2022: Which House Democrats are vulnerable to losing a primary challenge?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:17:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2022: Which House Democrats are vulnerable to losing a primary challenge?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2022: Which House Democrats are vulnerable to losing a primary challenge?  (Read 2414 times)
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2020, 10:44:51 PM »

Is Steve Lynch vulnerable? He recently became pro-choice.

As long as Brianna Wu insists on being his primary left-wing challenger, he'll probably continue winning.
Why has Lynch faced primary challenges?

He's MA's most conservative Democrat, sort of a Lipinski-lite.
How is he fairly conservative, now that he’s pro-choice (Lipinski is still pro-life)?

The pro-life aftertaste + seeking to expand charter schools, off the top of my head.
Charter school support makes sense as to why he faces primary challenges.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2020, 10:12:36 AM »

Redistricting makes this an incredibly interesting question, as many safe D districts can become toss-ups and vice versa, either by the result of gerrymandering, population gain/loss, or happenstance from a commission. The left may become more aggressive against centrists if they are suddenly in D+10 seats.

Josh Gottheimer, Stephanie Murphy, Conor Lamb, Tom O'Halleran, Kurt Schrader, Steven Horsford, Ed Perlmutter, and Lacy Clay are some that come to mind. Some I know already have challengers of various seriousness.

We'll also probably see challengers to the usual suspects, like Steve Cohen.

I refuse to believe that he'll ever be successfully primaried.

I agree (this coming from somebody who has consulted for one of his previous challengers).

I completely forgot many of the NYC-area members who have already proved to be incredibly vulnerable. Large metro areas could certainly become hotbeds for DSA/Justice Dem primary challengers in the coming decade, in a manner similar to the way AOC/Pressley/Tlaib were elected (Omar had significantly more mainstream Dem support).
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2020, 10:28:39 AM »

Redistricting makes this an incredibly interesting question, as many safe D districts can become toss-ups and vice versa, either by the result of gerrymandering, population gain/loss, or happenstance from a commission. The left may become more aggressive against centrists if they are suddenly in D+10 seats.

Josh Gottheimer, Stephanie Murphy, Conor Lamb, Tom O'Halleran, Kurt Schrader, Steven Horsford, Ed Perlmutter, and Lacy Clay are some that come to mind. Some I know already have challengers of various seriousness.

We'll also probably see challengers to the usual suspects, like Steve Cohen.

I refuse to believe that he'll ever be successfully primaried.

I agree (this coming from somebody who has consulted for one of his previous challengers).

I completely forgot many of the NYC-area members who have already proved to be incredibly vulnerable. Large metro areas could certainly become hotbeds for DSA/Justice Dem primary challengers in the coming decade, in a manner similar to the way AOC/Pressley/Tlaib were elected (Omar had significantly more mainstream Dem support).
Of major cities, why have NYC incumbents (for example, Yvette Clarke) been particularly vulnerable?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2020, 08:51:25 AM »

Aside from possible incumbent vs. incumbent primary fights, Rashida Tlaib*, Henry Culler (but only if he still has some of Bexar County), Yvette Clarke*, Jim Costa, and maybe Eddie Bernice Johnson.  I think Atlas vastly overestimates the ability of the far left to mount effective primary challenges (as well as the appetite for it, for that matter).

*Assuming they even win their 2020 primary
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2020, 08:56:28 AM »

Aside from possible incumbent vs. incumbent primary fights, Rashida Tlaib*, Henry Culler (but only if he still has some of Bexar County), Yvette Clarke*, Jim Costa, and maybe Eddie Bernice Johnson.  I think Atlas vastly overestimates the ability of the far left to mount effective primary challenges (as well as the appetite for it, for that matter).

*Assuming they even win their 2020 primary
Costa and Cardenas are the only California Democrats that I can see facing a serious challenge.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies