2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:27:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 37
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida  (Read 56407 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2021, 07:03:03 PM »

Here's my 20-8 R FL map. FL-28 and FL-27 are won by Trump by 1% and 2% respectively. The Tampa and FL Metro districts are not as clean as Abdullah's map, but it gets the job done for the GOP if they pursue a map like this in someway.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/19b9da27-58b4-405a-950f-0294ba7659fd

Frankly I think they are worried enough about the Jacksonville area at this point to do 19/9.  They might try to drop the arm into Tallahassee, though.
That clearly violates the law, the language of the amendment states pretty clearly that they have to keep towns, counties intact.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2021, 11:52:15 AM »

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #177 on: October 10, 2021, 12:43:05 PM »

I love that we've normalized that a Florida Supreme Court will ignore a disadvantageous amendment to the State Constitution because "it's now a Republican court."
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #178 on: October 10, 2021, 12:43:25 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2021, 12:52:20 PM by lfromnj »

I love that we've normalized that a Florida Supreme Court will ignore a disadvantageous amendment to the State Constitution because "it's now a Republican court."

Just like the OR and NY courts and the IL courts for legislative maps which are supposed to be "reasonably compact". These courts just won't get involved mostly.

For Illinois’ state legislative lines, the state constitution further requires that districts be contiguous and reasonably compact.

For Oregon:
State law requires that congressional and state legislative districts meet the following criteria:[8]

Districts must be contiguous.
Districts must "utilize existing geographic or political boundaries."
Districts should not "divide communities of common interest."
Districts should "be connected by transportation links."
Districts "must not be drawn for the purpose of favoring a political party, incumbent or other person."

Its weird how only one is noted as an example of a hack court
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #179 on: October 10, 2021, 05:16:22 PM »

Just like the OR and NY courts and the IL courts for legislative maps which are supposed to be "reasonably compact". These courts just won't get involved mostly.

That may be the case, but in Florida the amendment was passed recently and interpreted by the court to force a remap a few years ago, so this would be a change from recent jurisprudence and the intent of the people just because it's now Republican justices so they'll choose to ignore the specific, actionable directives of the amendment because they don't want to.

I don't know how long those other terms in other states have been in the legislation or if they've ever come up before... or that we assume the NY supreme court (whatever it's called) wouldn't strike down a Dem gerrymander, which they might.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #180 on: October 10, 2021, 06:09:20 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2021, 06:17:32 PM by Torie »

That may be the case, but in Florida the amendment was passed recently and interpreted by the court to force a remap a few years ago, so this would be a change from recent jurisprudence and the intent of the people just because it's now Republican justices so they'll choose to ignore the specific, actionable directives of the amendment because they don't want to.

I don't know how long those other terms in other states have been in the legislation or if they've ever come up before... or that we assume the NY supreme court (whatever it's called) wouldn't strike down a Dem gerrymander, which they might.

"NY supreme court (whatever it's called)"

The Appellate Division of the Appellate Court. Please write that down.  Angel It has a certain insane logic to it. If you want to appeal the appeals court, pretend it is the trial court of what appellate  courts do, which has its own appeals court.

PS: The Supreme Courts are actually a thing in NYS to confuse the masses still further, but they are mere trial courts close to the bottom of the food chain, just above the pond scum of municipal courts that deal with park and bark cases, and cases under 5K or whatever the jurisdictional limit number is at the moment.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2021, 11:23:59 AM »

I think 19-9 with a minimal change or Duval vote sink FL-5 is the most likely outcome.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2021, 06:01:55 PM »

Yes, but I don't think we as posters normalized this.  It's just an objective fact at this point that Republicans (including partisan Judges) lack any integrity or shame. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2021, 09:30:03 PM »

They are roughly even now, as far as voter registration is concerned:

Florida Republicans close voter registration gap with Democrats
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2021, 06:09:00 PM »

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2021, 01:03:15 PM »

Apparently this is the first draft: https://redistricting.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=ce93c91276654cbcb0cb9acf2f5a39b7

Really not that aggressive.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #186 on: November 10, 2021, 01:04:25 PM »

Interesting how 5 was kept in tact but 14 still crosses the bay
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2021, 01:06:28 PM »

No?
That just seems to be a "publicly" submitted map 2 days ago. Still don't see any confirmation on the website. It seems like a possible map.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2021, 03:14:06 PM »

Florida released 4 maps. Not a lot of major differences.

Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #189 on: November 10, 2021, 03:17:32 PM »

These look....fine?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2021, 03:18:55 PM »

Too fine to be real. Making a 3rd Biden seat in Tampa is too weird.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2021, 03:27:05 PM »

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2021, 03:30:38 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2021, 03:39:41 PM by Nyvin »

That can't possibly be real.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #193 on: November 10, 2021, 03:33:25 PM »

This is one of those Charlie Brown football situations, isn’t it?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #194 on: November 10, 2021, 03:35:17 PM »

Huh, interesting. Maybe they're trying to play it safe with the SC?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #195 on: November 10, 2021, 03:39:10 PM »

These have to be fake, right?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #196 on: November 10, 2021, 03:41:31 PM »

Huh, interesting. Maybe they're trying to play it safe with the SC?

Either that or incumbent demands limited their choices, for instance Bilirakis lives in Pinellas, if he wishes to keep his home in his seat that obviously limits GOP options for FL-13 (this is just an example, idk if it happened, but it's an example of the type of stuff we could be talking about)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #197 on: November 10, 2021, 03:43:03 PM »

The one thing about Lean R seats in Florida is that they are really stubbornly R.

Honestly, I was only just holding out hope that they don't try to recreate the Tampa-St. Petersburg district from the 2000s (i.e. Tampa crossing the bay and taking in the most Democratic precincts in St. Petersburg). If that's real, I'm seriously amazed at how clean the lines are in the Tampa Bay area (districts 12-16).
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #198 on: November 10, 2021, 03:59:17 PM »

Calm down everyone, these are staff maps that will serve as a template for further drawing. Not actual proposals.

There is no way these would be released without the approval of actual legislators and probably even leadership. My guess is these maps were to set the tone that they would not be egregiously gerrymandering, in accordance with the state constitution, but that they'll make things better for the Republicans on the edges in upcoming drafts.   
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #199 on: November 10, 2021, 04:08:14 PM »

This map was 15/13 for Hillary in 2016 - I'd be stunned if this winds up being the final draft.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies