HB 23-10: Integrity in Party Conventions Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:36:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 23-10: Integrity in Party Conventions Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 23-10: Integrity in Party Conventions Act (Tabled)  (Read 1149 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2020, 02:24:38 PM »
« edited: May 02, 2020, 07:51:10 PM by Speaker Thumb21 »

AN ACT
to preserve the integrity of Atlasian political primaries

Section 1 (Title and Definitions)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Integrity in Party Conventions Act."
ii. A "political convention," or simply "convention," refers to the meeting of a political party to decide candidates for political office and/or decide on party by-laws.

Section 2 (Laws)
i. No political convention, whether on a regional or federal level, is allowed to let members who have joined the party within the 24 hour period prior to the posting of the convention thread shall be allowed to participate in voting for political candidates or party by-laws.
ii. Party members who have joined their party within the 24 hour period mentioned in subsection (i) are allowed to participate in the conventions signing with an "observer" status.
   a. While being able to participate in the same way as regular convention members in every other member, members with "observer" status are not allowed to participate in any party votes.
    b. Members who have "observer" status shall not be allowed to participate if the majority of non-observer members agree that they cannot participate.

Section 3 (Enactment Clause)
i. This act shall take effect immediately after passage.
ii. Any political convention taking place during the passage of this bill is exempt from this law.

Sponsor: Thumb21
House Designation: HB 23-10

72 hours to debate.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 02:26:53 PM »

This is a bill that was proposed by Koopa and sponsored by Tack - who has since left the house and I sponsored this to keep it from falling out of the queue. Personally I'm sceptical but I'll allow Koopa, Tack or another supporter to advocate before I share my thoughts.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 03:56:00 PM »

We shouldn't be dictating to the parties how to run their affairs.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 05:17:16 PM »

We shouldn't be dictating to the parties how to run their affairs.

I have to agree with this. Stuff like this should be left up to party bylaws.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 06:17:17 PM »

I understand that one might have a problem with this bill because it could interfere with the nomination process. However, I want to do everything within my power to make sure that a repeat of the Labor Winter 2020 Convention never occurs. The only thing this bill will do is stop infiltration of party conventions from outsiders who don't actually belong to that party. Atlasian parties should nominate what the party wants, not what temporary infiltrators want.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 06:38:50 PM »

In an ideal world we wouldn't have to step in and dictate this stuff to parties. However, this being a game with no shortage of shenanigans, it's important to prevent abusive situations from taking place in something as vital as the Presidential election process. I'd rather have Congress be firm on this now rather than regret it later when entryism wreaks havoc within a party.

This has my full support, and I strongly encourage my colleagues to support this bill.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 06:41:42 PM »

I understand that one might have a problem with this bill because it could interfere with the nomination process. However, I want to do everything within my power to make sure that a repeat of the Labor Winter 2020 Convention never occurs. The only thing this bill will do is stop infiltration of party conventions from outsiders who don't actually belong to that party. Atlasian parties should nominate what the party wants, not what temporary infiltrators want.

Then the Labor Party should put it in their bylaws. I don't see the need for us to force them to.

Dictating parties how to run their internal affairs arguably violates their right to free association, in violation of the Atlasian Constitution.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 06:52:40 PM »

I fully agree with the idea, but I think parties should decide this for themselves. No reason to force a lower status on new/switched party members of a party if the party doesn't see it as a problem.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 07:29:39 PM »

I oppose this bill for the reasons that others have already stated. If party by-laws have loopholes that can be exploited, then it is the party's responsibility to close said loopholes, not the federal government's.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 07:47:37 PM »

I'm afraid I must agree with the Chancellor and Congressman Cinyc - parties should be allowed to dictate their own bylaws. Federal intervention in party affairs is a dangerous line to tread.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 10:05:43 PM »

A well organised entryist effort could probably circumvent these rules quite easily so I'm not sure that this would achieve its goal, and I think its fair to say its a party's responsibility to ensure that it has the right rules.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 10:23:03 PM »

I support party's having anti-infiltration rules, but this isn't necessarily a universal position. I'm not sure what harm it does to Atlasia if one party wants to be more "anything goes." Worst-case scenario they get infiltrated and are now ran by different people. So? It doesn't change the ideological makeup of the game as a whole. Not to mention the people who were originally in charge of the party can make a new one with a similar name and the same ideals of the old party. If the infiltrators follow them into that one then...uh that's kinda hilarious Tongue
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 03:17:11 PM »

Um, is this still being debated? It's been a month. Tongue

Motion to table.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2020, 05:37:38 PM »

I'll second the motion to table.