2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:34:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida  (Read 56378 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« on: November 10, 2021, 07:54:06 PM »

Desantis has lost the vital support of laser eyed election twitter users.

IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 03:01:58 AM »

I do think a number of posters on Twitter have been far too sanguine about the DeSantis map and putting too much faith in the Senate to do what it wants.
I don't think so, both houses are pretty much done with redistricting and I doubt there's any legislative appetite to start over at this rate. Somethings that's probably stopping them is that they don't want it to go to court which would introduce a lot of uncertainty regarding wheter any republicans will be drawn out or into competive races.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 08:54:37 PM »

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that this is mostly a stunt by DeSantis aimed at donors or something rather than a genuine partisan maneuver. I originally thought he probably just wanted a friendly House if he won in 2024 or wanted to force a fight on VRA districts which he believed would benefit the GOP nationally. However, if this were the case, you'd expect for him to shift his strategy somewhat or at least come to the table after getting some pretty obvious pushback from the legislature and the courts. If anything, though, he's been getting more obstinate and is basically picking a fight with the legislature over this, and this map is no exception.

On the other hand, he has way more leverage than the State Legislature and probably thinks he can just browbeat them into submission. Also, his new map made changes that moved the general contour of the map to something resembling some of the House drafts (with the obvious exception of FL-5).
Issue is the FL-SC court doesn't seem to be too hackish given it rejected his request for them to say the FL-5 was unconditional so they might strike down the congressional map in their entirely and draw a fair map instead
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies