2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Mississippi (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:58:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Mississippi (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Mississippi  (Read 6724 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« on: March 27, 2020, 05:12:38 PM »

I can't imagine the black population has dropped enough to not warrant the Section 2 district though.
The Black population in MS has been growing slowly over the course of this decade.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 01:21:11 PM »

Good map honestly. Nothing worth criticizing. Of course the GOP's hands are tied by the VRA here.
I think this map is bad based on COI, but is a wash politically. If I were drawing the map based on COI without consideration to partisanship, there would be 2 Safe R seats, and 2 Swing seats, the swing seats being around Biden + 2.2 and Biden + 2.5. It would have the potential to either double or nothing Black Representation in the state, depending on how strong their turnout was in any given year.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 01:46:18 PM »

Good map honestly. Nothing worth criticizing. Of course the GOP's hands are tied by the VRA here.
I think this map is bad based on COI, but is a wash politically. If I were drawing the map based on COI without consideration to partisanship, there would be 2 Safe R seats, and 2 Swing seats, the swing seats being around Biden + 2.2 and Biden + 2.5. It would have the potential to either double or nothing Black Representation in the state, depending on how strong their turnout was in any given year.

I feel like the Black population along the Mississippi is a COI in its own right, and diluting it by splitting into two districts doesn't feel right to me.
I would not split the Black population along the Mississippi. The problem is that in order to draw a Safe D seat, you either have to split that or split the Jackson Metro, neither of which would be ideal from COI. The Biden + 2.2 seat I described would be a Majority non-Hispanic Black VAP seat along the Delta, and the Biden + 2.5 seat I described would be a seat with no majority racial group with the Jackson Metro.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 02:12:48 PM »

This is the map I am talking about ftr:

Neither of Delta area nor the Jackson Metro are split.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies