Updates to forum (ongoing)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:35:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Updates to forum (ongoing)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Author Topic: Updates to forum (ongoing)  (Read 31126 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: November 08, 2020, 04:19:51 PM »

Considering how small Atlanta proper is relative to the metro, I don't think one would work.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #226 on: November 08, 2020, 05:19:12 PM »

Considering how small Atlanta proper is relative to the metro, I don't think one would work.

Uhm...we have an LAX avatar even though LA proper is laughably small within the whole Los Angeles metro area, lol

The City of Atlanta has an iconic enough shape, and a Southern city is needed for regional balance (and ATL is the logical choice here)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #227 on: November 08, 2020, 05:53:55 PM »

Frankly all of the city avatars so far have been stupid and largely unrecognizable.

What I think would be the most useful addition to the current forum would be the addition of a button to the editor for embedding youtube videos like the one embedding tweets.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2020, 11:35:34 AM »

Frankly all of the city avatars so far have been stupid and largely unrecognizable.

What I think would be the most useful addition to the current forum would be the addition of a button to the editor for embedding youtube videos like the one embedding tweets.

There is a button, but it's only on the advanced editor. The old editor is more or less a deprecated feature and is only still around to give people a choice.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #229 on: November 09, 2020, 03:22:36 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2020, 03:50:03 PM by True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자) »

There is a button, but it's only on the advanced editor. The old editor is more or less a deprecated feature and is only still around to give people a choice.
I see that now, but I also see the new editor is still finicky about list (and presumably table) formatting.

The new editor is apparently no longer producing errors when editing/quoting posts when the formatting codes don't match its expectations of how they should be pretty printed, but it's still annoyingly insisting on its standard that adds extra newlines, even when you edit in source code mode.

That said, unless it would be a complicated change, there appears to be plenty of room to add the YouTube and Instagram buttons of the new editor to the old editor.

Also, I didn't see a button for the [tt] tag in the new editor, tho I suppose [font=monospace] would also work. I don't use the [tt] tag that often, so it doesn't matter to me.  If you do anything with fonts, a shortcut for [font=cursive] is what I personally would most appreciate, or even better having a way to include all the base CSS fonts of cursive, monospace, serif, and sans-serif easily. (Does anyone even bother with fantasy these days?)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #230 on: November 09, 2020, 05:47:31 PM »

The "Make profile visible to registered forum members only" in the forum options section of the profile shouldn't exist or profiles should be visible.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #231 on: November 09, 2020, 06:38:14 PM »

The advanced post editor is a 3rd party plugin which the new smf 3.0 uses, and I ported it from that. I only edited it to make the emoticons use css sprites instead of individual images, along with a few new bbcodes back in 2018.

If there are problems with it, which seem to be fairly marginal (thankfully, since the project's github page seems to be abandoned), then it is what it is, unfortunately. I don't have the time to go through the source code to figure it out. I did try a long time ago, but hundreds of lines of someone else's string parsing javascript code is incredibly annoying to dig around in. If anyone wants to propose a solution with the relevant code changes, I'd be happy to implement it if it's in working order, but otherwise the current functionality is pretty much locked-in.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #232 on: November 09, 2020, 07:15:04 PM »

What we have is usable, tho I expect I'll stick with the old editor for now.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #233 on: November 09, 2020, 09:19:26 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2020, 09:22:35 PM by Scott🍁 »

For the record, I would argue that Chicago and NYC are easily recognizable shapes, at least to most people on this site.

I've never been a fan of the Los Angeles avatar. In addition to being butt ugly (and inaccurate, because Beverley Hills looks incorporated rather than carved out as a separate city like it legally is) - no offense to whoever made it - it's not culturally or politically distinct enough from the rest of California and the same cannot be said about the other two cities.

An Atlanta metro avatar could be justified, but would only work if it encompassed several counties and would still end up looking like a blob.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #234 on: November 09, 2020, 11:45:03 PM »

For the record, I would argue that Chicago and NYC are easily recognizable shapes, at least to most people on this site.

NYC is marginally recognizable thanks to Manhattan, but Chicago isn't really that distinctive a shape.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #235 on: November 10, 2020, 03:17:11 AM »

This is likely because I am a geography geek and I'm not American, but I find the shapes of New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Philadelphia, all very recognizable.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #236 on: November 11, 2020, 04:14:20 AM »

Is there an option to make it so posting a long link or a string of text won’t make a thread wide and sometimes unreadable?

Example here
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #237 on: November 11, 2020, 07:39:09 AM »

I edited the link, but it's actually the image that is stretching the page out.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: April 08, 2022, 08:00:56 PM »

Post count group update

In addition to the "Atlas Prophet" addition at 100,000 posts a few weeks ago, "Concerned Citizen" (5k - 9,999k) has been renamed "Junior Chimp"
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #239 on: April 08, 2022, 10:08:39 PM »

Post count group update

In addition to the "Atlas Prophet" addition at 100,000 posts a few weeks ago, "Concerned Citizen" (5k - 9,999k) has been renamed "Junior Chimp"

Will other ranks be replaced as well? What about Senior Chimp?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #240 on: April 17, 2022, 10:05:35 PM »

Post count group update

any particular reason?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #241 on: May 03, 2022, 06:41:55 PM »

Post count group update

Could you introduce the user icon "Junior Chump" for all antisocial 14-y.o. trolls?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #242 on: May 03, 2022, 07:01:02 PM »

Post count group update

Could you introduce the user icon "Junior Chump" for all antisocial 14-y.o. trolls?
List the "trolls"?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies