Have WV Dems bottomed out for Prez?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:03:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Have WV Dems bottomed out for Prez?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Have WV Dems bottomed out for Prez?  (Read 883 times)
walleye26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2020, 07:41:10 PM »

Clinton got 26% in WV in 2016. Is this about as low as WV can go for the Dems at a Presidential level? If not, how low? My guess would be this is about it since there will always be a small number of college students, government workers, and unions that will keep it above 25%.
On another note, is there a big age divide in WV like elsewhere, with younger kids being very Democratic and the elderly being blood red?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 08:09:34 PM »

Clinton got 26% in WV in 2016. Is this about as low as WV can go for the Dems at a Presidential level? If not, how low? My guess would be this is about it since there will always be a small number of college students, government workers, and unions that will keep it above 25%.
On another note, is there a big age divide in WV like elsewhere, with younger kids being very Democratic and the elderly being blood red?

I've seen exit polls/surveys showing young West Virginians are majority-Republican.

It makes sense given there are so few nonwhite West Virginians, even in younger cohorts, and so few of them have been to college.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 08:32:55 PM »

Yes
voice_of_resistance
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.34, S: 5.22

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 09:11:27 PM »

Yes, I think so. There will always be a few Yellow Dog Democrats left, as well as a few college students and a small amount of minorities that 25% should be a floor for Dems in the state.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 02:37:09 PM »

Probably, although they won’t improve that much from here. Even Obama’s paltry 2012 performance is likely unobtainable. Something like a 66-32 Trump vs Biden race wouldn’t surprise me.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 03:01:46 PM »

The narrative here certainly is that near 100% of *undesirable* voters in the state (i.e., racists, xenophobes, sexists, generally “dumb” people in the eyes of Atlas) are Republican-voting already, no?  That would kind of necessitate that answer of “Yes” to this question, IMO.  In other words, you can’t act like WV’s “deplorables” all vote GOP AND act like Democratic support could experience significant erosion in the near future.

My non-tongue-in-cheek answer is “Likely Yes.”  If nothing else, I don’t see a Republican successor of Trump - presumably running in a universe where WV hasn’t experienced any marked improvement and where Justice leaves as an unpopular governor, at least returning a FEW Ancestral Democrats to the fold - inspiring the same kind of unwavering support.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 03:08:33 PM »

I doubt it.  I think WV is one of the states most likely to swing R in 2020.  If Manchin had been running in 2016, he could have at least won by the 7 points Justice did, even as Hillary got crushed.  I think Manchin’s victory would have been by double-digits, frankly, but he was up in 2018, so he won by only 3.  Trends continue. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies