China closes borders to foreign nationals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:41:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  China closes borders to foreign nationals
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: China closes borders to foreign nationals  (Read 2528 times)
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2020, 11:56:27 PM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-26/china-to-suspend-foreigners-entry-starting-saturday

My city got its first imported case (the first new case in a while) this week. This affects some people I know who are trapped in the US and UK, but I think this is probably the only way to prevent a second outbreak.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 07:53:04 AM »

More class trolling tbf.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 01:02:19 PM »

Aww dang, it's a lovely time of year to visit Wuhan. Has there been some problem?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 01:03:46 PM »

they are preparing to blame their second "wave" on it coming in from outside.  In reality, it's never left China, they just been lying about their numbers the last few weeks in preparation for it.  Their first attempt at blaming the US for it was laughed at by everyone else, so they're putting a little more time into this one.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 08:10:31 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2020, 08:16:37 AM by GMantis »

Or the correct conclusion considering that 98% of currently active Covid 19 cases are outside China.

they are preparing to blame their second "wave" on it coming in from outside.  In reality, it's never left China, they just been lying about their numbers the last few weeks in preparation for it.  Their first attempt at blaming the US for it was laughed at by everyone else, so they're putting a little more time into this one.
I'm honestly curious if you have any actual evidence to support this theory, in the face of the overwhelming evidence against it of the quarantine being gradually ended.

One would also think if this was the case that China would not hurry with closing the border since then any cases could be blamed on the foreigners.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 10:15:32 AM »

It was just a little quip.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 12:29:35 PM »

I'm honestly curious if you have any actual evidence to support this theory, in the face of the overwhelming evidence against it of the quarantine being gradually ended.

One would also think if this was the case that China would not hurry with closing the border since then any cases could be blamed on the foreigners.
no evidence other than their past multiple lies and the difficulty in stopping this virus completely
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 01:05:44 PM »

no evidence other than their past multiple lies and the difficulty in stopping this virus completely
Other East Asian countries have managed to contain the virus, so even that argument is not sound.
Anyway, I think that absent reliable sources, one should judge China by its actions. And I simply don't see how they would be ending the lockdown if the pandemic continued to rage.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 01:16:34 PM »

we will see in time.

And thank you for not giving me a wall of text to read like the other PRC fan bois like to do.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 08:03:09 AM »

they are preparing to blame their second "wave" on it coming in from outside.  In reality, it's never left China, they just been lying about their numbers the last few weeks in preparation for it.  Their first attempt at blaming the US for it was laughed at by everyone else, so they're putting a little more time into this one.

I get that you don't trust the Chinese government, and I won't argue you should, but I don't understand why you feel so confident about something you don't know about. I have friends in Wuhan who can attest it's better there now. The containment measures were pretty big, and they worked. The news in my city gives specific info on all of the imported cases, just like they do on all the other ones. So I have really good reason to believe that they're not lying about any of that.

Funny story: same friend who was in a hospital in Wuhan at the start of all this sold some footage to some Western news outlet (not sure which one) for several hundred bucks. It was just in the moment craziness and she mentioned she felt bad seeing that they used the footage in an alarmist and irresponsible way. It is a really big country, and it's not difficult to find some random crazy stuff if you look. It's important to contextualize this stuff because if you saw the US equivalent you might just write it off as some random nutjob. I know that you don't believe in the super government heavy approach they took here, and I get that, like I have to have an app on my phone to go anywhere showing my recent medical history and so does everyone else. I definitely get being worried about that kind of thing, but it's worked exceptionally well. I think libertarians need to acknowledge that if they want to propose an alternative, because if the most they can come up with is just denying it, then it looks, at least from my end, that they are trying to cover for not having solutions.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 12:17:45 PM »

does this kind of thing give you a better social score?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 02:17:32 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2020, 02:21:09 PM by GMantis »

we will see in time.

And thank you for not giving me a wall of text to read like the other PRC fan bois like to do.
I'm not PRC "fan boi", but I don't like the opposite: unreasonable hatred of China, which does not allow for any nuances and is as harmful for objective thinking as being a shill for China.

does this kind of thing give you a better social score?
This is a good example of what I mean.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 11:31:06 PM »

China is a fascist dictatorship wrapped in red, trusting data from such a government is a bold strategy

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies