Computer games in these dark times
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:03:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Computer games in these dark times
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Computer games in these dark times  (Read 4814 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 09:26:33 AM »

Tale of two wastelands with extra new Vegas mods. Good fun
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 09:32:31 AM »

Been playing Crying Suns (it's kinda like FTL) on my own, and Starbound with a couple friends.

I've thought about playing either Stellaris or Crusader Kings, but I'm not sure if I want to do that to my life. I might get the FF7 remake when it comes out.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2020, 10:01:13 AM »

Stellaris and Kaiserreich on Darkest Hour are the big ones. Usually I prefer CK2 and Victoria II to Stellaris, but I've been a bit burned out on them lately.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2020, 10:02:18 AM »

Stellaris and Kaiserreich on Darkest Hour are the big ones.

I never bought Stellaris. They just came out with a new update, right?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 10:17:44 AM »

They did. The game still has its issues for sure; the midgame in particular is pretty weak, but its certainly a lot better now than it was at release.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 11:06:20 AM »

They did. The game still has its issues for sure; the midgame in particular is pretty weak, but its certainly a lot better now than it was at release.

How are the performance issues these days? Even in a small galaxy, I found the game unplayable by the time the endgame crisis occurred (this was about a year ago that I was playing).
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 11:32:27 AM »

How are the performance issues these days? Even in a small galaxy, I found the game unplayable by the time the endgame crisis occurred (this was about a year ago that I was playing).

To be honest, I'm not sure how much that's improved. My computer was always able to run small-to-intermediate sized galaxies until very late without any issue and that hasn't changed.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2020, 11:53:12 AM »

I've been playing Wargroove lately. Pretty neat game in the style of the GBA Advance Wars games.

I also play some RPGs from time to time.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2020, 12:30:08 PM »

i've been playing modded Fallout New Vegas and Hearts of Iron 4, I want to join the TNO mod team. I've also played Crisis in the Kremlin (It's a remake), this, and this, made by some indie developers, you should buy it as almost anything can handle it and it is a couple hundred Megabytes or so. I'm planning on getting Age of Empires II Definitive Edition with the new Age of Empires 4 when it comes out, if it comes out before the fall and the La Resistance DLC for Hoi4 when it has a discount.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2020, 11:33:07 PM »

I would just like to take this opportunity to say that Minecraft is the most Libertarian game ever created. The destroyers of human creativity don't want you to play this game, because it presents you with the opportunity to live a purely free existence in a stateless society where you must provide for yourself. Rather than forcing you to live vicariously through the eyes of a stranger, as first-person shooters do, Minecraft encourages aspiring creators to physically mold the world around them to sustain their own life. This is the life-affirming philosophy of the Nietzschean Ubermensch: The man who lives his life to its utmost fullest potential, regretting nothing. The Minecraft player is the fully realized man-- master over all beasts, slayer of monsters, adventurer, entrepreneur, strongman, builder, farmer, creator of his own means of life. This man does not stand passively by to be railroaded into a "narrative" by the game's designers. His experience in the game is his own and is utterly unique. He tears coal from the womb of the earth, he lights the world with torches, and he creates a reality and a truth for himself that no one else could have provided for him. His goals are whatever he wants them to be, and his means of achieving them are his own two hands. Unchain yourself from the shackles of mental submission provided by conventional gameplay. Your mind is an infinite well of creation and Minecraft is its blank canvas. Use it! Utilize your innate human potential, and find your own truth in the way that only you can-- do not rely on the jingoistic authoritarianism of Call of Duty or Battlefront to provide your life with meaning, create it for yourself! Build a home! Brave the depths of fiery hell! Slaughter wild animals using the tools you crafted with your bare hands! Only then will you know what it truly means to be free. Yes, free-- in a richer, fuller sense of the word than the FPS fans of the world dare to dream of. These "gamers" are not your allies. They are not your friends. They are brainwashed authoritarians, leeching human life of all its meaning. To them, nothing is left up to you or your own free will. They believe that true meaning can only be found in the rigid confines of a story written by another-- finite, narrow, and fleeting. They believe that you ought to live endlessly through these "stories" until, like a creature confined to a small, damp cave for the duration of its miserable existence, you grow stunted, pale, and blind, with no imagination whatsoever. This is not your destiny unless you make it so. Wrest control of your life's trajectory back from these thieves of the soul! You are not a mindless automaton in another person's story, you have free will! You are man, and you can think and work with your hands! It is you who first learned the secrets of soil and harvest, you who bridged gulfs with stone and steel, you who caused aircraft and rockets and skyscrapers to lift from the ground! Use this power! Use the tremendous wealth of creativity that nature has imbued in you to shape your surroundings in your own image!

I will make company with creators, with harvesters, with Minecraft YouTubers: I will show them the rainbow and the stairway to the Superman-- the one that lives in all of us, yearning to break free.

Brah just play FNV and start a based libertarian technocracy with a 200 year old dude/computer.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2020, 06:04:53 AM »

I would just like to take this opportunity to say that Minecraft is the most Libertarian game ever created. The destroyers of human creativity don't want you to play this game, because it presents you with the opportunity to live a purely free existence in a stateless society where you must provide for yourself. Rather than forcing you to live vicariously through the eyes of a stranger, as first-person shooters do, Minecraft encourages aspiring creators to physically mold the world around them to sustain their own life. This is the life-affirming philosophy of the Nietzschean Ubermensch: The man who lives his life to its utmost fullest potential, regretting nothing. The Minecraft player is the fully realized man-- master over all beasts, slayer of monsters, adventurer, entrepreneur, strongman, builder, farmer, creator of his own means of life. This man does not stand passively by to be railroaded into a "narrative" by the game's designers. His experience in the game is his own and is utterly unique. He tears coal from the womb of the earth, he lights the world with torches, and he creates a reality and a truth for himself that no one else could have provided for him. His goals are whatever he wants them to be, and his means of achieving them are his own two hands. Unchain yourself from the shackles of mental submission provided by conventional gameplay. Your mind is an infinite well of creation and Minecraft is its blank canvas. Use it! Utilize your innate human potential, and find your own truth in the way that only you can-- do not rely on the jingoistic authoritarianism of Call of Duty or Battlefront to provide your life with meaning, create it for yourself! Build a home! Brave the depths of fiery hell! Slaughter wild animals using the tools you crafted with your bare hands! Only then will you know what it truly means to be free. Yes, free-- in a richer, fuller sense of the word than the FPS fans of the world dare to dream of. These "gamers" are not your allies. They are not your friends. They are brainwashed authoritarians, leeching human life of all its meaning. To them, nothing is left up to you or your own free will. They believe that true meaning can only be found in the rigid confines of a story written by another-- finite, narrow, and fleeting. They believe that you ought to live endlessly through these "stories" until, like a creature confined to a small, damp cave for the duration of its miserable existence, you grow stunted, pale, and blind, with no imagination whatsoever. This is not your destiny unless you make it so. Wrest control of your life's trajectory back from these thieves of the soul! You are not a mindless automaton in another person's story, you have free will! You are man, and you can think and work with your hands! It is you who first learned the secrets of soil and harvest, you who bridged gulfs with stone and steel, you who caused aircraft and rockets and skyscrapers to lift from the ground! Use this power! Use the tremendous wealth of creativity that nature has imbued in you to shape your surroundings in your own image!

I will make company with creators, with harvesters, with Minecraft YouTubers: I will show them the rainbow and the stairway to the Superman-- the one that lives in all of us, yearning to break free.

Brah just play FNV and start a based libertarian technocracy with a 200 year old dude/computer.
And you should play Fallout 4 where you can kill anyone you want and if you are sleeping/waiting for three days, the towns folk will forgive you.
Seriously: Play FNV and play ALL of it's DLC's with the Old World Blues DLC the best!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2020, 10:34:35 PM »

Cities Skylines can be bought so cheap on Steam sale nowadays dude.
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2020, 12:48:28 AM »

This. 
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2020, 02:57:09 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2020, 03:03:10 AM by morgankingsley »

To be honest Santander playing video games of any capacity is the biggest news I've heard all week

Edit: I think I can actually for once in my existence on this forum make quite a handful of good write ups and posts about and reviewing video games since they are my favorite form of art media and I have spend countless hundreds of hours playing them and about half as many extra hours examining then all to the letter. Just let me know if you're interested and I'll get started that night
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2020, 03:00:05 AM »

If Assassin’s Creed is as good on the PC as it is on the console then get that game . I just downloaded Unity a week and a half ago on my PS4 and finished the campaign today . It was really really fun to play

You're an assassins creed fan? I've played the first five games with Desmond but stopped after the ending of AC3 which sucks because up until the last five minutes AC3 was my favorite of those 5 (unpopular I know but whatever)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2020, 03:04:35 AM »

If Assassin’s Creed is as good on the PC as it is on the console then get that game . I just downloaded Unity a week and a half ago on my PS4 and finished the campaign today . It was really really fun to play

You're an assassins creed fan? I've played the first five games with Desmond but stopped after the ending of AC3 which sucks because up until the last five minutes AC3 was my favorite of those 5 (unpopular I know but whatever)

Im not a fan of Origins or Odyssey but loved the series up til then.

Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2020, 08:52:33 AM »

i've been playing modded Fallout New Vegas and Hearts of Iron 4, I want to join the TNO mod team. I've also played Crisis in the Kremlin (It's a remake), this, and this, made by some indie developers, you should buy it as almost anything can handle it and it is a couple hundred Megabytes or so. I'm planning on getting Age of Empires II Definitive Edition with the new Age of Empires 4 when it comes out, if it comes out before the fall and the La Resistance DLC for Hoi4 when it has a discount.

I enjoyed Crisis, both the original and the remake, and would second this recommendation. Given the choice between Ostalgie and Mao's legacy, which would you recommend?

I'm also a Paradox fan, and play CK2, Stellaris, and HOIIV with old college friends semi-regularly, but I've been on a Rimworld kick recently now that most of the good mods are updated. I'd recommend that to anyone when it's on sale.

Haven't played Minecraft in years, but I might have to go back for some nostalgia now. In my experience, it was more of an argument for warlordism than libertarianism, but of course I always played on a nations server with rampant griefing against anyone who didn't have means of collective defense.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2020, 09:07:48 AM »

Well 2 days ago I beat Super Mario World for the first time. Pretty good game, I recommend it to everyone.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2020, 09:23:58 AM »

I assume you mean SimCity 4 or eariler? Cities Skylines beats any newer SimCity game out of the water.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2020, 09:32:48 AM »

I've started getting into imperator rome and ck2.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2020, 09:37:28 AM »

I enjoyed Crisis, both the original and the remake, and would second this recommendation. Given the choice between Ostalgie and Mao's legacy, which would you recommend?

I'm also a Paradox fan, and play CK2, Stellaris, and HOIIV with old college friends semi-regularly, but I've been on a Rimworld kick recently now that most of the good mods are updated. I'd recommend that to anyone when it's on sale.

Haven't played Minecraft in years, but I might have to go back for some nostalgia now. In my experience, it was more of an argument for warlordism than libertarianism, but of course I always played on a nations server with rampant griefing against anyone who didn't have means of collective defense.
Ostalgie with all of its DLC's as it includes All of the Warsaw Pact plus North Korea, Cuba, and Afganistan in DLC and China Mao's Legacy only includes China. I'd buy Ostalgie first but I'm pretty sure that all of the Games combined is like 27 dollars, and there's a sale right now for all of the games for like 11 dollars with the DLC
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2020, 10:16:18 AM »

Almost finished an Eu4 campaign as Air. Conquered most of West Africa quite easily, had to dev to get the Renaissance and Printing Press, was really far behind in tech initially but caught up near 1650-1700. Devd the crap out of my gold mines to drive up income and built manufactories everywhere. By 1750, our glorious Tuareg nation is the world's second most developed economy. Wrested control of the Ivory Coast node from UK/Holland (who got free from Burgundy somehow). Still have to liberate parts of Wolof from Spain.

Meanwhile in Europe, Crimea owns Muscovy and the Turk is at the walls of Vienna and has by far the largest army and economy in the world: frankly they're terrifying. France got half eaten by Spain. The Timurids formed the Mughals and Ming exploded. Screenshot later.

First campaign in a while 10/10 will play again.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »

My old laptop finally broke so I am trying to dual boot Windows 10 on my new machine.  Regretting choosing only 250GB hard disk as I'll need at least 100GB to try out AOE 1+2 DE alongside all the other junk Windows will undoubtedly add.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2020, 12:32:46 PM »

I want to play Age of Empires 2 but alas I only have a Mac.

How can I play it still?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2020, 12:34:47 PM »

I'm getting my girlfriend addicted to Civ V during this quarantine.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies