Updates to forum (ongoing) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:34:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Updates to forum (ongoing) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Updates to forum (ongoing)  (Read 31087 times)
jake_arlington

« on: March 27, 2020, 12:02:05 PM »

Guys, sorry for the pet peeve but PLEASE make sure if you're making an avatar not to have overlapping black pixels! It hurts my (and i'm sure others' too) eyes! Of course, thank you for all the effort.

EDIT: to clarify, I meant CONNECTED black pixels on the outline of countries/states, etc. Do have them diagonally touching but not side-by-side, or, god forbid, more. I believe this is the guidelines previously and initially followed, so that should not be an issue either way.
jake_arlington

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 05:14:25 PM »

Option to change and have a dark theme for the Forum
jake_arlington

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 07:28:12 PM »

Generally at what dimensions do you like to have these avatars, Virginia?
jake_arlington

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 12:54:49 PM »

I can manage to get a white background but not transparent, what program or tool could I use to how this?
jake_arlington

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 01:07:47 PM »

Virginia, thank you for making these changed. I know certain members will want and like or wish to hearken back to a dreamier era of Atlas but most forum sites that i'm part of on the internet as a member, are broadly at least half a dozen if not ten or so years younger than Atlas on average. Not to say i've got anything against the older people here, but the problem is all the newer Talkasians we could be otherwise attracting. and With a newer-looking site interspect and design that should make the task already much easier!

P.S. crumpled, it cost's $120 though.
jake_arlington

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 02:11:02 PM »

Who wants a congressional district avatar

(Only requests for current ones, please)
jake_arlington

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 04:25:40 PM »

Guys, I would just ask beforehand if your avatar would be acceptable to upload for use in user profiles. Counties and congressional districts are a bit too far, especially since we're getting new districts in a little over a year. And for historical avatars, I don't want to add every region imaginable. There are like two I'm thinking about but that's it. I appreciate the enthusiasm and contributions obviously, but needs to be some limits here.

Btw, of course I understand it won't be uploaded for official use. Just giving the offer since there seemed to be users interested in having one, jut for the "fun" of it.

Probably though this isn't the right thread to ask
jake_arlington

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 06:01:15 PM »

Dave had international avatars before, it was just limited because there are hundred(s) of countries and it's too time consuming to try and make them all (even just uploading each country takes time). There are only 7 historical avatars right now, which means there are only 7 avatars not in line with his previous list.
But the spirit in itself has definitely changed over time, though. Anyway, on a different not:

Here's avatars for interwar Germany.

And I also fixed yours too, btw:  
jake_arlington

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 07:42:41 PM »

Iceland (just making Dule's avatars workable for the site)

Who's Dule, btw? Someone from AAD?
jake_arlington

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 08:03:48 PM »

Guys, I would just ask beforehand if your avatar would be acceptable to upload for use in user profiles. Counties and congressional districts are a bit too far, especially since we're getting new districts in a little over a year. And for historical avatars, I don't want to add every region imaginable. There are like two I'm thinking about but that's it. I appreciate the enthusiasm and contributions obviously, but needs to be some limits here.

What about Worth Townshop?  I’ll never ask for anything again.  Im in isolation.  I need it.

What is the abbreviation for it? And who?
*which party / partisanship affiliation would you like for it to be listed under?
jake_arlington

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 10:24:18 PM »

How would people feel about avatars for major Indian nations/reservations? I generally agree we don't want to go too overboard with historical or extremely local avatars. But this is one I'd be reasonably cool with, especially since it does have political implications what kind of jurisdiction one lives in, in a way that congressional districts or counties don't.

I think the biggest concern, as others have noted, is we don't want to have a list of thousands of avatars for new users to sort though. Would it be possible under the "Forum Profile Information" menu to have nested options that would make the list less daunting? For example, having an initial list for "US States and Territories, Other Countries and Territories, Historical Entities," and within each of these, have more thorough lists? Just a thought.

Good idea for the trick to get used as an organization tool, though I assume it must be difficult for Virginia to personally get to, as she says it's tough enough to simply change the display name of one of the countries as it currently appears atm right now, much less their ordering, etc. And so much so as to of course prevent her from getting around to it anytime soon.

Still an interesting and great proposal to consider nonetheless imo, though!
jake_arlington

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 02:52:33 PM »

Can we just go back to the original 50 states, Canadian provinces, add in maybe a dozen or so major foreign countries? These exotic places that are getting added, not to mention historical avatars, go way too far.
jake_arlington

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 08:46:02 PM »

Thank you, Alex! How are you guys going about making these avatars, by the way?

Draw each pixel by hand on the map, or is there any kind of shortcut?
jake_arlington

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 04:19:50 PM »

GERMAN STATE AVATARS

Schleswig-Holstein:

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern:

Hamburg:

Bremen:

Niedersachsen:

Sachsen-Anhalt:

Brandenburg:

Berlin:

Nordrhein-Westfalen:

Hessen:

Thüringen:

Sachsen:

Rheinland-Pfalz:

Saarland:

Baden-Württemberg:

Bayern:

P.S. Mercator rules, always and forever!
jake_arlington

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 09:14:42 AM »

I suppose you could create a thread here:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?board=110.0

Use a subject line that will get Dave's attention.

Don't u even have his contact info, to ask him .
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies