Durbin and Duckworth's Senate successors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:14:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Durbin and Duckworth's Senate successors
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Durbin and Duckworth's Senate successors  (Read 2586 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2020, 08:18:07 PM »

Illinois Republicans can win at the statewide level, I don't think they can replicate Mark Kirk's 2010 success unless the right circumstances.

Who do you see as Dick Durbin and Tammy Duckworth's Senate successors?

Durbin: Cheri Bustos or Jerry Costello Jr. (Costello Jr. is a Glenn Poshard-Joe Manchin type Democrat. Democrats have Chicagoland as the party base but they should appeal to downstate IL as well)

Duckworth: If she is VP, Alexi Giannoulias would be a good replacement. He's 44 and still looks good for his age.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 08:26:09 PM »

Cheri Bustos, Lisa Madigan, & Daniel Biss all come to mind.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 09:13:01 PM »

Lauren Underwood and Cheri Bustos.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 09:15:11 PM »

Bustos is basically Durbin's handpicked successor, and I highly anticipate expect Underwood will go for Duckworth's seat in the event that Duckworth is picked as VP.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 09:43:43 PM »

I agree with the consensus. Bustos for Durbin (the Downstate seat) and Underwood for Duckworth (the Chicago seat).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 10:51:27 PM »

Durbin and Duckworth are staying in the SENATE 2020, 2022 and 2024 are Dem favored maps. Dems don't have term limits for statewide races, and Mayor Daley, Pat Quinn, Jesse White and Lisa Madigan have longevity. Dems should have a good majority in all three cycles. KS, MT, and NC looks good for D chances in 2020 as wave insurance
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 11:18:22 PM »

Me and RINO Tom
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 03:58:56 AM »

Endorsed. When can I volunteer?
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 09:13:11 AM »

I agree with the consensus. Bustos for Durbin (the Downstate seat) and Underwood for Duckworth (the Chicago seat).

I like this outcome but also huge fan of Daniel Biss so hope he'd be a contender for the Chicago seat, as well. Maybe if Underwood decides she wants to stay in the House or run for Governor down the line or something.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 09:21:19 AM »

Bustos, yes.  Underwood though would have an extremely tough time.  There are so many Chicago pols who would be eyeing an open Duckworth seat.  Underwoods popularity with the online left won't translate into votes or support among Chicago's Democratic organization.  The seat would almost undoubtedly go to someone in Cook County.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 10:11:37 AM »

I’m 30, so as soon as Durbin announces his retirement, we’re good to go
PAK Man

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 11:44:31 AM »

Bustos for sure. I don't know about Underwood, though. Lisa Madigan will run for something someday, but I think she's waiting for her father to be out of the picture before she does, because whatever she does will be overshadowed by him and his influence.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 11:52:14 AM »

Is Kwame Raoul more interested in becoming governor?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 01:23:24 PM »

Lol, not saying he'd win a primary, but keep an eye out for Rahm Emanuel to come out of the woodwork if a Senate seat comes open.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 01:28:59 PM »

I would love to see Cheri Bustos run for US Senate. It is not like she will be able to hold on to her district indefinitely.

Though I have a hunch Lauren Underwood will run for US Senate or statewide within the next decade.

Sean Casten strikes me as someone who will stay in congress for a very long time and Rauner may be the last Republican to win the district's current boundaries for a very long time.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 01:34:51 PM »

Lol, not saying he'd win a primary, but keep an eye out for Rahm Emanuel to come out of the woodwork if a Senate seat comes open.

"The villages of Mayapur, India, speak of 5 stones that were given to Sankara by the Hindu god Shiva. Legend claims that he who holds the 5 stones will rule the world. I HAVE 4 OF THOSE STONES!" - Rahm Emanuel
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 01:36:01 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2020, 01:40:09 PM by Councilor Gracile »

Bustos for sure. I don't know about Underwood, though. Lisa Madigan will run for something someday, but I think she's waiting for her father to be out of the picture before she does, because whatever she does will be overshadowed by him and his influence.

Eh, I don't know. Madigan has turned down the opportunity to run for another statewide office several times (when she could have very easily won), and I'm not entirely sure her father continuing to be Speaker is the whole reason. At the very least, she might be old news by the time a Senate seat opens up again.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 01:39:26 PM »

Lauren Underwood and Juliana Stratton.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 01:58:43 PM »

That would be a dream come true.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 02:57:03 PM »

Two names that haven't been mentioned, but should: Betsy Dirksen Londrigan, if she wins, is a likely successor to Durbin — downstate and a former Durbin staffer. Bustos could still win, but Londrigan would likely have his backing.

The other candidate to watch is Raja Krishnamoorthi. He's got more than $6mil in his campaign account and continues to post massive fundraising numbers, despite not having an opponent this fall. Gotta spend it on something...
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 03:10:52 PM »

Two names that haven't been mentioned, but should: Betsy Dirksen Londrigan, if she wins, is a likely successor to Durbin — downstate and a former Durbin staffer. Bustos could still win, but Londrigan would likely have his backing.

The other candidate to watch is Raja Krishnamoorthi. He's got more than $6mil in his campaign account and continues to post massive fundraising numbers, despite not having an opponent this fall. Gotta spend it on something...

Yes, Krishnamoorthi's impressive fundraising is a sign that he has his eye on something higher than the House. His media appearances during the Impeachment inquiry and Obama connections may also prove helpful in a future run.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies