2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:07:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida  (Read 56289 times)
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« on: June 23, 2020, 04:22:19 AM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/b0100165-54ef-454f-b983-88cc8fa41f68
16R-3S-10D
Of the 3 swing districts, 1 leans red (Keys), 1 is a tossup (Palm Beach, yes, that's a Trump district), and 1 leans blue (St. Pete).  I tried to make the best map for Republicans without being a dummymander or baconmander.  Luckily FL has much better political geography than TX, so you can get a clean looking map while heavily packing dems.  I was also surprised I could get a Trump+1 district entirely within Palm Beach and Broward without it being ugly.  One of the Orlando dems and rep Powell likely would lose.  No other incumbents are at risk.  Overall this map isn't too bad for most dem incumbents, but definitely is a soft R gerry.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 02:25:22 PM »

https://www.vox.com/2015/12/5/9851152/florida-gerrymandering-ruling

The 2016 case was 5-2 although 3 of the 5 are now replaced by Desantis conservatives, I think FL 5th can be cut out(A fair map replaces it with a likely R based in Tallahassee and a tossup or Lean D in Jacksonville although the GOP can make the Jacksonville seat safe or connect it to Orlando.)

This is what I would draw in North FL(purple isn't finished) The Yellow seat is Clinton +3, another option is to keep the district purely in Duval and just take the coastal region and make that a suburban district.

This is the other district I might draw and it ends up effectively as a light D gerrymander, more COI oriented but a bit less compact

The district is 37.5% black FWIW and +9 Clinton so Likely/Safe D.

Why not do Tallahassee to Jacksonville?  Shores up neighboring seats and helps avoid VRA  Litigation.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 02:32:18 PM »

Idaho Conservative, I’m curious if your map cracks The Villages or keeps it in one district.
I kept Sumpter County whole.  But it appears the Villages crosses county lines, generally, I prioritize keeping counties whole over cities.  To be fair I did a lot of splits in Orlando to keep dems to 2 seats in the area while making reasonably clean districts.  I prioritized aesthetics on the map, they are important because weird shapes convince the public of gerrymandering, clean, compact packs are more accepted.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 02:32:55 PM »

The 2016 case was 5-2 although 3 of the 5 are now replaced by Desantis conservatives, I think FL 5th can be cut out(A fair map replaces it with a likely R based in Tallahassee and a tossup or Lean D in Jacksonville although the GOP can make the Jacksonville seat safe or connect it to Orlando.)

This is what I would draw in North FL(purple isn't finished) The Yellow seat is Clinton +3, another option is to keep the district purely in Duval and just take the coastal region and make that a suburban district.

This is the other district I might draw and it ends up effectively as a light D gerrymander, more COI oriented but a bit less compact

Why not do Tallahassee to Jacksonville?  Shores up neighboring seats and helps avoid VRA  Litigation.

Because im drawing what I believe is a fair map?. I mean its not going to happen was just doing what I believe is a fair map.
minority districts aren't part of a fair map?
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 02:43:25 PM »

I agree with your take mostly, but that's not the law.  Probably best to draw the most fair legal map.

Why not do Tallahassee to Jacksonville?  Shores up neighboring seats and helps avoid VRA  Litigation.

Because im drawing what I believe is a fair map?. I mean its not going to happen was just doing what I believe is a fair map.
minority districts aren't part of a fair map?
Not uncompact/breaking multiple COI's, Im against Fajitas and FL 5th and CA 21, I apply my principles equally when I draw an actually fair map.  So yes districts like MS-2nd should exist but not all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies