activity 3. It was okay, and if you're really into the series, it expands the back story, but they've pretty much run the creative well dry at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 194 195 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies