HB 23-07: Holiday Work Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:20:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 23-07: Holiday Work Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 23-07: Holiday Work Act (Debating)  (Read 1074 times)
Peanut
Costa Rica

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2020, 06:36:53 PM »
« edited: April 01, 2020, 10:11:55 AM by VPeanut »

Quote from: Final Senate Text
Holiday Work Act

SENATE BILL

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

SECTION I

1. All Atlasian businesses employing more than 50 people are required to pay their waged workers 1.5 times the normal amount for working on any Atlasian federal holiday, with the exception of Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day, on which they are required to pay workers double.

People's Regional Senate
Passed 5-0 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

HB 23-07
Sponsor: TBD
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 06:37:28 PM »

We need a sponsor for this, Congressmen.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 07:04:13 PM »

I'd like to sponsor.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 07:06:00 PM »

24 hours to object to the Grand Inquisitor's sponsorship. I'd be afraid to, personally.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 07:45:19 PM »

Lumine is recognized as sponsor and is invited to speak on the bill?
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 09:30:59 PM »

I'll be supporting this bill and I thank Lumine for sponsoring it because it is absolutely vital that we support workers, and especially those who are working during holidays who deserve a payrise. And one big fact that has become obvious through this pandemic we are going through now, it is the importance of workers who our system usually doesn't appreciate.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 09:53:37 PM »

I don't think the government should be dictating what employees get paid on holidays. That should be left up to the employer and employee to decide.

Besides, as drafted, businesses might be precluded from paying more than what is "required".

I'll be voting no.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 10:20:32 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2020, 01:50:38 AM by Grand Inquisitor Lumine »

I'd have to second what Thumb said. The bill is a common sense measure that could make a positive difference in the lives of many workers without being - so I believe - intrusive or irresponsible, the Senate seemed to be in broad agreement as to the benefits it would bring, and to me it just seems fundamentally reasonable.

Cinyc does have a point in terms of how the bill is worded:

are required to pay their waged workers 1.5 times the normal amount

It could be sensible to change it do:

are required to pay their waged workers at least 1.5 times the normal amount

So as to allow businesses that may want to pay more to do so.

In fact, offering it as an amendment:

Holiday Work Act

SENATE BILL

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

SECTION I

1. All Atlasian businesses employing more than 50 people are required to pay their waged workers at least 1.5 times the normal amount for working on any Atlasian federal holiday, with the exception of Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day, on which they are required to pay workers double.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 10:44:59 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2020, 10:48:28 PM by cinyc »

I'd have to second what Thumb said. The bill is a common sense measure that could make a positive difference in the lives of many workers without being - so I believe - intrusive or irresponsible, the Senate seemed to be in broad agreement as to the benefits it would bring, and to me it just seems fundamentally reasonable.

Cynic does have a point in terms of how the bill is worded:

are required to pay their waged workers 1.5 times the normal amount

It could be sensible to change it do:

are required to pay their waged workers at least 1.5 times the normal amount

So as to allow businesses that may want to pay more to do so.

In fact, offering it as an amendment:

Holiday Work Act

SENATE BILL

SECTION I

1. All Atlasian businesses employing more than 50 people are required to pay their waged workers at least 1.5 times the normal amount for working on any Atlasian federal holiday, with the exception of Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day, on which they are required to pay workers double.

You'd need to amend the last sentence, too.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 10:46:42 PM »

I don't think the government should be dictating what employees get paid on holidays. That should be left up to the employer and employee to decide.

That's often not the mutual decision you are painting it to be. For millions of people across Atlasia the choice is "agree with whatever the employer says or you don't have a job." Which is why so many will take jobs that barely pay the bills--because "barely" > "nothing."

For my more general take on the bill, I'd say it's probably more important to improve the rights of workers and pay in general, but this specifically is, indeed, an important area to address. Having to work on holidays is an inconvenience for many; that time is often worth more to people than just a regular day, so it's entirely fair they should expect a higher monetary value for that time.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 10:52:42 PM »

That's often not the mutual decision you are painting it to be. For millions of people across Atlasia the choice is "agree with whatever the employer says or you don't have a job." Which is why so many will take jobs that barely pay the bills--because "barely" > "nothing."

For my more general take on the bill, I'd say it's probably more important to improve the rights of workers and pay in general, but this specifically is, indeed, an important area to address. Having to work on holidays is an inconvenience for many; that time is often worth more to people than just a regular day, so it's entirely fair they should expect a higher monetary value for that time.

Then find a better job that pays you more for working those days, if that's important to you. There are plenty of employers who already offer extra holiday pay. If Walmart doesn't, take your talents to Target, where they do.

You ultimately get less of what you increase the costs of. Want stores to close or offer worse service on holidays, making things worse for most other Atlasians? Force them to pay their employees more than the market will bear.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 08:46:07 PM »

Amendment is adopted with no objection.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 09:21:22 PM »

Amendment is adopted with no objection.

Like I said, you can't just amend part of the bill. You have to amend the second part, too. So another amendment:

Holiday Work Act

SENATE BILL

SECTION I

1. All Atlasian businesses employing more than 50 people are required to pay their waged workers at least 1.5 times the normal amount for working on any Atlasian federal holiday, with the exception of Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day, on which they are required to pay workers at least double.

I'm still not voting for this, but the amendment makes it clear employers could pay more.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 10:12:23 PM »

Friendly amendment, my apologies for not catching the mistake.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 07:45:48 AM »

Then find a better job that pays you more for working those days, if that's important to you. There are plenty of employers who already offer extra holiday pay. If Walmart doesn't, take your talents to Target, where they do.

You ultimately get less of what you increase the costs of. Want stores to close or offer worse service on holidays, making things worse for most other Atlasians? Force them to pay their employees more than the market will bear.

I'd go down the road of pointing out that "get another job" isn't as straight-forward as it sounds but we don't even need to go that far because its a fairly simple case. Holidays, especially the major ones, are supposed to be a time where people are relaxing, celebrating, meeting their families, going to church, going on trips ect. People who work during holidays are giving all that up to work hard and make ends meet, and anyone who needs to buy something on Christmas day because they forgot to buy enough veg for their meal or they ran out of drinks knows the value of these workers. They absolutely deserve a payrise.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 08:29:48 AM »

Does anyone have anything to add here?

If not, motion for a final vote.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2020, 07:22:18 PM »

Does anyone have anything to add here?

If not, motion for a final vote.

Seconding the motion for a final vote.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 08:51:30 AM »

Bump
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 01:25:15 PM »

...Are we gonna vote or?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 01:48:06 PM »

I certainly support and third the motion. We need a final vote.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2020, 01:51:33 AM »

Would the Vice President please clean up on aisle 3
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2020, 11:45:19 AM »

I'll suspend the rules so that I can open a final vote on this.

Final Vote

72 hours
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2020, 07:25:15 PM »

Aye
Lumine
LumineVonReuental