60% of America approves of Trump handling of coronavirus pandemic - Gallup poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 07:22:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  60% of America approves of Trump handling of coronavirus pandemic - Gallup poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 60% of America approves of Trump handling of coronavirus pandemic - Gallup poll  (Read 4089 times)
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2020, 10:08:22 PM »

Also, back to the Carter comparison,  even if Carter secured the release of the hostages he still likely would've lost to Reagan due to the economy. In other words, even if the virus dies down significantly, the economic effect of this could still be felt and could sink Trump.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2020, 10:13:10 PM »

I see this being a bit like the 1979-1980 hostage crisis in that it first is a boost for the President (Carter got a much, much bigger boost though) and then becomes a liability.
Trump is not Carter. Democrats confidence about this election is laughable. They are not in a good position right now.  Trump is no Reagan or Clinton politically but he isn't Carter. This is a 2004 2012 type election.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2020, 10:21:02 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2020, 10:29:49 PM by President Pericles »

I see this being a bit like the 1979-1980 hostage crisis in that it first is a boost for the President (Carter got a much, much bigger boost though) and then becomes a liability.
Trump is not Carter. Democrats confidence about this election is laughable. They are not in a good position right now.  Trump is no Reagan or Clinton politically but he isn't Carter. This is a 2004 2012 type election.

Well you're right, Jimmy Carter was actually a decent human being.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2020, 10:21:08 PM »

Can we not ignore these polls were conducted before Trump decided to start effectively threatening genocide for the sake of the economy [saying most recent unprecedentedly awful thing he has said over the past 3 years]? These are based on promises that have all since been broken [over the past 3 years].
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2020, 10:21:56 PM »

Trump has finally been forced to reckon with that this is a real problem and his confidence games cannot paper over the problem. He has gotten better by being more humble. The Democrats and reporters are reduced to nitpicking certain parts of what he says like his hope that it will be over by Easter, but they look very petty doing so. Because he has been clear that it won't necessarily happen. Let me guess, if this isn't over by Easter the Democrats will run ads bashing him for wishing it will be over by Easter, but many people will realize he was just expressing a hope has been open that it may not materialize.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2020, 10:51:07 PM »

Can we not ignore these polls were conducted before Trump decided to start effectively threatening genocide for the sake of the economy [saying most recent unprecedentedly awful thing he has said over the past 3 years]? These are based on promises that have all since been broken [over the past 3 years].

Except the past 3 years were not about public health crises that affect the day-to-day life of Americans.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2020, 11:10:00 PM »

Except the past 3 years were not about public health crises that affect the day-to-day life of Americans.

And yet people are still saying they approve of his handling of it - more so than of any other major action he's taken thus far.

Occam's razor and all that. "Rally around the flag effect" and all that can be said, but hoping fortunes take an opposite turn is not the most logical assumption to make a few months prior to an election.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2020, 12:15:42 AM »

And yet people are still saying they approve of his handling of it - more so than of any other major action he's taken thus far.

Occam's razor and all that. "Rally around the flag effect" and all that can be said, but hoping fortunes take an opposite turn is not the most logical assumption to make a few months prior to an election.

Trump's approval over the handling increased based on promises of cash handouts, increased testing, some miracle cure being just around the corner, and getting the virus under control--since he said those things that raised his approval, the exact opposite has happened on each and every one. This is not simply Trump saying controversial things but making grand promises regarding actions taken during an unprecedented crisis, promises which there were no follow through on.

It's no different than the blind faith the Bernie people put into his promises, except in Trump's case a much more dangerous and mean-spirited action.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2020, 01:56:19 AM »

SN 2903 like to put up polls that benefits Rs, Rand Paul and a staffer for Pence have been tested positive for Coronavirus and Tillis and Burr have a 29 percent approval rating and Trump is still behind in every natl poll. The only poll Trump has lead in was a partisan Firehouse poll.

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2020, 02:51:44 AM »

Just wait until the economy starts tanking badly and Mr. Trump's premature "lifting" and downplaying will result into human tragedies.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2020, 03:02:55 AM »

The polls are gonna go up and down based on the 278 EC map that wont change. Trump polls around 45 to 52 percent while Biden polls around 48 to 50 percent; consequently,  Boehner and Speaker Ryan believes in TARP and bailouts to corporations but he hasnt passed a single reform bill that benefits Mainstreets, that's why the 1200K checks are stalled in the Senate. Just like Trump's tax cuts, he doesnt want to pass campaign finance reform, student loan forgiveness or minimum wage increase. Trump won against a scandalous first lady, and she almost won, and Trump needed 3 percent from Gary Johnson in order to win. Dems have Kelly and Bullock to crack the 260 red wall states, just like Toomey on gun control cracked the 278 blue wall states
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2020, 05:25:09 AM »

Let's get one thing right - Trump's response has been the one that is *historically awful* and that's not objective. It's just the truth.

Not to mention, this is one poll and most polls have not shown a *+22* approval rating on the crisis, which is ridiculous. But Gallup has been oversurveying Rs for a while now, so.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2020, 05:41:35 AM »

Notice that his overall approval has barely moved. It's gone up slightly, but overall people still don't like him.

This is going to be a roller coaster of a year. No point in obsessing over every turn his numbers take.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2020, 06:21:43 AM »

Notice that his overall approval has barely moved. It's gone up slightly, but overall people still don't like him.

This is going to be a roller coaster of a year. No point in obsessing over every turn his numbers take.

I find this impossible. I remember in 2012 wanting Obama to win but being totally okay with a Romney victory. When Donald Trump is on the ballot it’s hard not to be swung by emotion. I’d choose 12 years of a Ted Cruz Presidency over 4 more years of Trump.... I loathe him and all he stands for THAT bad. It’s impossible not to obsess over the roller coaster
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 06:27:54 AM »

I find this impossible. I remember in 2012 wanting Obama to win but being totally okay with a Romney victory. When Donald Trump is on the ballot it’s hard not to be swung by emotion. I’d choose 12 years of a Ted Cruz Presidency over 4 more years of Trump.... I loathe him and all he stands for THAT bad. It’s impossible not to obsess over the roller coaster

That is some level of mental stupidity.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 06:42:41 AM »

It's depressing enough if Trump wins in spite of the pandemic. It'll be far worse if he wins because of the pandemic.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2020, 06:56:57 AM »

>blaming democrats for doing their jobs
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2020, 07:10:35 AM »

Oh I totally get that. But enough will happen in this pandemic (unfortunately) that what polls are saying in March may or may not be what people think in November.
rosin
Rookie
Denmark

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2020, 07:17:00 AM »

Because people always vote for the president based on how things are in March.

It also seems that a LOT of Americans really haven't understood what is going on and they think that Trump has "defeated" the pandemic and everything is going back to normality - while in the reality the pandemic is still hoarding with a US growth rate yesterday of more than 25%(!!) - yes, that is currently mainly in NY, but many states are following, also critical swing states like FL, GA, NC and even TX have double digit growth rates.

If there isn't quickly  found a cure (or at least some way to slow down the spreadth), this is soon going to blow up in the head of Trump.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2020, 07:49:06 AM »

Trump is not Carter. Democrats confidence about this election is laughable. They are not in a good position right now.  Trump is no Reagan or Clinton politically but he isn't Carter. This is a 2004 2012 type election.

True, I don’t think Carter’s midterm was anywhere near as catastrophic as 2018 was for Trump.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2020, 09:42:19 AM »

Also, back to the Carter comparison,  even if Carter secured the release of the hostages he still likely would've lost to Reagan due to the economy. In other words, even if the virus dies down significantly, the economic effect of this could still be felt and could sink Trump.

True, expect Trump is doing everything in his power to accelerate the spread of this virus not slow it down. This year is gonna be bad for the entire world but unless Trump gets serious about this it will be particularly bad for the US. He is absolutely Jimmy Carter.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2020, 10:21:22 AM »

Dems should not panic over this Biden has a 48 to 50 approvals and Trump has maintained a 45 to 54 approval rating where leads around 279 are in flux, between 3.5 to 5.5 and Biden is a better candidate than Hilary and Pence makes Trump do everything and never covers for Trump like Karl Rove and Dick Cheney did during 911 and Iraq war. Trump shouldn't have to go out and attack reporters, that what Pence should do, and Pence stood there nodding. Bush W had Karl Rove as the attack dog or Dick Cheney
TWTown
GhostOfHuey
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2020, 10:27:00 AM »

You do realize that Cruz being in power for 12 years would mean the Supreme Court would be conservative for an entire generation right?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2020, 07:02:37 PM »

I don't know what more I can even say about this. I am so f***ing done with this country and its idiot populace.

Can we not ignore these polls were conducted before Trump' comments about opening quarantines due to the economy? These are based on promises that have all since been broken.

Americans won't care. They want to go back to work and their social lives and don't give a s*** if they risk the lives of others, as long as those people in jeopardy aren't people they know and love, of course.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2020, 09:37:21 PM »

I don't know what more I can even say about this. I am so f***ing done with this country and its idiot populace.

Can we not ignore these polls were conducted before Trump' comments about opening quarantines due to the economy? These are based on promises that have all since been broken.

Americans won't care. They want to go back to work and their social lives and don't give a s*** if they risk the lives of others, as long as those people in jeopardy aren't people they know and love, of course.

Umm. Polls show people say they do care. A new poll says Americans are backing a lockdown.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies