Why doesn't Boston vote Republican if it's a racist city?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:12:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why doesn't Boston vote Republican if it's a racist city?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why doesn't Boston vote Republican if it's a racist city?  (Read 2118 times)
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2023, 05:32:43 PM »

Why would a large domed stadium complex in south Boston be better than Foxborough or Fenway?

1. Existing public transit would reduce the godawful stadium traffic to and fro Foxboro out in bumblephuck. This isn't a Levi's in Santa Clara scenario - Route 1 in small-town Massachusetts was not designed to handle 70,000 every Sunday.
2. It'd generate a larger ROI than the Seaport Square tech hub which ultimately took the spot. Granted mostly because Bob Kraft would've privately funded the Pats' new stadium, but the revitalization aspect cannot be ignored. Look at what incorporating the sports complex in Baltimore did for the Inner Harbor - and that was with the resources of Baltimore! Boston could've had a world-class waterfront.
3. Though I appreciate Fenway's quirks (and own memories such as seeing Brock Holt hit for the cycle while staying with my cousins in Brockton), the limited seating drives up ticket prices. The necessary bleacher expansions will only encroach more and more on the park's historical landmarks.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2023, 06:54:06 AM »

Why would a large domed stadium complex in south Boston be better than Foxborough or Fenway?

1. Existing public transit would reduce the godawful stadium traffic to and fro Foxboro out in bumblephuck. This isn't a Levi's in Santa Clara scenario - Route 1 in small-town Massachusetts was not designed to handle 70,000 every Sunday.
2. It'd generate a larger ROI than the Seaport Square tech hub which ultimately took the spot. Granted mostly because Bob Kraft would've privately funded the Pats' new stadium, but the revitalization aspect cannot be ignored. Look at what incorporating the sports complex in Baltimore did for the Inner Harbor - and that was with the resources of Baltimore! Boston could've had a world-class waterfront.
3. Though I appreciate Fenway's quirks (and own memories such as seeing Brock Holt hit for the cycle while staying with my cousins in Brockton), the limited seating drives up ticket prices. The necessary bleacher expansions will only encroach more and more on the park's historical landmarks.

Can confirm.  I was riding with a buddy of mine and we were approaching Foxborough and literally the first thing I said when I saw the stadium behind a bunch of trees as close to countryside as one could get in Plymouth County was "what the f*** is that!?"  It sticks out like a freaking UFO or something and is the most ungodly eyesight I've ever seen.

I feel for the folks in Southie who hate gentrification.  It seriously sucks.  Maybe they were worried about Southie becoming the next Hells Kitchen.  I get it.  But whether or not they got a stadium put into their backyard doesn't seem to have been a factor in that.  Southie is expensive af, something like 90% of the parking spaces require A PERMIT, like seriously what the hell is even up with that?  Also damn few of these businesses even seem to have public restrooms (or you have to pay first) so sometimes if you got to take a sh**t you have to walk for like thirty minutes before you find a public accomodation that does have restrooms.

So yeah, the man has a point.  Or five f***ing hundred.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2023, 05:16:18 AM »

Is it really that racist? I live here and don't witness much racism.

As a whole it’s not racist. It isn’t.

But there is underlying racism - as in saying offensive things in private that they wouldn’t have the balls to say in public. As in buying into ignorant stereotypes etc. But it’s not a racist city on the whole.

Sorry to that at one point there was a disproportionate amount of racists in this area for a northern city but it has diminished greatly in the last few decades (thankfully)

It wouldn’t. At least on the Red Sox side of things.

Fenway has been renovated DRAMATICALLY since the early 00’s. When they were planning a new Fenway in the late 90’s (to be built next door from the current one). There is no doubt that the park will reach a point where it simply has run its course. I’d bet that happens around 2035-2040. But the renovations to it have made the park economically viable and comfortable enough for the fans.

Now the Red Sox are trying to build a major development around the

park which would really spruce up the area (although to be fair the area around the park is 10000x what it was 20 years ago)

As for the Patriots and Foxboro. This is a different story. The new stadium should never have been built in Foxboro. Yes a lot of NFL stadiums are built in the suburbs because they’re only used so many times a year. But a proposal in the late 90’s to build Gillette Stadium right on the Seaport area waterfront would have been (to borrow a baseball reference) a grand slam. That stadium with the atlantic ocean and partial skyline view in the background of the “lighthouse” endzone. With the skyline in the background of the other end zone? The whole built up modern seaport neighborhood developments surrounding the stadium. With direct highway connections to the Massachusetts turnpike (I90) and I93 both a mile away, a 5 minute tunnel drive to the airport. And most critically  the mass transit: the areas largest commuter rail hub just a 6 minute walk away and Bostons second busiest subway station just a 4 minute walk away. It really would have been as good as it gets. Almost surely would’ve resulted in Boston landing a Super Bowl once cold weather cities started being considered in light of NY’s host in 2013.

The reason it never got built there? Speaker of the House Thomas Finneran refused to work with Kraft. He was willing to let the team walk to Hartford at first until pressure got to him. But it appeared to everyone he wasn’t getting kick backs enough so he was blocking the move - a terrible display of NIMBYism

And Foxboro? It’s a mess. It feels like it’s in the middle of nowhere. Eastern Massachusetts is extremly dense but they found a location that feels like you’re in the boonies. It’s a full half an hour from Downtown Boston. It sucks and yes the stadium sticks out massively when driving up route 1.

And there is only a few lanes getting out of the area after a Patriots game so after the game you can sit in traffic for almost 2 hours before you can get onto the highway 3 miles down the road. It gets so bad they’ve started paying fans to park in a lot that doesn’t allow cars out until 2.5 hours after the game.

They’ve tried to spruce it up with Patriot Place. Which if done right would be a nice project but essentially it’s just an outdoor strip mall surrounding the stadium. Nothing special at all. It was actually was a FIRST. It was the inspiration for Green Bays Titletown district and for the battery in Atlanta.

They’re just finishing up a $300M renovation of the North Endzone. It enclosed the stadium - tore down the small lighthouse structure. Replaced it with a much taller lighthouse (that will be the tallest in New England), built the largest outdoor video screen in America and built yet another game day club for the elites. Announcing the renovations Robert Krafts son Johnathan said “It’s our goal to never have to build a new stadium” which was not a popular statement - because most fans other than those from Rhode Island and the Cape - hate the location. Hopefully (and likely) that’s just PR shenanigans to justify the raise in prices to fund the renovations.

Although the Krafts have horrendously allowed the value of their MLS team to stay a lot lower than it otherwise would because they haven’t gotten their act together on a new Revolution stadium. Despite there being plenty of locations that would work with mass transit etc and soccer loving communities in the Boston area. So who knows.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2023, 06:16:34 AM »

Also, the very question posed here is grossly ignorant.  Not all racists are Republicans and (shudder) not all Republicans are racists.  It is entirely possible to be a registered Democrat in a liberal area and to have racist views about minorities.  Why?  Because an individual's politics is deeply nuanced and not limited to what they think about certain groups of people.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2023, 06:42:20 PM »

Racists don't vote exclusively Republican
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2023, 12:28:18 AM »

The city has changed a lot, demographically, in 50 years. The short answer was that the Democratic Party was so dominant and the Republican Party so liberal that it was rational for racist working class factions to remain in the Democratic Party where they punched above their weight in state politics.

In some ways racist Irish-Catholic ancestral Dems are the last dixiecrats.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2023, 12:28:42 AM »

I don’t think the Yankees are very racist but the Irish sure are. At least compared to other groups. 

HP Lovecraft would like a word.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2023, 01:54:54 AM »

Racists don't vote exclusively Republican
And they never have.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2023, 04:48:25 AM »

A lot of good answers in this thread, but another factor is that Democratic Party loyalty has stayed strong throughout the Boston metro area among Irish and especially Italian ethnics compared to their counterparts in places like New York City. Boston itself would be a heavily Democratic city no matter what but it has plenty of suburbs that would be much more Republican if it was in another state.

Jim Crow
Rookie
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2023, 06:45:52 PM »

Because the Democrats are the party of slavery. 
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2023, 09:32:51 PM »

Charles Sumner is that you?
Jim Crow
Rookie
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2023, 09:41:51 PM »

Charles Sumner is that you?

Do you mean Charles Schumer?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2023, 02:22:55 AM »

Har har so clever
Jim Crow
Rookie
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2023, 09:46:26 PM »

I don't get it lol but you seem funny.  Nice to meet you.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies