2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:04:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida  (Read 56417 times)
compucomp

« on: November 29, 2021, 12:44:33 PM »

This is what I was expecting from the beginning.   

It seems Sabatini's unpopularity with the FL GOP is what's keeping them from cracking FL-7,  this is the only map that does it.

This is Republican favored for sure but definitely not the most egregious gerrymander I've ever seen. Several districts like FL-6, FL-15, FL-27, FL-28, Trump won by less than 5. Sure they will go Republican in 2022 but the whole decade won't be like that and in a year like 2018 they could go Democratic. Maybe this is a deliberate attempt to create competitive districts so that the FL Supreme Court doesn't strike it down. I find the Texas map a far worse gerrymander since all R districts are safe and it would take a tidal wave for the Dems to chip away at it.
compucomp

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 11:12:55 AM »

If Jacksonville goes full Atlanta this decade in terms of shifts though, FL-05 may actually end up kind becoming a Dem pack of sorts, though Tallahassee seems like it's no longer going to be enough to support a competitive FL-02 on it's own.

I think if Jacksonville becomes like Atlanta, it will be the suburb-like parts of Jacksonville (south, east, Jacksonville Beach) that swings left, making FL-04 competitive rather than making FL-05 a pack.
compucomp

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 01:23:44 PM »

If Jacksonville goes full Atlanta this decade in terms of shifts though, FL-05 may actually end up kind becoming a Dem pack of sorts, though Tallahassee seems like it's no longer going to be enough to support a competitive FL-02 on it's own.

I think if Jacksonville becomes like Atlanta, it will be the suburb-like parts of Jacksonville (south, east, Jacksonville Beach) that swings left, making FL-04 competitive rather than making FL-05 a pack.

When I say become like Atlanta, I was moreso alluding to rapid black growth and gentrification, less so left shifting burbs as Jacksonville has many retirees, not as high salary buisness type jobs

Should've clarafied mb

There are actually a lot of high salary business types in Jacksonville on the south and east side, it's a pretty popular "nearshoring" center. I worked there for a short time (as one such person) and it felt like there was a solid population of people like me rather than being dominated by Southerners and old people. We'll see which trend wins out. FL-04 swung 7 points for Biden from 2016 while FL-05 swung 1 point.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies