2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Alabama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:31:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Alabama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 34
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Alabama  (Read 48215 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2021, 02:23:09 PM »

These districts are literally majority Black on CVAP without splitting Mobile or Birmingham:

7 districts:

6 districts:

Cook PVI? Is it more likely that Alabama gets 6 or 7?

I didn't save the 7-district Black majority seat, but the 6-district seat is 55D-44R on the 2012-2016 average. I imagine the former is higher.

Don't know wrt: your second question.
Isn’t your 7 district map borderline illegal? Is it more likely the state stays at 7 or loses a seat?

Literally how?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2021, 02:26:29 PM »

Splitting Birmingham or Mobile is needed for a 55% BCVAP district.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2021, 02:36:06 PM »

Why does it have to hit that threshold? There are plenty of districts which are required under the VRA which don't have 55% BCVAP--and considering racial polarization in Alabama a district which is majority Black by CVAP will easily be able to elect the Black candidate of choice.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2021, 02:44:22 PM »

Why does it have to hit that threshold? There are plenty of districts which are required under the VRA which don't have 55% BCVAP--and considering racial polarization in Alabama a district which is majority Black by CVAP will easily be able to elect the Black candidate of choice.
It doesn't have to. I just prefer it for good measure. I prefer a map with a VRA district and a swing district. What do your full maps of Alabama look like? What is the composite partisanship of each district?

My 6 district map partisanship.

My 7 district map partisanship.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2021, 06:29:28 PM »

These districts are literally majority Black on CVAP without splitting Mobile or Birmingham:

7 districts:

6 districts:

Cook PVI? Is it more likely that Alabama gets 6 or 7?

I didn't save the 7-district Black majority seat, but the 6-district seat is 55D-44R on the 2012-2016 average. I imagine the former is higher.

Don't know wrt: your second question.
Isn’t your 7 district map borderline illegal? Is it more likely the state stays at 7 or loses a seat?

No one knows the odds of it being at 7 or 6.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2021, 01:38:10 AM »

link
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2021, 09:33:10 AM »

I just drew a nice AL map that has two 50%+ BCVAP CD's that does not even look particularly ugly. The best scenario for the news this afternoon is for MN to retain an 8th seat I think. AL retaining a 7th CD will most likely mean a second minority performing CD, by the time SCOTUS does its thing at least, assuming it does not reverse Gingles.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/457311a7-6b54-4fd1-a906-4102125c7082
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #157 on: April 26, 2021, 03:32:50 PM »

I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #158 on: April 26, 2021, 03:40:03 PM »

Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #159 on: April 26, 2021, 06:54:35 PM »

I just drew a nice AL map that has two 50%+ BCVAP CD's that does not even look particularly ugly. The best scenario for the news this afternoon is for MN to retain an 8th seat I think. AL retaining a 7th CD will most likely mean a second minority performing CD, by the time SCOTUS does its thing at least, assuming it does not reverse Gingles.

I still don’t understand why the Obama DOJ didn’t push for a 2nd VRA district here.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2021, 06:57:11 PM »

I still don’t understand why the Obama DOJ didn’t push for a 2nd VRA district here.
I don't know. Eric Holder is pushing for one now.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2021, 07:15:38 AM »

I suspect the numbers were not there to draw two "compact" 50%+ BCVAP districts that had no overlapping territory at the time (e.g., before the 2019 CVAP data was put into the DRA, it was a very close case whether Gingles triggered a second black performing CD). It may also be that the contours of the Gingles parameters had not been as clarified by SCOTUS as they are now. If the data base the Court uses matches the current data base in the DRA, either the Pubs are going to lose this case, or SCOTUS is going to modify Gingles. The districts are clearly sufficiently compact. Heck, the map does not even entail an extra county chop.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2021, 09:58:24 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2021, 10:12:44 AM by ERM64man »

I suspect the numbers were not there to draw two "compact" 50%+ BCVAP districts that had no overlapping territory at the time (e.g., before the 2019 CVAP data was put into the DRA, it was a very close case whether Gingles triggered a second black performing CD). It may also be that the contours of the Gingles parameters had not been as clarified by SCOTUS as they are now. If the data base the Court uses matches the current data base in the DRA, either the Pubs are going to lose this case, or SCOTUS is going to modify Gingles. The districts are clearly sufficiently compact. Heck, the map does not even entail an extra county chop.
I updated my map and got a more compact map with even fewer county splits with two 50+% BCVAP districts. I didn't split Dale, Tuscaloosa, or Calhoun.

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2021, 10:29:20 AM »

I think the current SCOTUS is more likely to end VRA Section 2 redistricting requirements entirely than it is to force the adoption of this map in AL.  Dems would be smarter to wait for 2031 and hope their position on SCOTUS has improved by then.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2021, 10:33:32 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2021, 10:37:23 AM by ERM64man »

I think the current SCOTUS is more likely to end VRA Section 2 redistricting requirements entirely than it is to force the adoption of this map in AL.  Dems would be smarter to wait for 2031 and hope their position on SCOTUS has improved by then.
You think SCOTUS would allow this map that I drew, where all seven districts are safe R, and Terri Sewell gets replaced by a white Republican in AL-07?

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2021, 10:47:53 AM »

I think the current SCOTUS is more likely to end VRA Section 2 redistricting requirements entirely than it is to force the adoption of this map in AL.  Dems would be smarter to wait for 2031 and hope their position on SCOTUS has improved by then.
You think SCOTUS would allow this map that I drew, where all seven districts are safe R, and Terri Sewell gets replaced by a white Republican in AL-07?

SCOTUS would allow poll taxes if they get the opportunity.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2021, 10:52:01 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2021, 12:03:58 PM by ERM64man »

SCOTUS would allow poll taxes if they get the opportunity.
And allow rotten boroughs too? Maybe with partisan 5-4 decisions overruling Reynolds v. Sims/Wesberry v. Sanders, with John Roberts dissenting?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: May 01, 2021, 11:59:17 AM »

If I were the Alabama Pubs, in order to increase the odds that they will not lose what would appear to be a most meritorious Holder lawsuit, I would draw the map below, and I would do it before rather than after losing the Holder lawsuit because if they do it after, the odds would be higher than it would be held an insufficient after the fact remedy given that they demonstrated bad faith in the first instance.

You see, they did not chop Jefferson County, and then added the county which minimizes the chop into the third county, and the chop into the third county is the logical place to do it. In other words it was a map which hewed to neutral non race based redistricting principles. At least the Pubs get a somewhat competitive district which if it elects a Dem, the Dem will be a moderate Dem. What are the odds that the Pubs will take my advice? Probably about as high  as I being elected POTUS. Sad!

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #168 on: May 01, 2021, 07:10:32 PM »

Ben Erdreich is still alive and will be 83 on Election Day next year if he wants to make a comeback in AL-6.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2021, 10:11:51 PM »

Ben Erdreich is still alive and will be 83 on Election Day next year if he wants to make a comeback in AL-6.
This comment wound up inspiring me to remake the 1980s borders for Alabama's CDs.
https://davesredistricting.org/join/e7ed31d6-3fd9-49ea-b066-ef87c1075aee
This is what I came up with.
Comes to show just how much rural AL has changed over the past 30 years.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2021, 11:15:30 PM »

Alabama map I've made.
Only one county split that is avoidable, and avoiding it would make the map horridly uncompact.
AL-07 remains a performing Black CD, and the Birmingham district is 38% black, essentially a minority opportunity CD.
https://davesredistricting.org/join/246fd6c9-2584-4d08-ad88-c9904115d146
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #171 on: May 04, 2021, 11:48:56 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2021, 11:54:24 AM by ERM64man »

Slight modifications to my map.

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2021, 06:56:46 PM »

Is getting 50% BVAP really needed anymore?   Especially in the Birmingham district the white suburbs have actually shifted pretty D in recent years.  

I think this Tuscaloosa+Birmingham district would perform perfectly fine, AA's would still dominate the D primary and it's plenty Dem enough.  Plus helps to separate urban blacks from rural blacks.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/4d1cefec-ba89-445c-8511-8f63869faaad

They should really push the lawsuit to get two districts, it's stupid obvious they can be made in the state without issue.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #173 on: May 11, 2021, 07:02:25 PM »

Is getting 50% BVAP really needed anymore?   Especially in the Birmingham district the white suburbs have actually shifted pretty D in recent years.  

I think this Tuscaloosa+Birmingham district would perform perfectly fine, AA's would still dominate the D primary and it's plenty Dem enough.  Plus helps to separate urban blacks from rural blacks.

They should really push the lawsuit to get two districts, it's stupid obvious they can be made in the state without issue.

Only a teeny tiny issue of splitting the Coastal city COI in half and creating a non contiguous district. Im sure Clarence Thomas will be eager to create this district.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #174 on: May 11, 2021, 07:11:45 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2021, 07:32:08 PM by Nyvin »

Only a teeny tiny issue of splitting the Coastal city COI in half and creating a non contiguous district. Im sure Clarence Thomas will be eager to create this district.

Nope, I intentionally left the bridge in AL-1.

Edit - Actually if you put the "vast majority" of Mobile in the VRA district it kinda makes a better map,  the only reason for the Mobile split is to have the bridge for road connection to the rest of the county

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies